Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Franchi Affinity + Parts vs Used Benelli

SlvrDragon50

3 hours ago, Yoakam said:

How about a new Benelli?  I saw a brand new Benelli M2 American on GB for 699 plus 20 shipping.  Granted it was in camo and 26" barrel...but I still think that is one heck of a deal.  No ComforTech stock...but can put a Sims recoil pad on for another $30.  I'm thinking about one just as a pure hunting gun.

I didn't see that one until after I purchased this Franchi, same seller. Great deal. I just can't stand camo guns, and I'd rather put the $200 savings on the Franchi towards work at MOA.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a new Benelli?  I saw a brand new Benelli M2 American on GB for 699 plus 20 shipping.  Granted it was in camo and 26" barrel...but I still think that is one heck of a deal.  No ComforTech stock...but can put a Sims recoil pad on for another $30.  I'm thinking about one just as a pure hunting gun.

Take apart that gun and the franchi, compare parts and function and then let me know why one should pay more money for the Benelli. Granted that is a sweet deal on a Benelli

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, Mercs said:

Take apart that gun and the franchi, compare parts and function and then let me know why one should pay more money for the Benelli. Granted that is a sweet deal on a Benelli

I just prefer the Benelli's inertia system over the Franchi's intertia system.  No other reason. Both are excellent guns.  I suppose the Benelli may retain resale value a little better just for name recognition.  Gotta thank Duck Commander for that.

On 4/25/2018 at 11:55 AM, Yoakam said:

Smoking deal and you won't confuse it on the rack.

I have Steve Rose working up my Franchi Affinity. It won't be the cheapest gun when it's all said and done but hopefully it'll be close to my now lost M2. 

58 minutes ago, Frankly said:

Smoking deal and you won't confuse it on the rack.

I have Steve Rose working up my Franchi Affinity. It won't be the cheapest gun when it's all said and done but hopefully it'll be close to my now lost M2. 

I plan on sending him an M2 shortly for some port work.  I can't bring myself to file/dremel on a $1000 + gun.  I like stuff to be symmetrical ?.

I have the new affinity 3.5. Use it for hunting and 3 gun. Got my extension from moaprecision. For the price of a used Benelli the new franchi affinity does everything the m2 does plus a 7 year oem warranty. 

My affinity 3.5 was 880 out the door and has oversized everything, a mild loading port beveling and opening, chrome lined barrel and super reliable even using low dram 2 3/4 extra lite loads. (Franchi says use 3 dram or more, ive used less with 0 issues) 

For numbers I bought the 26" Franchi Affinity with both youth and adult stocks, 3 flush chokes for $520.

Had Steve Rose at Rose Action Sports do absolutely everything possible including adjustable Dawson pistol sight on rib, 10-round tube, super deep port, radius on trigger guard, polished trigger, welded lifter, Nordic bolt release and handle, bracket, radius on recoil pad, QDs, etc. and it came to $840 with shipping. Not as expensive as TTI but still a hunk of change, he does excellent work. 

$10 or $20 for my FFL transfer based on their mood. 

I may stiple it since I've done 3-4 guns before and don't mind doing it, I'm not horrible at it but nothing fancy. 

I had him put QD mounts ($80 right there) on it but I always forget and they end up on the bolt side of the gun. I've yet to sling a shotgun for any practical reason but still do it as a zombie apocalypse sort of move, just in case! 

I usually spend more than expected, I'm sure you can do something effective for less but once I get rolling I'm all in. Still I managed not to buy the lightened bolt, Briley trigger and A&S trigger guard upgrades so I better check my meds, something must be wrong that I didn't find them essential lol. 

Edited by Frankly

2 hours ago, Frankly said:

For numbers I bought the 26" Franchi Affinity with both youth and adult stocks, 3 flush chokes for $520.

