Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Real RNDs / Hour Reloading

Jack, I hand prime everything I use/shoot.  I do it all in large quantities and it is easy to sit and hand prime cases, especially with all the junk on TV at night.  My experience, and many others on the site, is with problems priming on presses.  Another thing is that with hand priming you get all the primers seated correctly, as many cases have a slightly different depth to the primer pocket.  Also they load easier with fewer steps done on the press.  I'm retired and widowed also so time is not a problem.  Just me and the German Shepherd, although he isn't any help reloading.

I have a Dillon 650 with a GSI bullet feeder and Case feeder that I reload all of my 40 ammo on. I also use a Dillon RF100 Auto Primer Filler during the reloading process and it always fills a tube well before I am done pulling the handle to use up all the primers. I break up the whole ammo making process into two separate sessions. The first session is the reloading process and the second session is the cleaning, case gauge, and boxing process. The first session takes just under an hour to load 1200 rounds at a steady pace. The second session takes just under an hour to process that 1200 rounds. When I go through this process its all treated as if it was "Match Ammo". I don't have different processes for "Match" ammo or "Practice" ammo as I have been bitten by that in the past by forgetting which. I may use different types of bullets, primers or powder for match vs practice ammo, as I need to use up random components, but the end product all goes through the same process and could be used reliably in a match if I had to (Case gauged, Makes Major, Cleaned, etc). 

5 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Yeah, sure, BUT doesn't that eliminate all the advantage of

extra speed  by using a case feeder ?

If I spend an hour sorting brass, I guess I can then load

Very Fast on my new 1050, but if I'm going to inspect/

sort the brass by hand, anyway, what's the advantage

of the case feeder ?   (Not being a wise guy here, just

seriously wondering why have a case feeder ?) 

Of course a casefeeder is faster. by a lot

https://www.shellsorter.com/

This will sort all the offending calibers quickly.

I'm  not sure your volume of shooting or level of participation warrants a 1050 but I won't tell anyone how to spend their money. I just bought a rollsizer and I only shoot 30K/year. 

Wants vs. Needs

57 minutes ago, Balakay said:

https://www.shellsorter.com/

This will sort all the offending calibers quickly.

Thanks, Balakay, only $14 just might solve the entire problem.    :)

How good is it though at separating 9mm from .380, .38 Super and .40.

I buy range 9mm brass, but every once in a while I pick out one of those

three extraneous calibers - does this sorter do a 100% job ?

1 hour ago, Steve RA said:

Jack, I hand prime everything.  I'm retired and widowed so time is not a problem.  Just me and the German Shepherd, although he isn't any help reloading.

Steve, I'll be damned if I'm going to have a SDB (much less a 1050) and

sit there hand de-priming and  priming cases.   Sorry, just too much

work for me.   I'm retired and have the time to do that, but I won't    :)

And, you should at least get that dog a job so he helps pay for your ammo.     😂

6 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

It is 100% effective  separating 40 from the other calibers.  40 is the caliber that will cause a jam because the cases will get stuck prior to dropping into station1.

I shoot 38 super comp. my shell plate will not fit a 38super  so I can pull it out from station one. 

If the powder overflows the case, it’s 9mm

No one shoots 380 where I shoot

Jack, I don't deprime with a hand deprimer, do that on a press.  I prime with a hand primer as I do everything in stages, so I do a lot at one time.  I've got about 7 or 8 gallons of primed 9mm brass and 2 or three gallons of .45 SP and .223 LC each.  It would not work as well if doing a small quantity at a time.  A lot of systems work well, just depends on how each individual likes doing it.

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Jack, get a plastic shell holder.for 45acp from the garbage can next time you shoot. The kind that comes with like Blazer brass. Place it in a tub with your 9mm brass, then just pick up handfuls of brass and kind of drop it onto the shell holder. Most of the 9mm brass will fall primer down into the shell holder. Then it's simple to spot cases that are too long (9x21, 9x23, 38 super) and cases that are too short (380, 9x18, etc.). You can do 50 cases in a few seconds.

Or, get a 100 round 45acp ammo storage container, take the top off, and do 100 instead of 50.

3 hours ago, Balakay said:

It is 100% effective  separating .40 

If the powder overflows the case, it’s 9mm

No one shoots 380 where I shoot

When I buy brass (range brass that has been cleaned up and is ready for reloading) I'll

get 1% .40, .38 Super and .380 brass.

Sounds like this $14 gadget is not 100% at separating them all out.

So, when I get my 1050, not sure that I'd want to presort all my brass before I

load it into a casefeeder - & if I don't, that sounds like a recipe for mayhem.     :(

But, thanks for the idea.    :)