Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mr Bullet Feeder vs Bully Adapter?

I see quite a few posts/reviews here for the Mr Bullet Feeder Mini but I wonder about a similar product. It is called the Bully Adapter. It uses a Hornady bullet feed die and a Lee bullet feed multi-tube.

The adapter the mates the tubes to the die is about $40. The Lee and Hornady stuff would run another $40 or $50.

Is the savings worth it? It looks to me like the biggest down side is that the Lee only has four bullet tubes.

Another option is the Mag P also made by the same people. This has six tubes and can be bought to fit Hornady, RCBS or MBF dies. The Mag P is about $60 and the die is extra.

So any reason to buy one or the other of these over the Mini?

TIA!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, michael.flitcraft said:

Get a motorized collator. You’re not saving much time by filling tubes to feed your press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time is relative.  Time for me might not be for you.  If he's only loading a 100 or so rounds, it's not financially worth it for him to spend $460 on a bullet feeder.

The Mr Bulletfeeder dies are better in my opinion they use ball bearings to hold onto the rounds rather than the Hornady dies which use two expanding metal collets through repeated flexing these collets have broken and have to be replaced. I was breaking them about every 2-3K rounds. the mini Mr Bulletfeeder uses the Mr Bulletfeeder dies however I have not used them as I went with the motorized collator.

The Mr Bulletfeeder dies are better in my opinion they use ball bearings to hold onto the rounds rather than the Hornady dies which use two expanding metal collets through repeated flexing these collets have broken and have to be replaced. I was breaking them about every 2-3K rounds. the mini Mr Bulletfeeder uses the Mr Bulletfeeder dies however I have not used them as I went with the motorized collator.
Good info. Thanks.

23 hours ago, stick said:

Time is relative.  Time for me might not be for you.  If he's only loading a 100 or so rounds, it's not financially worth it for him to spend $460 on a bullet feeder.

If he's only loading 100 or so rounds, he may as well use his fingers.

If he's only loading 100 or so rounds, he may as well use his fingers.
Why do you assume I'm only loading a hundred rounds at a time? I can buy additional magazines and load them up.

Each additional magazine is closer to the motorized unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I load in a garage with limited bench space. And the bench is not that close to an outlet. I don't feel like looping extension cords all over the place and don't want to mess with a battery.

I've ordered the Mini and should have it Monday or Tuesday. Expecting good things....

For what it's worth I admire your restraint. I did the bullet feeder thing with the Hornady die and the tubes. I gave up on that die I went motorized and never regretted it. I also ran the math on buying enough tubes to keep up with a 1000+ round reloading sessions and went motorized but I load in big batches.

21 hours ago, Tokarev said:

I load in a garage with limited bench space. And the bench is not that close to an outlet. I don't feel like looping extension cords all over the place.....

If you have a case feeder (I assume that you do), you already have one power cord. I drilled a 1inch hole in my bench and used one of those hole-cover-things that you might see on an office desk to manage phone cords.  Through this hole are the cords for the case feeder, MBF and Inline Fab light. They all go to a single power strip under the bench. Tidy. 

I do not have a case feeder.

So why would I buy a motorized MBF over the bullet feeder sold by Hornady?

Also, with my limited work bench, I'm probably more interested in a motorized case feeder over a bullet feeder.

I do have a DAA mini mr bullet and I like it, however i purchased it with store credit at BSPS, that being spend if I was spending cash I would wait for the standard model

The best set up if you’re going the manual bullet feeder route is the MBF die with a set of tubes made by SoCal S&W (the makers of the Bully Adapter). The SoCal tubes are better than the MBF tubes because they are taller and there are more of them (7 tubes in the set vs 6). You can go longer before having to reload. The SoCal tubes drop right onto the MBF die so you don’t need an adapter anymore.

The best set up if you’re going the manual bullet feeder route is the MBF die with a set of tubes made by SoCal S&W (the makers of the Bully Adapter). The SoCal tubes are better than the MBF tubes because they are taller and there are more of them (7 tubes in the set vs 6). You can go longer before having to reload. The SoCal tubes drop right onto the MBF die so you don’t need an adapter anymore.
Appreciate the info. Thank you.

On 4/1/2018 at 2:30 AM, Hooked said:

No rubbung against or interference with the powder tube on a 650?  My Mini Bullet Feeder tubes brush very close to the powder tube, not sure if a larger one has enough clearance.

The outside diameter of the SoCal tubes, even with their larger capacity, is smaller than the MBF tubes.

The SoCal tubes have an outside diameter of 2" while the MBF tubes measure 2.35".

The outside diameter of the SoCal tubes, even with their larger capacity, is smaller than the MBF tubes.

The SoCal tubes have an outside diameter of 2" while the MBF tubes measure 2.35".
What, if anything, holds the tube assembly stationary and keeps it from rotating around with the motion of the press?

17 minutes ago, Tokarev said:

What, if anything, holds the tube assembly stationary and keeps it from rotating around with the motion of the press?

Are you asking about the tubes rotating around the base that the bullet feeding die goes into or are you asking about the whole tube assembly spinning on the die itself?

If you are asking about the tubes, there is a detent in the base that keeps the tubes from moving - the same as the MBF tubes.

If you are asking about the whole unit, it is a friction fit and the loaded weight of the tubes keeps them from moving.

Are you asking about the tubes rotating around the base that the bullet feeding die goes into or are you asking about the whole tube assembly spinning on the die itself?

If you are asking about the tubes, there is a detent in the base that keeps the tubes from moving - the same as the MBF tubes.

If you are asking about the whole unit, it is a friction fit and the loaded weight of the tubes keeps them from moving.
Asking about the magazine assembly as it slides over the die.

So it stays put under its own weight? The internal piece inside the MBF die is free-floating.

27 minutes ago, Tokarev said:

Asking about the magazine assembly as it slides over the die.

So it stays put under its own weight? The internal piece inside the MBF die is free-floating.

Correct, the tube assembly slides over the top of the die and stays in place by gravity.