Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Graduating" to an open gun?

BenAlpha

Just go open if that's what works for you and your eyes. I'm teaching my boys with a dot on a 22/45 but I also plan to teach them irons and shotguns so they will just have to learn to adapt to the tool and choose the right tool for the job.

• 1 month later...

1) How long did you shoot irons before "graduating" to an open gun?

Shot iron sights for 6 months then went carry optics 6 months now shooting open. You don’t need to go carry optics or iron sights before sHooting OPEN. If I could do everything all over again I would buy an sti dvc OPEN in 9 major and have a gunsmith build me an OPEN gun in 9 major. Once I get the custom gun I will save the sti dvc open as backup.  

Oh I did not see you are from Israel ??. I don’t know what open guns would be available in your area. So the above mentioned might not be relevant. My mistake. Hope you get the pistol you want. Good luck ? 

2) Do you believe it's important to shoot iron sights before moving to a red dot?

Not at all... even my carry and night stand pistol has an optic. 

3) Are red dots on open guns (mounted to the frame) easier for someone with cross dominant eyes to shoot?

Yes it will be. It worked for me. Even my slide mounted red dot shoots better than me shooting irons so I have them all on my pistols gaming pistols and for self defense pistols.

4) How much softer shooting are these? I'm also a small guy with small hands and struggling with a tennis

elbow that flares up from gripping a gun HARD for long periods of time (I'm right handed and the TE is in my left elbow)
-I just installed a Nitro Fin on my SP-01 and it helped ALOT with the elbow.

if you reload build a load and pick your powder and bullet heads that will net you a softer shooting pistol while making power factor and with the addition of a *thumb rest [generic]*/thumb rest yes it would help a lot. And make shooting more enjoyable than painful. Hope this helps ?

Edited by Gviz

• 1 month later...

I walked on into Open personally . I started with a Glock 40 Open gun with sjc parts and shortly switched to a 2011 in 9 major. The gun is definitely a flat shooter but you still need good grip. It’s less of a flip and more of a push feeling is how I’d like to describe it 

Thanks for all your comments guys, I already ordered a custom gun and it's ready.
Just waiting for it to be registered and then I can start training.

Shot 50 rounds through it last week, it's awesome. Different, but awesome.

WhatsApp Image 2018-06-27 at 14.39.01.jpeg