Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blitzkrieg Buffer ????

As for me I have owned both hydraulic and spring loaded recoil systems. I have used then with the ULW barrel, an 8.5 inch barrel, a 10.5 inch barrel, and of course the 16 inch barrel. I personally could tell no difference from one to the other, and no difference between them and a heavy buffer with the appropriate spring.

If one of them suits you, by all means use it. As for me, I like the simplicity of the heavy buffer (right now I'm using a Spike's 7.5 ounce, but will try an NFA 8 ounce at a later date). It won't break, and all that's necessary is to choose the best action spring for the job.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have the Taccom, JPSCS and all the standard buffers plus a 7.5oz. None of them seem to be night and day better than the light buffer in my girlfriend’s 9mm rifle. I use 100gr projectiles with a light load and recoil is negligible, as is for bounce. While I don’t think it safe for factory loads, we don’t ever run factory loads, so it’s a good, cheap setup that works. This video shows it with 115 coated lead projos, but I mainly run 100s now.

http://

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, L9X25 said:

My AR15 has a pneumatic buffer as the ONLY means to return the BCG.

You cannot simulate what these devices are doing in your gun by compressing and releasing them with your finger.   While the blitzkrieg hydraulic mechanism does not appear to provide any resistance at the speeds we attain with our fingers, it is likely a different story when the bolt is attempting compressing them fully in .01 second. 

Olympic%20Arms%20AR-15%20Pneumatic%20Rec

Very interesting.  (in my best Sgt Schultz voice).

Checked Olympic Arms website and they show the "AC4 Pneumatic Buffer" as "There are no products matching the selection".

Are they out of stock or discontinued?  I actually never even heard of these before reading your post.

I also appreciate your explanation why the piston cap can keep up with the buffer.  It now makes more sense.

"Back in the day", I had JP build me a "competition" AR and that is what came in it.  The gun has been flawless, super soft and flat,  and never failed, although I have to admit that I have not put a ton of rounds through it.  

Since that time, many products have disappeared from the marketplace for various reasons, some were not durable/reliable, some were too expensive to produce to sell to the public, some just never caught on.  Go to AR15 dot com and propose any improvement and you will be met with a dozen nay sayers (that have never seen your product and have no idea of what it does) but are 101% sure that Eugene Stoner would have originally designed it that way if it was better.  Something as simple as a JP adjustable safety, that will allow you to fit it to any aftermarket trigger, is considered stupid and wildly unsafe.  Have they every tried one?  Hell no! But they are sure it is trash, milspec is as good as it gets.  If your trigger will not work with a milspec safety, you trigger is shit and you should have never changed it in the first place.  

10 minutes ago, L9X25 said:

"Back in the day", I had JP build me a "competition" AR and that is what came in it.  The gun has been flawless, super soft and flat,  and never failed, although I have to admit that I have not put a ton of rounds through it.  

Since that time, many products have disappeared from the marketplace for various reasons, some were not durable/reliable, some were too expensive to produce to sell to the public, some just never caught on.  Go to AR15 dot com and propose any improvement and you will be met with a dozen nay sayers (that have never seen your product and have no idea of what it does) but are 101% sure that Eugene Stoner would have originally designed it that way if it was better.  Something as simple as a JP adjustable safety, that will allow you to fit it to any aftermarket trigger, is considered stupid and wildly unsafe.  Have they every tried one?  Hell no! But they are sure it is trash, milspec is as good as it gets.  If your trigger will not work with a milspec safety, you trigger is shit and you should have never changed it in the first place.  

Great post. Boy! Where have I heard this before. :D

So its like GlockTalk with AR15's.

I'm running the CMMG GUARD 9mm with flat wire carbine spring and Blitzkriegs hyd carbine buffer with 10.5 barrel with CMMG comp. It  feels the most like a DI  gun as any I've shot. It throws the case 6 to 8 feet, running rock river tuned 2.5#. It likes to be run wet, a lite spray to bolt/carrier before it match. It feels like a 223 with adj gas block.  

• 2 months later...
On 4/1/2018 at 6:21 PM, MikieM said:

That is correct. 

I have also owned and sold a Blitzkrieg, and an MBX. They are unnecessary when a simple buffer (correctly weighted) will do, and with all those parts moving inside the tube, breakage can ruin your day when you least expect it.

Friend broke a Blitzkrieg hydraulic buffer during a match today...  It did ruin his day just as you said...  They seem to be fairly fragile.

