Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Depriming Crimped Primers and Offset Flash Holes

EliteGuard

Is there a trick to depriming primers and brass with offset flash holes? Yesterday, while reloading .223 for the first time, I bent the decapping pin and the decapping assembly on my Redding die. I noticed that a lot of brass with GFL (Fiocchi?) markings had an offset flash hole. Some Wolf Gold brass had the primer coming out 3/4 of the way. The Wolf Gold that was deprimed, had a distinct popping sound when the primer came out. The Wolf Gold is crimped and has red sealant on the primer. I am guessing I should throw out the brass with GFL to avoid the offset primer pocket. Not sure what to do with the Wolf Gold as most of my bass is Wolf Gold. I had some PMC brass and I didn't notice the popping sound when it was deprimed.

If it makes any difference, I tried adjusting the decapping assembly down to try to remove the primers that wouldn't come out fully and that is when I broke it. Luckly, Redding is sending me a new one for free.

Edited by EliteGuard

6 hours ago, CPD7119 said:

I pitch any brass with under sized or off set flash holes. It's not worth the time trying to process it if you keep breaking decapping pins. I've broke a few myself. 

Agreed.  not worth my time or broken pin.

• 2 weeks later...

I would trash the off set brass,

As to your primers not punching out and the popping. Sometimes because the decapping pin end is square it pulls the primer back into the case

after pushing it out. Cure is slightly rounding the square end of the decapping pin.

Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Check out the Mighty Armory decapping die. I don't have a redding die to compare it to, but I did use a lee decapping die for a while. The MA die is hands down better and the pins are significantly stronger. I've snapped plenty of pins with my Lee, I have yet to snap a pin in the MA that wasn't error induced.