Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Lee U die

johnsonian85

I’ve been reloading 9major with the Dillon sizing die and wanted to get a little more pressure on the bullet, so I picked up a Lee U die. When I set up the U die it’s not not sizing or I’m getting a bulge at the bottom of the case and failing the case gauge. I set set up the die as low as it will go and am using case lube. 

Anyone else have similar issues or an idea what I’m setting up incorrectly?

What lube are you using? I lube with home made Dillon and use a u die and have very very few case gauge failures. Only time I get bulges at the bottom is if I somehow end up with a dry case in station one but then it still doesn't happen often.

You lube the brass? Havent seen any need with the carbide insert in the U die...?
The cases are even wet tumbled, so very clean which would increase the friction and have no problems so far.

I would sheck if you got a wrong die or out of spec. Maybe its a 380?

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

Curious......what effect does the depth of the pin have on the die?......I’ve love this U-die set up, but wonder how I have an occasional failure to deprime 9mm I m my 650....doesn’t seem possible...but I’ve noticed my pin will seem to works it’s way up after large runs.....thanks 

my experience......set to have the Die touch the shell plate and Hornady One Shot.....I know folks don’t get it , but I would urge you to drop the $5.00 and give it a try .......money really well spent...IMHO.

hi tanfarm,

get out your favorite extra long wrenches and put some extra GRONK on the nut that holds the decapping pin.

....  I had a tough time getting mine tight enough.

miranda

Edited by Miranda
for got to add tanfarm's name...

3 hours ago, TANFARM said:

Curious......what effect does the depth of the pin have on the die?......I’ve love this U-die set up, but wonder how I have an occasional failure to deprime 9mm I m my 650....doesn’t seem possible...but I’ve noticed my pin will seem to works it’s way up after large runs.....thanks 

my experience......set to have the Die touch the shell plate and Hornady One Shot.....I know folks don’t get it , but I would urge you to drop the $5.00 and give it a try .......money really well spent...IMHO.

Probably primer sticking to pin and getting pulled back in

52 minutes ago, TANFARM said:

Thanks Sarge....makes sense....any way to solve this problem??.....the primer re-install brings things to a screeching halt....lol.

I had the same issue with A Dillon die on a 550. As I recall the discussion, Dillon told me that is was worse with a particular brand of primers ( cci ???) and that some folks mangle the decamping pin tip a smidge so it is less able to spear the center of the primer & hold it.

The problem sort of disappeared on its own for me. 

Not U-die specific but this experience may be somewhat relevant as I was using the standard Lee sizing die upon which the U-die is based.

I had an issue when I started a reloading run using CBC cases which are quite stiff compared to the Blazer brass I was using previous: the primer was not being completely expelled by the decapping pin. I lowered the pin about 1/16" below the top of the die (it had been flush) and problem went away. Not sure I understand why the normal flush position wasn't working and I haven't attempted to debug it but one of these days... lol

10 hours ago, ddc said:

Not U-die specific but this experience may be somewhat relevant as I was using the standard Lee sizing die upon which the U-die is based.

I had an issue when I started a reloading run using CBC cases which are quite stiff compared to the Blazer brass I was using previous: the primer was not being completely expelled by the decapping pin. I lowered the pin about 1/16" below the top of the die (it had been flush) and problem went away. Not sure I understand why the normal flush position wasn't working and I haven't attempted to debug it but one of these days... lol

Not all recapping pins are the same length, that's why they are adjustable.   Making sure the tip is blunt will keep it from punching through a primer and causing trouble.

Primer suck back can usually be solved by gently reshaping the pin with medium grit sandpaper. You can round the pin or I've also had success with a hypodermic needle type shape, like this: needle.png.7f291362f579a0e00d57f7fb7644caf7.png

Edited by 4n2t0

• 2 years later...

Loaded some 9s for a new bullet configuration using my lee dies. No problems at all when testing the new load. When I went into production on my Dillon 1050, 6 of 20 would not chamber in the Karl barrel. Absolutely no problem running through my Glock. Wondering what is going on! I guess I will have to order the U die to see if I can get a run to work.

14 minutes ago, PistolToter said:

Loaded some 9s for a new bullet configuration using my lee dies. No problems at all when testing the new load. When I went into production on my Dillon 1050, 6 of 20 would not chamber in the Karl barrel. Absolutely no problem running through my Glock. Wondering what is going on! I guess I will have to order the U die to see if I can get a run to work.

Plunk and spin? OAL?

OAL is set at 1.045 6 of 20 failed plunk test. Using RMR MPR 124gr. HP. Have never used them before. OAL was set using my barrel and verniers. So I know they should plunk with no problem. Case length is running 7.44- 7.46

Edited by PistolToter
forgot to enter case length.

On 7/7/2020 at 12:58 PM, PistolToter said:

OAL is set at 1.045 6 of 20 failed plunk test. Using RMR MPR 124gr. HP. Have never used them before. OAL was set using my barrel and verniers. So I know they should plunk with no problem.

Kart has a tight chamber.     They failed plunk test .     They are most likely too long. Kart barrels that I have  with 124 JHP Montana gold need to be no longer than 1.001 length.

Edited by AHI

I’ve loaded 10s of 1,000s on a U-die and one shot in 9mm when lubed with One Shot, so I’ll echo that the die SHOULD be working.

I personally run my decapping pin loose enough that it’ll drive itself upward if it hits a rock inside of a case or the like, instead of bend. I use a cutoff wheel in a dremel to make a notch in the hardened decapping pins I run, and that groove lives just above the jam nut on top of the die. If it gets pushed upward, loosen adjust and lock back down. Takes ten seconds since I do not need to peek underneath the shellplate to reposition the pin.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I wish to thank everyone that has tried to help with the problem I posted earlier! I know why everything went south now. The last bunch of brass I picked up at the range was the problem all along. I had no idea anyone in my area was firing 9mm Major. Boy was I wrong the cases I picked up all measured .390 just ahead of the web. That diameter just will not work in the Kart barrel of my gun. Thanks again!