On 4/7/2018 at 11:12 AM, L9X25 said:

My AR15 has a pneumatic buffer as the ONLY means to return the BCG.  It is similar to a Blitzkrieg, except much larger with a longer stroke and stiffer internal spring.  It does not use an external buffer spring at all.  The unit feels a lot like a screen door regulator and dampens in both directions.   If you compress it with your fingers and release it, it takes longer than a blitzkrieg to fully extend.  Yet, in actual use, you can knock off .1 splits like clockwork.  How is that possible?  At the speed that our BCG travels, the buffer never bleeds off all of the internal pressure/vacuum and the remaining pressure/vacuum adds to the internal spring pressure to return the BCG to the closed position much faster.  The faster that the BCG travels, the more resistance and return pressure it provides. 

You cannot simulate what these devices are doing in your gun by compressing and releasing them with your finger.   While the blitzkrieg hydraulic mechanism does not appear to provide any resistance at the speeds we attain with our fingers, it is likely a different story when the bolt is attempting compressing them fully in .01 second. 

Olympic%20Arms%20AR-15%20Pneumatic%20Rec

This looks like the buffer made by Bansbach of Germany. They are marketed in this country under several different names. I tested three of them. I never had one fail during shooting but  each one died when the rifles were stored. I went to use the rifle and found the bolt collapsed into the buffer tube. OH WHAT FUN!

4 minutes ago, ericskennard said:

I tested three of them. I never had one fail during shooting but  each one died when the rifles were stored. I went to use the rifle and found the bolt collapsed into the buffer tube. OH WHAT FUN!

I was going to say this sounds like a good reason to store your carbine muzzle down but then thought, what if it had failed and you didn't realize it until you fired that first shot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2018 at 4:11 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I have played around with the Blitzkrieg buffer setup a little bit. Right now what feels the best to me is the 308 JP rifle spring in the carbine buffer tube with the Blitzkrieg buffer. I will be trying some spacers and maybe a wave spring if I can borrow one. I like the 308 rifle spring setup since I can still lock the bolt back. I did try short stroking the bolt but the spacer I made was a little too long to reset the Hiperfire trigger. As for splits compared to my JP setup----they are the same for me. Thanks, Eric

What bolt are you using and are you using it with or without the removable mass?

I broke the head off of my Blitz buffer right after Area 7. When I called to get a replacement, I was told they were seeing this type of failure from time to time and asked if I was running it with the bolt weight removed as that is starting to seem like a common factor.   I was at the time running with the bolt weight removed, but after the conversation I had with them, I'll be keeping it in. 

On 4/7/2018 at 7:19 AM, Xanatos903 said:

I don't think that the spring buffers would have the same problem- at least I don't think that the Taccom will. It's all dependent on the spring in the buffer being sufficiently stiff, but I think that the Taccom's is stiff enough to overcome the acceleration of the bolt/buffer system and re-extend the head while it's returning to battery. 

If the Blitzkrieg buffer can't do so it's not because of an inherent design flaw in buffers like this, but because of too much hydraulic damping. You can have the same problem when setting up a motorcycle's suspension- too much rebound damping and your suspension won't be able to accommodate the next bump you hit.

" Taccom's is stiff enough to overcome the acceleration of the bolt/buffer system and re-extend the head while it's returning to battery."

This is the part I question.  When I insert the Taccom the "head" is compress tight against the rest of the body forward against the buffer retainer due to the force of the recoil spring.  So what if anything is that stage actually doing?

• 2 weeks later...

I finally decided to give the Blitzkrieg a try since Botach had them on sale for $89. For comparison purposes I have also run several different buffer systems in my PCCs, including:
1. Standard .223 carbine spring and 3.7 oz buffer used with both Spinta and ATI bolts with and without the weight with 16” barreled upper.
2. Taccom original 2-stage buffer, then added the 3-stage kit later. Original spring was too heavy, switched to .223 spring. Used with Taccom Extreme bolt with and without weight on ULW barreled upper.
3. JP JPSCS29 kit with 4 weights and .223 spring tuning kit. Used with Spinta and Taccom Extreme bolts without weights on both 16” and ULW barreled upper.
4. Blitzkrieg 5007 buffer with JP .308 Carbine spring, Taccom Extreme bolt without weight and 25# wave spring on both ULW barreled upper.

The JPCSC29 with the black or green spring has been my standard buffer for over a year, and it shoots extremely well with light recoil and minimal dot movement in both my 16” and my ULW barreled uppers. That said, I was looking for faster cycling to improve my split times, without causing a detriment to my double tap groups or increasing dot bounce on the ULW barreled upper.

As I mentioned I found the Blitzkrieg RB5007 on sale so I gave it a test with three different loads I use: 100gr Steel Challenge load, 115gr USPSA minor load and 124gr hot loads for spinners. I also picked up some 25# wave springs to try.

