Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Modifying Synthetic Stock

lwink

Got a newer gun that has a synthetic stock that I don't shoot as well as some. That may be a nice way of putting it - it's a little short and low for my lanky frame. My actual trap gun in an over under with fully adjustable and fitted furniture, it's a dream. My question is have any of you had luck finding someone that will work through fitting on synthetic stocks as well?? I'm in front range colorado but would travel or ship if needed. 

dependent on the gun you could purchase an adjustable stock and fit yourself. Or if not available you can add adhesive foam cheek riser to the comb. They have a psa backing that sticks good if you clean the synthetic stock first. You can adjust the length of pull by adding plastic or aluminum spacers, you might want to add a recoil reducer to the stock. Your dimensions can be picked up off your trap gun as a starting point. You did not say what sport you were going to shoot with this gun, 3 gun or something other than trap, so you dimensions may need to be reduced a little. While you make you adjustments you can shot a point of impact target at 10 -12 yards, draw a cross hair  on a 4foot square of cardboard and shoot directly (flat)at it. The shot will not spread and it will give you a starting location for the setup, gun shoots high, or low and make adjustments. You could call Ray Stafford in Broomfield , CO. He is a pro shooter and should be able to help. Rays number is 303-465-1006. Good Luck.

The synthetics I have owned we’re all hollow. Some sort of molded shell. Very limited options for adjusting them. 

I tried stick on pads for height and add on spacers for length. Didn’t really like the results. I ended up buying aftermarket wood and installing adjustable hardware. Not difficult if you take your time. 

ETA.  I would have been money ahead to just sell the synthetic gun and buy one with wood furniture. 

Edited by practical_man

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

There's a product called "add a comb" which is elastic with spacers you can add. Alsoyou can buy spacers for length.  I did this when I first bought mine,  got a good fit l after trying different sizes.  Helped a lot when I had a new stock fitted.  Just my 2 cents.  

Have fun.