Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to get a CZ Shadow 2 to make weight in IDPA?

francx

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, svinson said:

I am interested in starting to shoot both IDPA and USPSA this Spring. I want to use an optic for both. Would love to use a Shadow 2 for both. Are you saying I can use a Shadow 2 (with an optic) for IDPA CO? And, do I have to have weight taken off, or will it work as is?

The gunn absolutely will not make weight as is. Carry optics weight limit in both sports is 45.0 ounces w appropriate magazine in. There are a few ways to take the weight off for sure. But you will have to take it off.

If you have the slide milled for an optic, you are taking out a chunk of steel and replacing it with a chunk of aluminum. It WILL make weight with the optic.  I took the optic that was on my gun when I bought it off and I have no desire to put it back on to weigh it.

With the lightweight guide rod and grips it absof*#kinlutely does. Take off your headphones and listen. You also said it COULDN'T make weight or fit the box for IDPA. But again, I don't give a rat s#!t about CO, so I'm signing off your drivel.

Edited by Jeff O

I've milled two guns, and stood there with a scale and a pile of parts. No head phones, no drivel.

If you read, rather than just reacting, you'd notice I said just an optic cut. You mention cut, grips and guide rods. Which is something different. 

I would love to see a 43 oz, esp legal shadow 2.

And as always, I'm more than willing to meet anyone at a match and talk it out or shoot it out in the results.

Edited by rowdyb

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I've milled two guns, and stood there with a scale and a pile of parts. No head phones, no drivel.

If you read, rather than just reacting, you'd notice I said just an optic cut. You mention cut, grips and guide rods. Which is something different. 

I would love to see a 43 oz, esp legal shadow 2.

And as always, I'm more than willing to meet anyone at a match and talk it out or shoot it out in the results.

Ask and you shall receive. IDPA legal Shadow 2

EDFADBCA-5AA7-44D0-A9CB-94ECA0C4ED1F.jpeg

21 hours ago, Jeff O said:

Well I'm the soul who took a 1/4  lb. of weight off it (actually 3 oz with mag). Gun was milled for carry Optics by CZC (although I'd never stoop to that) and the RDS sight plate installed. Cajun acetal guide rod and Patriot Defense grips (have a set of LOK palm swell lightweights coming). Haven't touched the frame. May take a little out inside so I can use Shockbottle base pads. Only need to lose .03 oz. Also has Cajun 29ES mag release. Running Cajun 12 lb recoil spring, RP-TRS, RP-FPS and 11 1/2 lb hammer spring. It has been 100% reliable, not one LPS and I load only Winchester SPP's. DA 5 1/2, SA 2.0. Did polish everything. Have shot both IDPA SSP and USPSA Production with it - I know, what a concept! 🙄

Shadow-2-IDPA-weight.jpg

Fits the box easily as well.

20190201-163623.jpg

Both versions.

20190212-132715.jpg

Cant be shot in SSP though due to slide machining. Must be used in ESP

I thought that this could be done!

Before jumping into the S2 i have been debating about just working up my SP01 due to shooting in USPSA and IDPA, and I would do that but i have short thumbs and cant reach the mag release in the SP01 with out shifting my grip. on the Shadow 2 I can reach the mag release and that will be a good time savings. 

It would be great to see the brake down of what it took to get it done, bullet point style. 

Again, Great work!!

👍

• 3 months later...
On 2/13/2019 at 10:09 AM, hurley326 said:

Cant be shot in SSP though due to slide machining. Must be used in ESP

Man that is a nice cz shadow 2  do you care to pm me your build info I want to do this so I can shoot the gun in IDPA and uspsa . I was worried slide cuts made it illegal in IDPA esp c/o .

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/13/2019 at 9:00 AM, hurley326 said:

Ask and you shall receive. IDPA legal Shadow 2

EDFADBCA-5AA7-44D0-A9CB-94ECA0C4ED1F.jpeg

What is the Mag Release?   Did you just remove the oversized pad from the Shadow 2 mag release?  The other legal ESP gun claims to have a Cajun ES29 Mag Release installed.  The Cajun ES29 is an extended safety not a mag release.  I cannot see the release as it is obscured by the IDPA logo on the closed box. 

Edited by spt1955
added ES29 question

IDPA

"8.2.1.2 SSP Permitted Modifications (Inclusive list): A. Sights may be changed to another notch and post type. Slides may not be machined to accept different style sights."

Once the slide is milled for an optic it is no longer SSP legal. You may shoot it in ESP

USPSA

21.2b Milling of Slide

A. slide may be modified specifically for installing sights, and for no other purpose.

What is the Mag Release?   Did you just remove the oversized pad from the Shadow 2 mag release?  The other legal ESP gun claims to have a Cajun ES29 Mag Release installed.  The Cajun ES29 is an extended safety not a mag release.  I cannot see the release as it is obscured by the IDPA logo on the closed box. 

I just removed the paddle is all. You may be able to use one of the other mag releases but IDunno I just use it like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IDPA
"8.2.1.2 SSP Permitted Modifications (Inclusive list): A. Sights may be changed to another notch and post type. Slides may not be machined to accept different style sights."
Once the slide is milled for an optic it is no longer SSP legal. You may shoot it in ESP

USPSA
21.2b Milling of Slide
A. slide may be modified specifically for installing sights, and for no other purpose.

Yup that’s been established.

On 2/12/2019 at 3:18 PM, svinson said:

Just to be sure (I can be slow at times)... I can shoot a Shadow 2 in IDPA Carry Optics - correct?

Also, I'm in the Fort Wayne area. The IDPA match I plan on starting to shoot at is the one in Wabash (on 4th Saturdays). Do you ever shoot there?

The out of the box Shadow 2 weighs 46.5 oz which is already 1.5 ounces ABOVE the IDPA weight limit for Carry Optics (45 ounces) and 3.5 ounces ABOVE the IDPA weight limit for ESP (43 ounces). So the answer to the question "I can shoot a SHadow 2 in IDPA Carry optics?" is ..NO.  A stock Shadow 2 with even the lightest optic on it will weigh well above the 45 ounce limit for both IDPA and USPSA Carry Optics. Weight has to be removed in order to do it. 

Edited by spt1955

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm totally willing to learn something. Is there any way to make a shadow 2 SSP legal?

A year ago I think definitely not. Now though it could be possible but only internal weight reduction would be required. Any external such as slide cuts immediately puts you into ESP. I think CZC was working on this a while back where they took more weight not just out of the slide but also out of the frame In areas that were not external

When I was thinking about trying to make mine CO legal before uspsa changed their weight limit and I said forget it, I remember the LOK lightweightgrios made a decent difference, so that’s something I’d look into. Can’t remember what the weight difference was though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a Shadow 2 to old-USPSA CO weight with just an optic cut and parts, but had to use the Romeo 1 dot, LOK lightweight grips, custom plastic guide rod, cut down the mag brake and some other things.  Mags and basepads carefully chosen...