Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to get a CZ Shadow 2 to make weight in IDPA?

francx

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/1/2018 at 6:42 AM, brianr34 said:

I assume the Shadow 2 could be shot in the SPD division.  Is that correct?   I believe that is a division for guns that do not meet the requirements.  

Did you mean to say IDPA SSP Division? Or ESP Division? There is an IDPA exception for guns that don't meet the standard rules, however, that is up to the local match director. It's called "Not for Competition" Division. They do not have to allow it, completely optional. And it is never allowed at a Tier 2 match, or higher..

Edited by 9x45

specialty division. and you still have to use idpa legal belt, holster and so on. a shadow 2 does fit the box, so no worries there. but to me, there is no way to take 4 ounces off that gun without chopping a significant chunk of the frame off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have a shadow 2 that i got milled for carry optics USPSA from CZC. They took weight out from inside and made a 2 inch or so long cutout at the top. Putting the RDS fixed sight plate on and this could be used for ESP couldn't it? It would make weight.

https://czcustom.com/custom-work/s-i-rds-plate-cut-shadow-2-co.html 

https://czcustom.com/rds-plate-fixed-shadow2-sight.html 

If you make weight, yeah you could shoot esp. That's 43 oz with a mag in it btw.

If you shot CO, a provisional division in IDPA, you get the same 45oz weight limit you're used to. So why not shoot CO in both?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2018 at 9:43 PM, hurley326 said:

I have a shadow 2 that i got milled for carry optics USPSA from CZC. They took weight out from inside and made a 2 inch or so long cutout at the top. Putting the RDS fixed sight plate on and this could be used for ESP couldn't it? It would make weight.

https://czcustom.com/custom-work/s-i-rds-plate-cut-shadow-2-co.html 

https://czcustom.com/rds-plate-fixed-shadow2-sight.html 

Hi,

Could you share the  exact  weight of your shadow2 with optics, magazine? And which optics you are using? interested to get mine milled by CZC as well.

Thanks

I started this project more as just a test to show it could be done. I bought a second slide which I had milled for carry optics uspsa and figured why not just spend a few more bucks to make it a multi game multi division gun. 

Uspsa production and carry optics

Idpa esp and carry optics 

I’ll have to post the specs and pictures when I get home. It’s just under 43 oz. I’m going to post an extensive thread on it.

You also need to take off the magazine release pad as per 8.1.7.D. I don’t think the fact it’s OEM matters. This has been a lesser discussed aspect of making this work for IDPA

Edited by hurley326

2 hours ago, hurley326 said:

I started this project more as just a test to show it could be done. I bought a second slide which I had milled for carry optics uspsa and figured why not just spend a few more bucks to make it a multi game multi division gun

Uspsa production and carry optics

Idpa esp and carry optics 

I’ll have to post the specs and pictures when I get home. It’s just under 43 oz. I’m going to post an extensive thread on it.

You also need to take off the magazine release pad as per 8.1.7.D. I don’t think the fact it’s OEM matters. This has been a lesser discussed aspect of making this work for IDPA

Where did you get the 2nd slide? I am interested in this setup as well.

Where did you get the 2nd slide? I am interested in this setup as well.

Bought it from Stuart at CZC. It was his personal tho I don’t know if they have them in the shop but it’s worth asking.

I didn’t want to cut up my original slide so I could use it in production. I’ve seen them for sale on here for around $600-700. U could find a used shadow 2 or new at discount site for around $1,000 - $1,100 if you look enough so that’s not a bad option either. Looking back I should have just done that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/19/2018 at 8:01 AM, rowdyb said:

If you make weight, yeah you could shoot esp. That's 43 oz with a mag in it btw.

If you shot CO, a provisional division in IDPA, you get the same 45oz weight limit you're used to. So why not shoot CO in both?

I am interested in starting to shoot both IDPA and USPSA this Spring. I want to use an optic for both. Would love to use a Shadow 2 for both. Are you saying I can use a Shadow 2 (with an optic) for IDPA CO? And, do I have to have weight taken off, or will it work as is?

On 3/25/2018 at 12:03 PM, francx said:

Would love to hear experiences of how shooters got their CZ Shadow 2 to make weight for IDPA. 

Well I'm the soul who took a 1/4  lb. of weight off it (actually 3 oz with mag). Gun was milled for carry Optics by CZC (although I'd never stoop to that) and the RDS sight plate installed. Cajun acetal guide rod and Patriot Defense grips (have a set of LOK palm swell lightweights coming). Haven't touched the frame. May take a little out inside so I can use Shockbottle base pads. Only need to lose .03 oz. Also has Cajun 29ES mag release. Running Cajun 12 lb recoil spring, RP-TRS, RP-FPS and 11 1/2 lb hammer spring. It has been 100% reliable, not one LPS and I load only Winchester SPP's. DA 5 1/2, SA 2.0. Did polish everything. Have shot both IDPA SSP and USPSA Production with it - I know, what a concept! 🙄

Shadow-2-IDPA-weight.jpg

Fits the box easily as well.

20190201-163623.jpg

Both versions.

20190212-132715.jpg

Edited by Jeff O

5 minutes ago, Jeff O said:

In no way.

Just to be sure (I can be slow at times)... I can shoot a Shadow 2 in IDPA Carry Optics - correct?

Also, I'm in the Fort Wayne area. The IDPA match I plan on starting to shoot at is the one in Wabash (on 4th Saturdays). Do you ever shoot there?