Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mbf Feed assembly, upperparts caliber specific?

Title pretty much covers it.

I've got a mbf mini in 40

Want a full mbf in 9

Wondering if the upper half of the feed die assembly is caliber specific,

Or if I can use the same upper half on both lower sections and save a bit?

Edited by jbinpa59

I’m gonna go with yes. You may be able to make it work though, since you have the 40 and want to run 9 through it. I have 40, 223 and 308. They’re all different. Don’t have the 9 to compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to get a full mbf in 9mm and use it load 40 also

I have the 40 alum feed die only, not the upper half 

and the expander powder funnel from a mini kit

I know I'll  need a 40 collator disc to  use in a full mbf

Question is since the mini mbf uses the same magazine tubes for 9 and 40,  but 45 is different

are the      brass  /poly tube/switch assemblys for pistol calibers for the full mbf all the same item?

Or caliber specific?

The feed die has enough funnel at the die that they could be the same switch piece for all pistol calibers to save tooling costs In manufacture

And I know all the pistol cal mbf use the same large spring between collator and switch tube

All the rifle use the small spring, for same reason it cuts production and inventory costs 

I emailed rick @  mrbulletmrbulletbiz but didn't get a response

If somebody who has a 9mm mbf would see if a 40. Bullet will drop through the switch tube that will tell me exactly what I need to order to make that combo work without unneeded leftovers

If a 40 drops through a 9mm switch tube all I need is the collator plate for  40

I don't load both 40 and 10mm so didn't want a full 40. Conversion kit wen I've already got half of one

Tia

Edited by jbinpa59
Addition

• 2 weeks later...

Final answer is YES

the switch tube assembly's for MBF  feeder dies are caliber specific 

BUT I've not had issues loading 44s using 45cal colator plate/switch tube/feed die/ plus a third party 44 powder/ expander

AND loading 40sw with 45 colator plate and 45 switch tube with 40 feed die and powder thru expanded works 

9 mm  works with a 45 colator plate 9no feed die and expander

but the 45 switch tube is too big, it don't get a clean stack up with 147 r n but will work with the occasional tap 

But 95s are just an ugly jam up which I expected since they don't do well in the larger output spring either

So that combo is a fail

I don't have a 40 switch tube to try with 9mm but I'd expect that to work since 40 works in 45 and the size differences are the same between 40 and 9

So if you want to set up a multi pistol caliber MBF you don't have to have a full conversion set just the feed die and an expander in the smaller caliber if you have the full setup in the next size up

Just a fyi for folks like me that want to move up from a one caliber mini MBF

to a full motorized multi caliber  MBF setup

Edited by jbinpa59
Correction