Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decapping process?

Redaye

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

I used to not but now I do because I now have a Rollsizer Decapper.

I didn't know there was such a thing. Heck, I didn't know about the rollsizer till a few months ago. The only automation we had back in the day was the case feeder.

I bought a RCBS JR3 single stage press at a gun show for decapping, I too like clean primer pockets though I know it probably doesn't make any difference. It came with a hand primer funnel, scale tray and some other goodies for $25-30, I forget. I've read that you should't decap before cleaning with pins, they can get stuck in the primer holes. I use crushed walnut and corn cobs in a Dillon vibrator myself. I've used the JR3 for handloading 45 Auto Rim and now 45 Colt.

I didn't know about the Rollsizer either ... pretty sweet. 

If I have to decap brass, I use a Harvey Deprimer now.  I add a Sinclair flashhole tool pilot to the pin and it helps to quickly guide the brass.  But I don't bother decapping pistol brass.

On 7/30/2022 at 7:43 AM, FN509Fan said:

I've read that you should't decap before cleaning with pins, they can get stuck in the primer holes.

Yes they do, I've had two out of the last 20K cases that got pins stuck in the flash hole but since I sort my brass I caught them both.

On 7/30/2022 at 8:41 AM, Sigarmsp226 said:

I used to not but now I do because I now have a Rollsizer Decapper.

Does it roll size and decap or just decap? I looked on the internet but I can't find a machine that does both. 

Also does anyone know if the regular rollsizer machine can roll loaded live rounds? 

I like to start by giving my sorted range brass a quick wash with just water in my Lyman Cyclone to make sure it is free of debris. Dry in the Frankford Arsenal brass dryer.  Good lube with lanolin.  In my 650 station 1 is Mighty Armory blue decapping die. Station 4 Mighty Armory TNT sizing die.  

Good washing wish SS pins and Hornady case cleaning solution in the cyclone. Then back in the dryer. Gets rid of the lanolin and cleans the primer pockets. 

Plus the more times I touch the brass I can sort for bad cases or wrong size

I deprime on a 550 with case feeder and a EGW u-die. Wash with Frankford Tumbler, dry with Frankford Dryer. My reason for depriming first is to keep the base plate of my Star Machine free of primer residue which is abrasive and dirty.