Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Michael Voigt

Sarge

Benos, he used to bring the Terrier out to Norco Running Gun on a regular basis. We would throw shotgun shells out for him to fetch, and he would run back and jump into your arms! 

3 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

Any of you who recall the "combined" rulebook remember what a pain in the butt it could be to use. Based on the IPSC version of rules, it had the so-called 'exceptions' for USPSA noted. It could get quite confusing especially for people new to our pastime. 

Michael worked hard, and fought hard to get our own version of the rulebook. Discussions with the IPSC governing body got quite contentious at times, and IIRC, eventually included threats to kick us out of the organization. To paraphrase, Michael said, go ahead. We're almost as large (or as large as) the rest of the regions combined. We'll just start our own, new confederation. 

He didn't blink. . .they did. 

Thanks, Michael. You did some great work for us.

All Alphas from now on...

Yup, Michael is the USPSA that we have today. The US is USPSA and the rest of the world, is, well, IPSC....

First met him at the last "Run What You Brung" All-in-One Nationals in 2004 at PASA Park. No reentries in other divisions.

I have to confess I had an issue with him at that moment and told him, "If you lose the next election by one vote. . .you can thank me."

He was so composed, and such a gentleman. He thought over what I had said, smiled, and replied, "Thank you for being part of the electoral process."

Hell! He even sent me an email the next week saying the same thing!

A class act, indeed...

**I learned of Michael's illness a few years ago at work. The small group of us there who knew him were shocked by the news but it was tempered by an admonition to not spread it around. We didn't. I hoped it wasn't true. 

Never got to shoot with him, but ran him many many times. Never had a serious issue with him. Good person, great shooter and a gentleman. Go with God Mike. I'm sure it is getting to be a heck of a match up there. Prayers to Maggie, his friends and family.

Jay