Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark7 Evolution

I'd say you're over-analyzing things.  It's only those of us wanting to ensure PF is met for major matches who are harping over a couple tenths of a grain of accuracy.  I've been happily loading practice ammo with the MK7 measure as it's currently set up, weighing a charge every so often just to check.  If you're seeing a few tenths of a grain spread, don't worry about it at this point and just load away.  If you only had a half charge, you still would most likely not have a squib, the only squibs I've ever had have been from cases with a primer and NO powder in them when I was a new self-taught reloader and biffed a couple batches not knowing how to correctly clear problems on my old XL650.  Just start loading and shooting, don't let the chatter about this powder measure scare you away from using that sweet expensive press you got!  When MK7 get the new parts out for the measures, upgrade then to tighten up the accuracy just for piece of mind.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome. I’m just new to  reloading so I wanted to make sure I was in the safe range mostly. I completely disassembled the  powder measure to understand it better. I cleaned everything, reassembled, and set it up again and I seem to be getting a little better consistency now. I did the cross hatch scratches with 120 grit on the plunger head per their trouble shooting doc so maybe that helped. Either way I’m good to go for now and this press is just  awesome. Very happy camper right now!

46 minutes ago, WarrenZ said:

What's y'all's opinion of the need for a primer or swage hold down die? Should I order those or are they a just nice to have? I have heard that you can use a size die with the decap pin removed.

I do like my setup, where I have a Mighty Armory decapping die first, then swage backup die and then in the priming station a sizing die with the decapping pin removed.

The Sensor Box sounds like what many manual EVO owners were asking for, the ability to run the digital sensors without the Auto-Drive.  3500 rph speed I assume is just for brass processing?  Primer Orientation Sensor I'm excited about, I've had two instances where due to many factors I had cases coming through the priming station and no primer inserted due to either a primer jam or having the primer sensor turned off and running out of primers in the tube, resulting in a powder mess.

This is good stuff. I'm hoping everything can be used if one upgrades to an Evo Pro. In other words, buy the new sensors and control box when available, later buy an autodrive and remaining sensors and everything will be happy working together!

You won't need the control box if you upgrade to the auto-drive, it comes with a controller integrated into the auto-drive unit.  I'd say if you plan to upgrade to the auto-drive at some point, just do it all in one shot, especially since they seem to still be running the "3 free sensor" promotion that they did for Black Friday last year when I got my Pro upgrade.  I saw a banner in one of their SHOT photos that has that promotion listed on it as their SHOT Show special.  It's a pretty good deal, somewhere in the neighborhood of $800-$1000 of free sensors. 

1 hour ago, Tanfastic said:

You won't need the control box if you upgrade to the auto-drive, it comes with a controller integrated into the auto-drive unit.  I'd say if you plan to upgrade to the auto-drive at some point, just do it all in one shot, especially since they seem to still be running the "3 free sensor" promotion that they did for Black Friday last year when I got my Pro upgrade.  I saw a banner in one of their SHOT photos that has that promotion listed on it as their SHOT Show special.  It's a pretty good deal, somewhere in the neighborhood of $800-$1000 of free sensors

I talked to them about the Black Friday sale during the sale last year and I'm not ready to pull the trigger on going auto. I really don't shoot enough to justify the expense. Besides, we were in the process or buying and have since signed on a new place so I will definitely be hanging onto my pennies for now. However, the primer orientation sensor is of interest, but I'm going to hold till I set up my new reloading area and see if I can get my RF 100 to behave a bit better. That will solve 1/2 my problems! 

Thanks for the new update. I have not been able to do any more tests, but I hope to tomorrow or next weekend.now that I have the SwageSense and PrimerSense pigtail harness. I will try 1900rph. and if it get that good of a spread, I'll set it as my default (with 3 up & down dwell) and so be it.

Now, is only USPS can find my package of Montana Gold bullets! 🤬

6 hours ago, Smithcity said:

Need to provide an update on my powder accuracy analysis. Picked up a GemPro 250 and compared powder drops against my Dillon and Hornady scales. The EVO was running at 1900RPH with a bottom dwell of 2. It would seem:

1. The Dillon and Hornday scales have some drift and repeatability issues. 

2. The Mark 7 mechanical powder drop may have a more accurate drop than your scale can measure. Dillon and Hornady was reading a 0.2gr spread. The GemPro 250 read a 0.12gr spread. For a 4.26gr drop, I'm quite happy with a 2.8% variation. 

However, it is still true that the powder drop is machine speed dependent.

Capture.PNG.946d3d33ebfc65ae8305adbf7f8ac8f4.PNG

Where did you find a Gempro 250?  I looked for one a few weeks ago and found them discontinued and no one had any in stock.

Personally I won't be happy with a .12 gr variation.  But that is a lot better than what I was experiencing with my MK7. 

I have a gem pro 250. With my hornady powder measure I get about .04gr variation with titegroup, AA#7, sport pistol.  With wst I get about .06gr with the hornady.  

I hope the new linkage updates will get the MK7 under .1. I'm hopeful, I discovered if I manually activate the MK7 measure by hand (not by moving the tool head), I was able to replicate the results of the hornady.

MK7 still has my measure. Going on a month or so. They did call and asked if I wanted the measure back until they get the linkage update. Since I have the hornady, I told them to keep it until it's fixed to my satisfaction! They said it can take a few months until they get the updated linkage!

I've been happy with how they are handling the measure problem. It sucks that it's been problematic but I feel like they are trying to make it right for everyone! 

On a side note. I have got all the small little problems Ive experienced worked out on the press. Its finally enjoyable to use and I can really crank out some ammo. 