Had Steve Rose at Rose Action Sports do absolutely everything possible including adjustable Dawson pistol sight on rib, 10-round tube, super deep port, radius on trigger guard, polished trigger, welded lifter, Nordic bolt release and handle, bracket, radius on recoil pad, QDs, etc. and it came to $840 with shipping. Not as expensive as TTI but still a hunk of change, he does excellent work. 

$10 or $20 for my FFL transfer based on their mood. 

I may stiple it since I've done 3-4 guns before and don't mind doing it, I'm not horrible at it but nothing fancy. 

I had him put QD mounts ($80 right there) on it but I always forget and they end up on the bolt side of the gun. I've yet to sling a shotgun for any practical reason but still do it as a zombie apocalypse sort of move, just in case! 

I usually spend more than expected, I'm sure you can do something effective for less but once I get rolling I'm all in. Still I managed not to buy the lightened bolt, Briley trigger and A&S trigger guard upgrades so I better check my meds, something must be wrong that I didn't find them essential lol. 

Wow, fantastic deal. I still have no clue how much my work at MOA wil cost, been asking for a quote, but he's just been so busy. I have a ballpark amount ~355 with the M3k competition package, costs a bit more because of the TTI lifter. When will you receive the shotgun? Also, when you say radius on recoil pad, what does that mean (complete noob remember)? I'm 99% against the lightened bolt as many people seem to be against it, including smiths, with little benefit. Won't be getting the Briley and A&S unless I find myself becoming a GM in 3 gun :P 

Good luck achieving Grand Master in 3G ? 

It's just grinding the corner off the recoil pad so it doesn't catch on your shirt, easy enough to do at home. Those of us unsponsored and beer-gutted don't wear those tight lycra man-boob exhibiting shooting shirts. 

Edited by Frankly

Pictures forthcoming but I got my Franchi Affinity back from Rose Action Sports and, having owned both a Beretta 1301 and Benelli M2 with full 3G mods, I can't see any difference in build quality. Same plastic, same degree of fit and finish, everything is smooth and works nicely. Steve's modifications are top notch, he said it was a lot easier to open up the loading port because the receiver is a lot thicker than the Stoeger. The port is huge and even clumsy fumble-fingered Frank is throwing the shells in. 

I also like that you can ghost load without modification (it still takes a moment to do it right) and there is a factory notch in the trigger guard that isn't as slick as the A&S trigger guard but it's better than anybody else's OEM trigger guard. The only thing I can gripe about is the cosmetics are a little more modern on the Benelli, only the decorative stuff and that's subjective and minor as they are practically the same black profile. 

Having the spring on the mag tube makes it easier to inspect, I don't see a downside. 

Shot slugs at POA/POI stock out of the box and I didn't need any cast adjustment. Steve polished the trigger, I can't imagine spending more on it could make it better, it's very nice.

Only thing odd is the recoil pad, it has a funky "design" shape that would make fitting an aftermarket KickEzz or similar an epic little project that's not worth hundreds of dollars or hours of time. It's fine as is and keeps a low profile. 

It does recoil a bit harder than the gas operated Beretta but note my second 1301 is in the classifieds. This loads easier and every indication is it's going to be a more reliable solid gun. Surprised these haven't been more popular earlier, what a bargain at $500!

I haven't met any bad gunsmiths in the 3G world (locals can vary...) and I have also worked with C-Rums and Taran, they're great. But Steve Rose at Rose Action Sports knows these Franchis and does great work, highest recommendation. You can see how long he took in this thread - just a few weeks - compared to other guys taking longer. 

Edited by Frankly

4 hours ago, Frankly said:

Pictures forthcoming but I got my Franchi Affinity back from Rose Action Sports .....

I also like that you can ghost load without modification (it still takes a moment to do it right) and there is a factory notch in the trigger guard that isn't as slick as the A&S trigger guard but it's better than anybody else's OEM trigger guard.

Thanks for the kind words Frank, glad you like that Franchi.

One bit of clarification, we did mill the groove in the front of the trigger guard. Out of the box the trigger guard is flat like most other brands.