The 100gr load felt snappier with the Blitz than it did with the JPSCS2, but dot bounce was about the same. Follow up shots in a double tap were tight like with the JP, but it wasn’t until I broke out the timer that I noticed the splits were much faster, down to .10 with both shots grouped nicely on a 10” plate @ 18 yards. I experimented with a rifle spring, but the JP carbine spring seemed to provide faster cycling with less dot movement. I’m not sure the wave spring really adds anything with this load, as the split time difference with and without were about the same. I kept it in because it still locks open with the bolt catch, so nothing really lost by using it.

The 115gr loads at about 126pf felt similar to the 100gr loads, with a tad more muzzle rise adding a little more distance between double taps. Still both rounds were easily kept on the 10” plate so I anticipate easily double alphas in USPSA (if I can keep the power factory reliably over 125).

The hot 124gr loads had no left to right movement, but had enough muzzle rise to push the second shot straight up and a few inches off the 10” plate. The cycle time was also slower as splits were .14-.17 on average. The hydraulic buffer was clearly bottoming out as evidenced by the severe cupping of the quarter I used between the wave spring and the buffer spring, so much so that I had to push it out using a rod through a hole in the back of the buffer tube. Clearly I have some work to do still for this load, but even still it did exactly what I needed it to do in practice the next day. At 10 yards I could put 4 shots on the top plate and then get 5 shots on the bottom plate of the spinner to spin it, even with the rise caused by bottoming out of the buffer.

All things considered, I think I’ll be running this Blitz buffer for awhile since it seems to perform better where it counts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/3/2018 at 7:49 PM, 3gunnuts said:

" Taccom's is stiff enough to overcome the acceleration of the bolt/buffer system and re-extend the head while it's returning to battery."

This is the part I question.  When I insert the Taccom the "head" is compress tight against the rest of the body forward against the buffer retainer due to the force of the recoil spring.  So what if anything is that stage actually doing?

yup......but what you are not seeing is the return stroke....THAT is when you get the separation between the buffer and the pad......it is supposed to be up against the buffer (close to) as installed. The proof that is happening is that you do not get the gun lurching forward on the return stroke like a standard buffer.

Now....with the short stroke kit, the wave spring actually assists the 2nd stage and is more pronounced on the 3rd stage (return stroke).

Edited by TRUBL
2 hours ago, TRUBL said:

yup......but what you are not seeing is the return stroke....THAT is when you get the separation between the buffer and the pad......it is supposed to be up against the buffer (close to) as installed. The proof that is happening is that you do not get the gun lurching forward on the return stroke like a standard buffer.

Now....with the short stroke kit, the wave spring actually assists the 2nd stage and is more pronounced on the 3rd stage (return stroke).

Short-Stroke upgrade is definitely a HUGE improvement.  I posted up some results in the another thread.

• 4 weeks later...

Essentially, look at the hydraulic buffer, mechanically, much as a 'mono-body' buffer with internal sliding weights (at least at the start of its motion and at the very end)....but just without a covering tube/skin and a degree of energy absorption during the 'slide'.  It's because of where the spring contacts the assembly: at the top collar/head.  So at the start of the recoil, it 'delays' engaging the full inertia of the buffer's mass for a tiny bit.  I still think it hits its farthest rearward travel as one solid/compressed unit, but then when the spring starts moving it back, the rest of the unit 'trails' behind the head until it shuts the bolt, and the full mass eventually follows.  Like absorbing the push-up and landing impact of a bouncing platform by bending at the knees.

But since it's still essentially a solid unit when it hits the back of the buffer tube, it's probably why some like to go with a short wave spring or bumper in the back to cushion that impact.   By itself with just a buffer spring, I guess the theory is that it softens the impact of at least two out of 3 points of the entire cycle, and thus adds up to a smoother perceived recoil/impulse.

Like others have noted, I have noticed that the tension/resistance of the 9mm-model Hydro buffer is noticeably less than that on a 5.56-model when compressed by hand.  When I called Kynshot about it (concerned that I may have gotten a broken 9mm-model), I was told that's normal because the 9mm system cycles much faster and harder than a 5.56, so that increased speed would pressurize the fluid faster and create the needed resistance/cushioning appropriately.

I also noticed a considerable difference with factory WWB 115-gr (hotter) and various slower/softer factory and reloads.  Big difference, really.

Edited by MoRivera
2 minutes ago, BartCarter said:

And that "Big difference" is?

More recoil/harshness with the hotter WWB...which should come to no surprise, but to me more noticeable in a PCC than in my pistols.

For example, if you had a prior 'standard' buffer setup while testing with less-hot factory or hand loads.....then tried the Hydro with WWB, it would be like nothing changed.  THat's what happened with me when I first tried a Kynshot, and I felt like it wasn't working.  Didn't realize at first that I wasn't comparing wth the same bullets back-to-back.