Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Round nose vs HP

TANFARM

Any insight in the pros and cons with Round nose vs Hollow point in open 9 mm Major.

I got some RMR 124 RN and the new MPR HP in 124 as well and am working up some loads to try on my Chaos when it arrives....yea I’m excited.

Any preferences or experience with either design and this manufacturer??

Thanks.......

Any insight in the pros and cons with Round nose vs Hollow point in open 9 mm Major.
I got some RMR 124 RN and the new MPR HP in 124 as well and am working up some loads to try on my Chaos when it arrives....yea I’m excited.
Any preferences or experience with either design and this manufacturer??
Thanks.......

I was able to load longer OAL with HP rather than round nose. But if your barrel is reamed for either then or shouldn’t matter that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The RMR 125 RN is a plated bullet, so you will not be leading the comp.  Jacketed RNs will.  I use JHPs and Plated bullets in my Open guns.  The only crud left in the comp is carbon.

The RMR 125 124 is inexpensive.  I still prefer JHPs, because they are more consistent.  You have several manufacturers who sell JHPs for under 9 cents per bullet.  I would choose one of them over the MPR HP.   You are shooting in a competition, not combat.

Montana Gold Makes a CMJ roundnose for those that you ant or need a Jacketed RN with no lead exposed.

I like to load JHP’s in Open for a few different reasons. I only load RN’s in minor ammo so I have a quick visual reference to keep things separate.

• 4 weeks later...

Some JHPs, (Everglades V2 and Zero) have a more rounded profile than the truncated  cone shape of Montana Gold or Precision Delta.  My gun feeds the rounder profile better. Currently really liking  the Everglades 115s

Some JHPs, (Everglades V2 and Zero) have a more rounded profile than the truncated  cone shape of Montana Gold or Precision Delta.  My gun feeds the rounder profile better. Currently really liking  the Everglades 115s

Literally me!
My chaos doesn’t like certain profiles. The EG jhp is very nice and I recently switched from the 124 to the 115g.

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2018 at 1:03 AM, Tc2415 said:

+1 on the EG v2 rn jhp.  They feed better than anything I've tried.  

On 4/25/2018 at 2:26 PM, bigbob21 said:

Literally me!
My chaos doesn’t like certain profiles. The EG jhp is very nice and I recently switched from the 124 to the 115g.

What is the diameter of the EG v2? I have ordered some of their bullets in the past and was getting .3535-.354 diameter. And was getting poor accuracy!

2 hours ago, Stymie12000 said:

What is the diameter of the EG v2? I have ordered some of their bullets in the past and was getting .3535-.354 diameter. And was getting poor accuracy!

Just measured 5.  I got right at .3545, pretty consistently.  These have been as accurate as any bullet I've tried in my experience.

Edited by Tc2415

Every gun is different. There are at least a half dozen likely suspects among top rated manufacturers and many weights & shapes from each. Keep sampling until you find something you, your gun and your wallet all agree on.

I usually find it easiest to settle on a weight first and go from there. At the same power factor, heavier bullets give less total recoil impulse but many find that the quicker/snappier recoil of the lighter bullets gets you back on target quicker.

Because of construction methods, JHP's are almost always more accurate than FMJ's. But again, every gun is different.

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2018 at 10:12 AM, Sarge said:

Montana Gold Makes a CMJ roundnose for those that you ant or need a Jacketed RN with no lead exposed.

I like to load JHP’s in Open for a few different reasons. I only load RN’s in minor ammo so I have a quick visual reference to keep things separate.

I am with Sarge too, HP for open and RN for minor. 

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:40 AM, Knguyen1904 said:

I personally use precision Delta jhp. First bullet I loaded for my open gun and they shot so well and consistently I never tried anything else 

ditto

My gun didn't really care for the pd, started with Montana gold, great EXPENSIVE bullet, then moved to the everglades v2, but currently really enjoying the RMR 124 gr hp, accurate and maybe even a little softer shooting, not sure if they are a bit softer lead that fills the lans  more or what, and can't beat the cost. Check them out, they Just launched a new updated website as well 

Edited by Acsr

I put two rounds with MG CMJ on top of fully loaded 170mm mags.  I have not seen issues with feeding JHP under a lot of mag spring tension, but consider this small additional margin of reliability. 

The CMJ (Complete Metal Jacket) bullets have their bottom covered with jacket, hence their name.

So do plated bullets, and coated bullets.  Only the traditional FMJ bullets have exposed lead on their bottom.

There are quite a few people shooting coated bullets in their open guns nowadays.  I do it often at practice, with no ill effect.