Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

major power factor

LLRukus

5 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Kinetic energy = 1/2 * mass * velocity * velocity

When you crunch the numbers at constant power factor it works out differently than intuition would suggest. 

So if I understand, it doesnt require much more energy?  Very interesting..... not intuitive at all.

On 3/24/2018 at 12:47 AM, Gooldylocks said:

I wouldn't be afraid of it blowing up for any reason, but I would use slow powder. HS6 or slower. HS6 and load as long as your throat will allow maybe? AA7? 3n38? 1.18"+?

I'm shooting 115gr 9mm bullets with HS6 in my Open gun, and very happy with it...  Lately I've been thinking about trying AA7...  I know you're an HS6 fan, have you ever tried AA7?

• 5 weeks later...

I’ve played with all the different 9 bullets and I’d say you’d want to go lighter depending how efficient your comp is. I personally think 115s are the best. my gun seems to track a slight bit faster with the lighter billet and heavier charge. 

Everyone has different preferences surrounding their component choices:

-loudness

-soft impulse

-muzzle rise

-ease of loading

-component pricing

-wear on gun components

-peer approval ?

And every gun is a little different:

-barrel length

-component design

-barrel ports

-weight

You can absolutely load 9 major using 147s, in fact a friend just reported back how much he loves AA7 under 147s in his Tanfoglio Gold Team.  The Gold Team is an extreme example as it has 12 holes in the barrel and a tiny comp, making it very loud and violent with traditional loads.

I shot 147's when I first got my open gun since I had a ton of them and was waiting on my 115's to come in.

I used WAC for the 147's and am still using it for 115's.  The 147 load felt less harsh in the hands but had more vertical dot movement than 115's.