Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Franchi Affinity + Parts vs Used Benelli

SlvrDragon50

I've got my rifle and pistol now, and I'm starting to look towards a shotgun purchase. I am a buy once, cry once type of person so I don't mind spending some money as long as it results in not spending thousands more upgrading and upgrading.

I've seen some great tuned Benelli M2 deals here on BE for ~$1800 or so, but it looks like I can get a a Franchi Affinity 3.0 tuned for ~$1300. After reading a lot of threads on the similarity between the Franchi and Benelli, I'm leaning towards Franchi simply because I'm not a pro, and it seems like the Affinity is practically the same gun as the M2.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a full race m2 done by Accurate Iron and it was an absolutely fantastic gun! I ended up selling it and recently purchased a franchi affinity simply due to the money. I picked up a brand new affinity for 525 and figure I'll be in another 500-600 and I will have a shotgun that is 90% of what my m2 was for 50% of the cost.

12 hours ago, jswhitesell619 said:

I've had a full race m2 done by Accurate Iron and it was an absolutely fantastic gun! I ended up selling it and recently purchased a franchi affinity simply due to the money. I picked up a brand new affinity for 525 and figure I'll be in another 500-600 and I will have a shotgun that is 90% of what my m2 was for 50% of the cost.

Great, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I saw the AI M2 here that was real tempting until I read the Franchi reviews. I think the M3k vs M2 would be a little easier to decide (just a bit... in favor of the M2).

Are you planning on doing the work yourself or sending it off? I sent MOA an email, but I didn't hear back. Unfortunately it seems Franchis have gone up to ~$650-700 now :( 

Edited by SlvrDragon50

I sent MOA an email too and haven't heard back, I'm going to give them a call this week or message Tom on Facebook. I'm hoping the A&S trigger guard goes for sale here shortly so I can pick one of those up too. I'm going to stipple the stock myself but let Tom do the portwork and other misc things to make it ready.

1 hour ago, jswhitesell619 said:

I sent MOA an email too and haven't heard back, I'm going to give them a call this week or message Tom on Facebook. I'm hoping the A&S trigger guard goes for sale here shortly so I can pick one of those up too. I'm going to stipple the stock myself but let Tom do the portwork and other misc things to make it ready.

Gotcha. Where'd you get the Affinity from btw? $680 is the lowest I can find. Also did you get the 28"?

I don't mind doing trigger work, but I'm hesitant about the portwork.

I bought it off armslist, nib a guy won it at a friend's of the NRA banquet. Before that I was about to pick one up at that $680-$700 range. I did pick up a 28" gun simply because of the price I paid. My m2 with a 26" tube and extended choke was still shorter then the tube I had on so the 2" of barrel weighs practically nothing and will not hinder me.

1 hour ago, jswhitesell619 said:

I bought it off armslist, nib a guy won it at a friend's of the NRA banquet. Before that I was about to pick one up at that $680-$700 range. I did pick up a 28" gun simply because of the price I paid. My m2 with a 26" tube and extended choke was still shorter then the tube I had on so the 2" of barrel weighs practically nothing and will not hinder me.

Dang! Lucky!

I am leaning towards the 28"  myself simply because it seems to be cheaper and more available. Please do update on how the gun shoots when you finish upgrading it (as well as a list of upgrades!). I'm brand new to the world of 3 gun. Rifles and handguns I understand pretty well. Shotguns, I'm pretty lost.

I bought a 26” Franchi Affinity 3.0 12ga with the intention of using it as a backup to a M2 Field. However when I got it, I found that I really liked the Franchi! What a great shotgun for $600.

I ordered the compact stock for a shorter LOP and have been adjusting drop/cast. It’s patterning perfectly. I also undercut the trigger guard with a feed ramp. Turned out pretty nice but then I saw A&S Engineering’s enhanced M2 trigger guard. Talking to them, I found out the Franchi version was available so I snagged one. Great piece of kit! Finished the trigger group off with a Taran Tactical safety and springs. I may have Briley do their trigger parts swap for 922r. I also added a GG&G oversized catch release but kept the stock oversized handle. Next I had C-RUMS open up the loading port and weld the lifter. Jeff does a great job. His welded lifter is even nicer than the Taran Tactical M2 lifter I have. Next I picked up a Carbon Arms M3K monotube magazine and am having the receiver end rethreaded (won’t fit Franchi). Also added a Hiviz Tricomp sight and Or3gun follower. I’m pretty much done other than stippling the handguard, ceracoting some parts, and maybe milling in a rear sight for slugs.