I am not happy either with a .12gr variation especially since my 1050 was almost spot on with a max spread of .02gr.

I just don't want to spend the money on a Dillon or Hornady. I'll just wait until they fix it as this spread "should not" cause much accuracy impact for 9mm pistol or PCC. 

8 hours ago, Stymie12000 said:

Personally I won't be happy with a .12 gr variation.  But that is a lot better than what I was experiencing with my MK7. 

I have a gem pro 250. With my hornady powder measure I get about .04gr variation with titegroup, AA#7, sport pistol.  With wst I get about .06gr with the hornady.  

I hope the new linkage updates will get the MK7 under .1. I'm hopeful, I discovered if I manually activate the MK7 measure by hand (not by moving the tool head), I was able to replicate the results of the hornady.

MK7 still has my measure. Going on a month or so. They did call and asked if I wanted the measure back until they get the linkage update. Since I have the hornady, I told them to keep it until it's fixed to my satisfaction! They said it can take a few months until they get the updated linkage!

I've been happy with how they are handling the measure problem. It sucks that it's been problematic but I feel like they are trying to make it right for everyone! 

On a side note. I have got all the small little problems Ive experienced worked out on the press. Its finally enjoyable to use and I can really crank out some ammo. 

I tested my Hornady case activated powder measure with Silhouette a few days ago and according to my GemPro 250 I had 7 That were 8.30, 2 that were 8.26 and one that was 8.32

For those that arent happy with 0.12gr for a 4.26gr load, if 2.82% variation is to much, what should we be asking for?

For 9mm, I dont see a problem with a 0.12gr variation. For long range precision rifle, I can see an arguement to be made...

Keep in mind my data is for VVN340. I wouldn't be surprised if other powder drops more consistently. 

10 hours ago, Smithcity said:

For those that arent happy with 0.12gr for a 4.26gr load, if 2.82% variation is to much, what should we be asking for?

For 9mm, I dont see a problem with a 0.12gr variation. For long range precision rifle, I can see an arguement to be made...

Keep in mind my data is for VVN340. I wouldn't be surprised if other powder drops more consistently. 

I load for pcc with a 2.6 gr of powder. So .12 is too much of a spread for my needs! 

Hornady has it figured out! It does .04gr, that's 3 times more accurate. I spent the money to upgrade  to the MK7 from my Hornady press. However SO FAR, my MK7 powder measure has performed horribly to the Hornady.

I don't think it's too much to ask for the MK7 to perform equally the the Hornady. MK7 has the powder measure listed at $329 on their website. You can by the hornady and the case activated linkage for half the price of the MK7. So I guess to answer your question, you should expect this to perform equally to a measure that cost half the price! 

Like I said before! I'm optimistic that MK7 will get it right! Im sure they want to make it just as accurate as their half priced competition. I know their measure can achieve the same accuracy as the hornady. In my testing before my measure went back, I was able to match the accuracy of the Hornady.  The MK7 accuracy problems started when I used the case activated portion. So an updated linkage solution makes since!

35 minutes ago, Stymie12000 said:

I load for pcc with a 2.6 gr of powder. So .12 is too much of a spread for my needs! 

Hornady has it figured out! It does .04gr, that's 3 times more accurate. I spent the money to upgrade  to the MK7 from my Hornady press. However SO FAR, my MK7 powder measure has performed horribly to the Hornady.

I don't think it's too much to ask for the MK7 to perform equally the the Hornady. MK7 has the powder measure listed at $329 on their website. You can by the hornady and the case activated linkage for half the price of the MK7. So I guess to answer your question, you should expect this to perform equally to a measure that cost half the price! 

Like I said before! I'm optimistic that MK7 will get it right! Im sure they want to make it just as accurate as their half priced competition. I know their measure can achieve the same accuracy as the hornady. In my testing before my measure went back, I was able to match the accuracy of the Hornady.  The MK7 accuracy problems started when I used the case activated portion. So an updated linkage solution makes since!

Wow , 2.6gr! I wouldn't be surprised if the mk7 powder drop absolute spread is volume dependent.  E.g at 4.26gr its a 0.12gr spread maybe at 2.13gr maybe its a 0.06gr spread.  Who knows....I see what you are saying. Sounds like that hornady drop is pretty good.

On 1/27/2019 at 7:51 AM, Stymie12000 said:

It's less than 5% variance, so shouldn't be any kind of major problem.  If you're scraping the absolute bottom of the PF floor and worried about going under, then just bump up to 2.7 and call it good, no?

3 hours ago, Tanfastic said:

It's less than 5% variance, so shouldn't be any kind of major problem.  If you're scraping the absolute bottom of the PF floor and worried about going under, then just bump up to 2.7 and call it good, no?

If you are good with that kind of variance then great! Personally I am not happy with a 5% variance. Just because you say it's ok and I SHOULDN'T have a problem.  Doesn't make it ok for me! I may like my ammo loaded to a little bit tighter tolerance.  Than some or even most shooters. 

I guess we aren't going to get our "Mark 7 Evo Tuning & Troubleshooting" thread split out by the mods, it's just going to keep growing here amongst all of the chit chat.  So I'll add more:  regarding the MK7 digital powder check, I checked the spread using the "new brass" measuring bar (even though I'm using range brass), with my charge set at 3.1gr of Titegroup, the powder check throws and out of spec for anything below 1.8gr and anything over 4.1.  I know some were wondering about that based upon prior conversation.  So don't expect the powder check to give you a really tight tolerance check, that's not what it's designed for, it's more for "problem" variances for safety.  It's great to know you're not going to kick out any squib or boom rounds.