Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

COL suggestions for .38SC with JHP bullets?

matteekay

Heyo!

Working up my first batch of 38SC (major) using RMR 124gr JHPs. I have a good starting point for my powder charge but no info on COL. Does anyone have one they like? Should I just grab some factory 38 Super and start from there?

I shoot a Zero 121 grain JHP in 38SC for my open gun. In STI mags I load my ammo at 1.225” to 1.230”. This accounts for the variations in the hollow point as my seating die hits on the ogive. 

Used to load really long at 1.250 to 1.260 until I started having problems with some rounds jamming inside the mag. Plus I read an article awhile ago about overall length for 38 Super at 1.235 for round nose and 1.225 for jacketed hollow points. 

Edited by HI5-O

Excellent, I'll start around 1.225" - 1.235" and sort it out from there. Thanks!

Don't forget to run The Plunk Test, with the new RMR bullets, in your gun with your mag    [emoji4] 
I still don't get how I plunk a magazine!! [emoji14]

But yes, I'll absolutely be checking these with my barrel. Just needed a ballpark to work from.

On 3/24/2018 at 1:26 AM, matteekay said:

I have a good starting point for my powder charge but no info on COL.

I use Precision Delta 115 gr with 10.9 gr  AA7 at 1.245.  As suggested, do plunk test as one way of determining depth for your particular gun.  Good luck.

COL will really depend on your pistol and chamber. You want at least a .01 jump from chamber to lans. Less than that my cause over pressure. The problem with making the perfect round for your pistol, is that they will not work in every pistol.