Some thoughts:

- no bolt mod needed to ghost load the Franchi

- 40min under a heat gun to remove the magazine

- many parts are Benelli M2 compatible

- fit and finish are definitely Benelli

- it’s weight biased more forward than the M2

- polishing the magazine really smooths the action

- reliably cycles everything I feed it

I'm currently talking to MOA about putting a build together.

Planning on:

26" Barrel

10+1 magazine

TTI Lifter

Loading port opened for quad loads

MOA Follower

Oversized bolt release

Oversized charging handle

HiViz Sight

Not sure what else should be done. That trigger guard is gorgeous, decent chunk of change though.

1 minute ago, jswhitesell619 said:

Glad to hear you talked with MOA as well! I'm in the same planning stage but am planning on the A&S trigger guard as well for mods. kilyung, could you post up your c rums port? Would love to see it

Does the A&S trigger guard really make that big of a difference? I haven't really seen any mention of replacing the trigger guard (on any gun) until this thread.

I just bought a 26” Affinity on Gunbroker new for $500 and it comes with the compact stock also, which you can just resell if you want. There are still a few more available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Mercs said:

I just bought a 26” Affinity on Gunbroker new for $500 and it comes with the compact stock also, which you can just resell if you want. There are still a few more available

Dang! How are you guys getting all these Franchis for so cheap?? Can you link me? 

Don't see it.

5 hours ago, Frankly said:

Are you buying the Franchi Affinity 3 or 3.5 models?

Would a receiver that takes 3.5” shells be easier to enlarge and load? 

I have a 3" gun. Sometimes the 3.5" guns are sprung stiffer and require stiffer loads.

Edited by jswhitesell619

2 hours ago, Mercs said:

No prob, here ya go. Best deal I’ve seen on one of these in awhile. https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/762697249

Awesome, thanks. I can't decide if I'm better off just getting the Franchi from MOA or ordering this one and then sending it to MOA. Seems like after shipping and all it might just be cheaper to go through MOA? Or are you allowed to ship direct to MOA then have it shipped to your FFL? I've never done custom work before.

Awesome, thanks. I can't decide if I'm better off just getting the Franchi from MOA or ordering this one and then sending it to MOA. Seems like after shipping and all it might just be cheaper to go through MOA? Or are you allowed to ship direct to MOA then have it shipped to your FFL? I've never done custom work before.

I’ve never dealt with MOA, but most likely you will have to ship to your dealer first to complete the sale then ship to MOA. Don’t quote me on that though

14 minutes ago, Mercs said:

I’ve never dealt with MOA, but most likely you will have to ship to your dealer first to complete the sale then ship to MOA. Don’t quote me on that though

Just spoke to MOA and can have it shipped directly to save a bit! I haven't placed the order yet though as I was hoping to get a confirmation that the item number is correct. The price is absolutely insane on the deal (MOA said it's below dealer cost). I don't wanna end up buying a $500 shotgun that I can't use!

I bought the $500 Affinity just a moment ago, figured I can't get burned too bad on that deal, the seller has excellent feedback and all seems legit. 

Nothing against MOA but I've worked with Rose Action Sports and Steve is great, had them ship directly to him for some work. 

Thank you @Mercs very much for the tip on the deal! 

Edited by Frankly

1 hour ago, Frankly said:

I bought the $500 Affinity just a moment ago, figured I can't get burned too bad on that deal, the seller has excellent feedback and all seems legit. 

Nothing against MOA but I've worked with Rose Action Sports and Steve is great, had them ship directly to him for some work. 

Thank you @Mercs very much for the tip on the deal! 

Ahh so you're the one who put me into panic!!! I had it on watch and saw it was bought and relisted. I just bought the last one since I didn't want to risk it selling out.

I am going with MOA simply because Jesse Tischauser recommended them, but it seems like there are plenty of great gunsmiths.

Thank you [mention=67628]Mercs[/mention] very much for the tip on the deal! 

For sure, I myself have been looking for a deal on one for a few months on and off, and then this blowout sale came along. You can sell the compact stock and knock another $100 or so off the cost. Or sell the full size if you want the compact. Both stocks are sort of hard to find

59 minutes ago, Mercs said:

For sure, I myself have been looking for a deal on one for a few months on and off, and then this blowout sale came along. You can sell the compact stock and knock another $100 or so off the cost. Or sell the full size if you want the compact. Both stocks are sort of hard to find

Music to my ears! Now it's just a pain trying to find an FFL to pick up here in Illinois. Pretty sure they can transfer long arms to me (FL resident), but it seems they just don't want to. Really don't want to fly back home just to pick it up.