Franchi1.jpg

Edited by GunCat

41 minutes ago, GunCat said:

One bit of clarification, we did mill the groove in the front of the trigger guard. Out of the box the trigger guard is flat like most other brands.

I didn't catch that so apologies and thank you for the extra work!

Franchi1.thumb.jpg.5ccf5f75c2225b3a3323b757d0968af1.jpg

That loading port is unreal, nice work!

20 hours ago, Mercs said:

Anyone have any idea on a good recoil pad to fit the Affinity Compact stock?

Limbsaver from what I read. I talked to Tom at MOA, and he suggested only changing the recoil pad if you wanted to change the length of pull, otherwise it is pretty good at minimizing recoil. That loading port is absolutely huge. I should hopefully get my Franchi by the next week!

Limbsaver from what I read. I talked to Tom at MOA, and he suggested only changing the recoil pad if you wanted to change the length of pull, otherwise it is pretty good at minimizing recoil. That loading port is absolutely huge. I should hopefully get my Franchi by the next week!

I ordered a medium sized limbsaver and it seems too big besides the fact the screw holes don’t line up. I can adapt the screw holes myself but I’m just not sure if I’m in the ballpark with the size of this pad. Does this look like the right one I should grind to fit? I would rather order the right one if I made a mistake

802f1960b865fa58e9dd6b2bf740235f.jpg

I thought 10810 was the best fit, but I didn't have a pad to measure myself. 
NSXZs2S.png

Thanks I’ll check this one out

I'm dying to get mine. And I don't even know where to buy shells :( Unfortunately the range I shoot at charges way too much per box of shells, and I'm struggling to find an online retailer who will ship to me.

Are you quadloading your Franchi? I'm hoping my Franchi's port is that big!

8 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

I'm dying to get mine. And I don't even know where to buy shells :( Unfortunately the range I shoot at charges way too much per box of shells, and I'm struggling to find an online retailer who will ship to me.

Are you quadloading your Franchi? I'm hoping my Franchi's port is that big!

Thanks. Be careful removing material, you can go too far... there are threads about this, how not to ruin your receiver. 

You're right, the shipping costs of flats of shells make mail order birdshot uncompetitive. I have a local gun shop who will sell flats (cases of 10 x 25 boxes) of birdshot/clays rounds (12g, 7.5 to 8 shot, 1  oz to 1-1/4 oz range or close) name brand ammo for prices similar to the big box stores... $55 to $65 a case or flat. But we have a big community of sporting clay fudds here in the suburbs... look for the place that sells fancy Italian over and unders, those guys shoot a lot. 

Otherwise most people hold their noses and buy at a big box sporting goods or Walmart

Perhaps if you were a serious clays shooter you'd spend more on target ammo but I don't know anyone who does. People do have preferences based on testing their patterns but when there was the mass ammo shortage a few years back people shot anything. 

Personally I use mostly Federal, never had a dud and it seems cleaner than the foreign made stuff and it isn't Remington. 

I don't shoot much but I try to keep 8-10 flats at all times. Those would get me through another ammo shortage or apocalypse if I'm prudent. 

Edited by Frankly

I found it’s the medium grind-to-fit Limbsaver and Kickeez pad that will fit the Affinity Compact stock. Screw holes need adapting too. Trying to get to about 13 3/4” LOP using the Compact stock. Kickeez has spacers.... looking into Pachmyr options also

FWIW the Taran Tactical oversized safety drops into the Franchi Affinity but if it rotates (and it can) it could hang up on the trigger housing. 10 seconds with the Dremel will take off a 1/32 of plastic that touches, now the safety rotates freely (which is slightly annoying but doesn't matter). 

20180512_iphone_0693.jpg

The Franchi smells like prosciutto when you stipple it. 

IMG_5464.jpg

Looks like that top left corner needs more work... it's a two night job to fill it all in. 

There is a secret compartment in the bottom of the wrist, not sure what to put in it, I think a non-extended choke could probably fit but you'd still need a wrench. 

Edited by Frankly