Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much is to much in a comp

Bwilmot

How much lead is to much ? And how do I remove this much ? This is an sps vista short 9mm.  The Everglades concave bade Bullets that I use do have exposed lead base. 

E93C1E24-72EF-4B9B-85F4-F9E3AD79E7F2.jpeg

529614F9-99FD-464F-A876-42256CF15CCE.jpeg

Edited by Bwilmot

That's too much, some have a concoction of liquids they mix up and let it soak, you can get in there with a pick and small screw driver and scrap it out, what ever works to clean it up. Also try to usr fully jacketed bullets so there is no lead build up, you will always get carbon, but that looks lead heavy

25 minutes ago, Acsr said:

That's too much, some have a concoction of liquids they mix up and let it soak, you can get in there with a pick and small screw driver and scrap it out, what ever works to clean it up. Also try to usr fully jacketed bullets so there is no lead build up, you will always get carbon, but that looks lead heavy

Thank you.   Kinda new to open.  I’ll work on cleaning it up.   I’ve only got a couple thousand of the Bullets left so I’ll be switching soon. :)

My routine is whenever i clean the gun i let the comp soak with Hoppe's No. 9 while cleaning everything else then hit the comp last with a brush and pick, blow out with brake clean then compressed air. Doing it constantly keeps the build up from getting bad, But am open to other suggestions as well .I read some use Kroil ( SP ? ) to clean it, i have not tried it but may.

Also ,  Limcat suggested to bake the comp in a toaster oven then when shoot it all the crap flys out on the 1st couple of shots.

4 minutes ago, Sprig said:

My routine is whenever i clean the gun i let the comp soak with Hoppe's No. 9 while cleaning everything else then hit the comp last with a brush and pick, blow out with brake clean then compressed air. Doing it constantly keeps the build up from getting bad, But am open to other suggestions as well .I read some use Kroil ( SP ? ) to clean it, i have not tried it but may.

Also ,  Limcat suggested to bake the comp in a toaster oven then when shoot it all the crap flys out on the 1st couple of shots.

My wife would really think im nuts when she saw my open gun hanging out of her toaster lol.     Seems like the heat might loosen the loctite on the comp doing it that way 

I'll bet Limcat uses something that is not affected by the heat like loctite or they would not have suggested it on their guns .

And don't use your cooking toaster LOL, once that lead gets in it, your toast may taste different :lol:

I was thinking that lead flavored toast is the next big thing after Nutella! Am I alone on this?? Haha

I haven’t had to do it yet but I believe there is a good following of using 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and vinegar. Supposed to dissolve it pretty well. Then you pick out the rest that should be pretty loose. This is stuff that I’ve read on the forums so I can’t actually vouch for it. I also know of guys who spray Dillon case lube ito the comp between courses as some preventative Maintenance.

Mine looked about the same. I tried soaking in Kroil and a Vinegar+Peroxide mix (paracetic acid) with little improvement.

Using an Arredondo comp cleaner to  scrape the ports was painfully slow.  Using the same comp cleaner, I lightly tapped the crud with a small brass hammer. Once I got the first chunk out, the rest was easy to get under and scrape

Elbow grease and a rounded mill bit for my dremel worked well.   My comp is steel so the rounded bit would not dig in.   I was very careful around the barrel area.  I don’t think the dremel would have worked with a comp made of a softer metal.   To much chance of it diggin in.  

C42DD8E3-7194-4089-A232-3B0E6C1392BF.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

When they are that bad I put 3 jacketed rounds in a mag and into the gun, lock the slide back, and then hit the comp ports with a propane torch for 10-15 seconds until the lead starts to pool, then snap the slide closed and fire 3 quick shots into the ground.  Say what you will, but it's quick and WORKS.  Then spray your comp with lanolin/alcohol regularly to prevent it next time.  Another secret is to use weld spatter cleaner in the comp. It's expensive but won't allow buildup.