Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need advice on which Invictus Practical shell holders to buy.

I'm just starting off in 3gun having only done only one match last year with borrowed equipment.  I had a chance to try some IP shell holders and like them.  It was recommended to me to have the ability to carry at least 24 shells on my person.  I have around a 33" waist and use an Ares Aegis belt.  The belt has a large buckle that limits my ability to run shell holders too far forward.  Would it be better to go with two Rack 12Qs or three 2-point Eights? 

Perhaps (1) 12Q and (2) 2.8.  ;)

Thus, more shell capacity in almost the same space.

I like to angle mine to match the angle of my wrist *for that position*, numbering each caddy I have so it goes back in the same spot on the belt and thus set up for that natural wrist angle.

The ability to have separate caddies may also help you distinguish between different shells to keep stage planning/on the clock adjustments easy to manage.  For example, I'll run all bird up front, then stick a quad or 2.8 off to the side with slugs so I don't accidentally mix them in and slug a bird target.

I have numerous IP shell caddies and their holster hanger, so drop me a line if you have any questions.

I'd get a chest rig. I have both the DTV.8x32 and the DTV.8x24. The 32 is what I'd go with if I were buying 2 of them again. Having 32 shells will get you through most locals and you can borrow additional gear at a major. You can also separate different shot types on the vest or do what I do and keep bird shot on the vest and slug/buck in caddies on a large mixed load stage. 

If you're set on the belt, definitely go with 2.8-Whatever attachment or the R12Q. The Rack 12 will give you the most bang for your buck in terms of limited waist space outside of a chest rig. The 8's will let you carry only what you need for a stage. 

Not a fan of chest rigs, but that's just me.  They get in the way, move around, are not ideal for stages where prone is included.......

That being said.......the newer chest rigs will have an update to them to be used as thigh rigs, which I think have benefits compared to chest.  :) 

I’m also running the Safariland ELS system that allows me some flexibility to move things around based on the stage. Unsure if you’re loading strong hand or weak hand, but you can create some extra space on your belt by learning to do both. 

frankly imo it's ridiculous we have to have this discussion.  sure, make everyone do a full (~ 8 rounds) reload on the clock because why not, but having to schlep around more than 8-10 shells is just crazy.  all the real estate it takes up.  the insane cost of the shell caddies.  the complete insecurity of holding shot shells vs the high security of rifle and pistol magazines and mag pouches.  shottie is just impractical in the ammo form factor vs 20 round pistol mags and 30 round rifle mags.  ok, rant over.

Agree with everything AW has said. I run an R12Q and a 2.8 full time with a ton more I can add and a chest rig if needed. Hate chest rigs on account of the fact that they suck balls but it's good to have on occasion.

• 2 months later...

I use the chest rig and love it I personally don’t like to run more then 12 on my belt so use Carbon Arms for my belt setup and for larger shotgun stages go right to the chest rig 

• 1 month later...