Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match score upload question

I know being MD is a thankless volunteer job, and myself I have not been an MD except helping with setups.  I truly appreciate all the work that MDs do.  That's also why I am curious as to how the score upload works under the hood.

I am seeing a lot of clubs, nearly all clubs around me, do not upload scores to USPSA for weeks or even months.  It's puzzling to me because we spent hours to set up and tear down stages, and all those happen quickly, but after the match, it seems that's all and everyone just don't care about finishing up the whole thing, like uploading the scores to USPSA.   I know most people don't care about classifiers, but a lot of people do especially unclassified shooters or shooters who are trying to achieve a new classification.  It just does not make sense for them to wait weeks or even months for the new classification, given that the USPSA system has now become real-time and weekly updated.   Sometimes, the shooter's more recent scores get uploaded way before the older scores show up, causing the USPSA calculation issues (e.g. the timing issue some people call it).

So, please help me understand the current score upload workload:

1. MD publishes Practiscore result - this probably takes a few minutes, if everything goes well

2. MD download the Practiscore report, and upload to USPSA.org - this probably takes a few minutes, if all member number and names are correct

3. MD pays USPSA the fee - few minutes?  I am not sure.  Maybe this is where most clubs are procrastinating, because they don't have the funds yet to pay? I am just guessing.

4. Done?

Did I miss anything?  If not, the whole 3 steps would take less time then setting up 1 stage, without any physical exertion.   So what are the most common causes why clubs always wait for weeks or even months before they upload?   Are they waiting for people to verify their score on Practiscore first?  Or are they waiting for new shooters to get their USPSA numbers first?  Will that take weeks?  I remember mine took about 2-3 days to get. 

PS - I also can see quite a few clubs in other parts of the country upload to USPSA on the day when the match completes.  Kudos to them.  I just wish all clubs can be like that. 

Thanks.

Edited by JusticeOfToren

I do the uploading for my club and I always have it posted to practiscore and uspsa before I even leave the range. And we do not have power or wifi out there. It's easy using my cell phone as a hot spot for the tablet. Takes 5-10 minutes to sync stage tablets back to master. Then it takes 10 seconds to post to practiscore. Then it takes about 10 minutes to pull report, post to uspsa, and pay fee (slow cell data at range). We are fortunate to have a group of us that work together putting on the match though, so I can do all of that while others are finishing the clean up

As the score uploader for my club, it is just as easy as described above. You can do it all on your smart phone.  

That said, I've only recently started doing uploads to USPSA from the master scoring device.  Last, paying for the match is usually a once a month thing (we shoot 3 matches a month and the club director has the bank info, not me) unless we've shot a classifier then we'll be sure it gets paid before the Wednesday update.

Edited by IronicTwitch

I"m normally done in a day or two 

The issue is after the match I'm pretty beat and normally there are several shooters that entered the wrong number so you have to track down the correct numbers update the practiscore registration for the match re-upload the match to practiscore then re-download the file then go pay for it. and unfortunatly after setting up and tearing down the match there is normally not a bunch of energy left for that. 

So if you want the results up on USPSA sooner hang out after the match and volunteer to be the results up-loader and get them to let you do the work (hint most MDs are pretty easy to convince to let you help them) then it will be done on your schedule.

A couple reasons for the delay.  I post to practiscore immediately after the match.  However, before I upload to USPSA, I give the competitors a couple days to check their scores for errors (eg minor or major issues, pending USPSA numbers, etc) and I have to delete shooters who registered but did not shoot.  The slight delay minimizes the need to re-uploaded scores.

• 5 weeks later...

It takes less than 10 minutes to sync the tablets, upload,  pay and email a link to the results page. I live two miles from the range so shooters have the results before they get home.

On the rare occasion that there are corrections I wait until Tuesday night so if corrections trickle in I only have to upload one more time. 

Getting the results out within 24 hours to me, is just as important as any other part of the match.