Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

super vs super comp

LLRukus

35 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Supercomp is rimless and designed to feed better from what I understand. Also might he a slight bump in mag capacity

Sarge is right in saying the main benefit is more reliable feeding. The downside is the cost of the brass. Be in the lookout for used brass especially after Area matches. If you load these several times the cost drops dramatically.

Sarge is right, SC feeds better(although mine works fine with Super), and I can get 1 more round per mag with SC. The cost for new brass is only 10.00 difference between SC and S, so not a big deal, and range brass is really no savings. I found that S brass has slightly more capacity than SC, so I use my SC load in the S.

Supercomp is where it's at... MOST people at local matches here run it and we all hate picking up super from the 1-2 guys that shoot it as it will jam up our presses if we happen to miss one in the sorting. Better feeding without worrying about rounds getting caught in the mag and cost isn't really any different than super, you still gotta buy the brass. As long as your gun runs it, SC all the way. If not, get it tuned to run it so that I don't have to pick up anymore super. :D

Edited by Bird_Dog0347

Very good chance I'll be giving open a try next year. I'm not liking the idea of $0.14 a peice for SC. From what I think I understand, 9mm major is more likely to have issues. I'm hearing they can run shooting 9mmm but .38SC is more reliabale. 

If .38S is about the same price as SC, then I'm not sure I see a reason to go with S?

Edited by B_RAD

SC all the way, more reliable! Yes 9mm brass is cheap IF you get stuff from a reputable source that you KNOW is only once fired factory loads. You don't want to reload 9mm major. Then there's the issue of reliability. Any local match I go to 90% + of the open gun problems are with the 9mm guys, not the 38SC guys. I bought 3k pieces of 38SC brass new from Starline last year and shot a few lost brass big matches and still have over 1500 untouched pieces with about 700 in rotation for loaded rounds. I shoot them until I find a sign of weakness and pick up roughly 80% of what I shoot plus I'm lucky in that I've shot with a few guys that buy new brass and don't pick up so I get some once fired for free.

I've gone through over 5500 projectiles for the 3k brass I bought in the last year and only used 1500... so let's assume 3.7 loads per piece of used brass. So at that pace, right now, my brass actually cost me about $275 total or $0.09/round (since I've only loaded half 3+ times) and I can get way more out of it than that. I know for sure I've loaded the same pieces over 10x each and the first problem I found was loose primers when I was using 115g projectiles and too hot of a load. Every time you reuse a piece of brass, you halve the cost of it which is way better than 9mm in the long run if you're willing to pick it up. Not to mention the wider range of powders and optic mounts.

58 minutes ago, Bird_Dog0347 said:

SC all the way, more reliable! Yes 9mm brass is cheap IF you get stuff from a reputable source that you KNOW is only once fired factory loads. You don't want to reload 9mm major. Then there's the issue of reliability. Any local match I go to 90% + of the open gun problems are with the 9mm guys, not the 38SC guys. I bought 3k pieces of 38SC brass new from Starline last year and shot a few lost brass big matches and still have over 1500 untouched pieces with about 700 in rotation for loaded rounds. I shoot them until I find a sign of weakness and pick up roughly 80% of what I shoot plus I'm lucky in that I've shot with a few guys that buy new brass and don't pick up so I get some once fired for free.

I've gone through over 5500 projectiles for the 3k brass I bought in the last year and only used 1500... so let's assume 3.7 loads per piece of used brass. So at that pace, right now, my brass actually cost me about $275 total or $0.09/round (since I've only loaded half 3+ times) and I can get way more out of it than that. I know for sure I've loaded the same pieces over 10x each and the first problem I found was loose primers when I was using 115g projectiles and too hot of a load. Every time you reuse a piece of brass, you halve the cost of it which is way better than 9mm in the long run if you're willing to pick it up. Not to mention the wider range of powders and optic mounts.

Well........

The Open guns I see have problems are the ones the owner keeps dicking with whether they be 9 or 38. Both my 9’s run great.

As for not reloading 9MAJOR brass that is a total myth. Myself and many others reload 9MAJOR brass over and over AND over. I’m sure I have upwards of ten reloads on some of my brass. It will end up cracked or lost eventually. But then again so will 38. And I can buy 5k 9mm brass for a little over a hundred bucks.

7 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Well........

The Open guns I see have problems are the ones the owner keeps dicking with whether they be 9 or 38. Both my 9’s run great.

As for not reloading 9MAJOR brass that is a total myth. Myself and many others reload 9MAJOR brass over and over AND over. I’m sure I have upwards of ten reloads on some of my brass. It will end up cracked or lost eventually. But then again so will 38. And I can buy 5k 9mm brass for a little over a hundred bucks.

Totally agree... STOP IT! Get it working then work on YOU, not the gun.

Betweeen the 2 I would go comp also

it feeds better in a double stack gun, and if you’re gonna spend the money, go with nickel plated brass

its a lot easier to find both one the ground and in a pile of brass

but my next open guns gonna 9, at my range once fired 9 brass is free 

I started with super and have stuck with it through two guns.  I even bought a Colt 1911 that shoots super.  I can testify that the guns and ammo were trouble free except the handle on my Brazzo cracked and gave me a fit until I discovered what was causing the issue.  replaced the handle and never looked back.

• 2 months later...
On 4/2/2018 at 10:10 PM, Sarge said:

Well........

You said exactly what I was thinking lol.