Mark7 Evolution

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Tanfastic said:

Is your primer rocker arm moving freely with the shoulder bolt that holds it tight?  I had an issue similar to what you're describing and it was the primer seating shaft sticking up slightly into the path of the slider and causing it to snag occasionally and mucking things up.  The rocker arm was not moving freely and was causing that shaft to stick up just slightly sometimes. 

I will check that tonight. thanks!!

Edited by TRPOperator

1 hour ago, TRPOperator said:

I will check that tonight. thanks!!

In the support videos it says to use blue loctite and make sure the bolt is tight and does not back out.  When I tightened mine all the way tight, the rocker would bind up and not move smoothly.  There was a thin shim washer on the shoulder bolt, when I took the shim off then I was able to tighten the bolt up fully while still having free movement of the rocker.  Per MK7 Support that is fine, just always make sure that the bolt is greased up so the rocker moves smoothly.

I talked with Dan at Inline Fabrication about lighting.  Their 1050 toolhead light (LED head w/ bracket) fits the Evo.  I'd like to see them sell one with two lighting heads, since the Evo's tool head is so wide.  

Edited by teros135

1 hour ago, teros135 said:

I talked with Dan at Inline Fabrication about lighting.  Their 1050 toolhead light (LED head w/ bracket) fits the Evo.  I'd like to see them sell one with two lighting heads, since the Evo's tool head is so wide.  

I'd be in for that also.

2 hours ago, tanks said:

In the automated mode having decent brass is important. As others have mentioned the ringer alarm works. However, I do pre-process my brass. Everything gets roll sized first, then decapped and sized. At max speed of the Revolution it doesn't take much time to do it as you can set dwell times to 0 for brass processing. I have a spare tool head with Mighty Armory decapping die, swage back up, and a .40 S&W sizing die for brass processing and my main tool head has everything but the decapping die.

I haven't had jamming issues at the priming station since I started pre-processing my brass.

I am strongly considering buying another toolhead and do the same.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:39 AM, mikamarj said:

This applies to the technical support. If you need help adjusting the machine, they are doing a great job.

Where they are not as good as Dillon, is the availability of warranty/replacement parts. My Evo Pro arrived with an out-of-spec powder measure that would get stuck if it had both actuating arms installed. It worked with just one actuator, but M7 said it is only a temporary solution, it needs to be fixed to have both arms. I asked if I can keep my press running with the one arm powder measure, get a new one and then send the out-of-spec one back. They said that it is possible, but requested a payment for the new powder measure that would be refunded when the old one was delivered to them. I decided I want my 6500€ new press working without any extra payment so I sent the powder measure for fixing. Since I live in different country, it took one and a half months from sending the powder measure out to receiving it back fixed.

On Dillon side, many are used to receiving free replacement parts for like a 30 year old press that has seen a lot of use. That is perhaps more than what you paid for or could reasonably expect/demand. But having a 6500€ new, dead-on-arrival press that you have to either pay or wait 1.5 months to get fixed is not the most awesome attitude I have seen.

Another area where I think the M7 company should develop is the openness and availability of information. When I had ordered my machine and was waiting for it, I asked if I could already get access to the customer support forum, so I would be able to prepare for possible issues that might arise and read the manuals so I know beforehand what kind of tools or lubes I might need to purchase. Answer was no, you need to have your individual serial number to get that access and information.
I also asked if they could share information on what the pins for BulletSense do, since I have an idea (borrowed from a friend who already implemented it on a self-made automation for Dillon 1050) on how to make a better BulletSense. Answer was no, it is a trade secret. Okay, that means I have to spend 15 minutes reverse-engineering the connector (unless anyone already has the BulletSense opened and can share which pin of the connector goes where -- please contact me if you do!).

And don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the company or the product. The product itself is amazing, light-years ahead of the competition and I'm sure you will be very happy if you decide to buy it. And the technical support will help you fix any issues you might encounter. And they are still continuing to develop the products, lately they have made improvements to at least the primer rocker bolt, primer punch etc. But yes, they still have areas where the company needs to develop.

I fully agree with Mikamarj. Well worded.

On 1/10/2019 at 4:39 AM, mikamarj said:

<snip>
And don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the company or the product. The product itself is amazing, light-years ahead of the competition and I'm sure you will be very happy if you decide to buy it. And the technical support will help you fix any issues you might encounter. And they are still continuing to develop the products, lately they have made improvements to at least the primer rocker bolt, primer punch etc. But yes, they still have areas where the company needs to develop.

Agreed, as an Evo Pro owner.

Edited by teros135

Ahh got it! Great explanation. I just checked mine just in case and it seems OK for now.  I'll make sure to keep an eye on it.

I just downloaded the exploded diagram and video to make sure I know what needs to be oiled/lubed.

7 hours ago, Tanfastic said:

ADMINS: Would it make sense to split out a separate "Mark 7 Evoluotion Troubleshooting" thread from this discussion, as it's already at 55 pages of mostly blather, and will be difficult for the technical content to provide value to new Evo press owners if these posts are left buried in the middle of all this?  Just a suggestion.

Good idea.  (And call it "Evolution"? 😂 )

Edited by teros135

4 minutes ago, LowBoost said:

Well..I have run out of ideas on how to get it to work without binding in the up position. I can get it to rotate all the way up, but it will stay there and not come back down.

So if you just manually flip the rod up to the top with your finger, it stays there and gets stuck and doesn't come back down?

1 hour ago, LowBoost said:

Well..I have run out of ideas on how to get it to work without binding in the up position. I can get it to rotate all the way up, but it will stay there and not come back down.

I had the same issue and the powder drop was crushing cases because it would not go up any further even tho it had more travel. 

I had to send the funnel back and they told me there was nothing I could of done to fix the issue. 

12 hours ago, Tanfastic said:

ADMINS: Would it make sense to split out a separate "Mark 7 Evoluotion Troubleshooting" thread from this discussion, as it's already at 55 pages of mostly blather, and will be difficult for the technical content to provide value to new Evo press owners if these posts are left buried in the middle of all this?  Just a suggestion.

I agree. My Evo (manual version) just arrived and I have already found myself searching through this thread more than a few times for posts I remember reading about.

6 hours ago, SnowinOnRaton said:

I agree. My Evo (manual version) just arrived and I have already found myself searching through this thread more than a few times for posts I remember reading about.

#2. I spent an hour looking for a post the other evening. 

13 hours ago, LowBoost said:

Actually, it is near all the way in. Maybe a 1/4 turn out. I will try that tomorrow although it is not sticking right now. The additional flare is what bothers me now.

You should have NO additional flare created by the powder die, if you do it's adjusted too far down with too much pressure on the case.  Definitely check what was mentioned about about the adjustment screw being in too far, I had the same issue last summer when messing with it and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't move smoothly.  I'm running about as low of a charge as anyone probably is, 3.1gr, and the measure works fine with the adjuster screwed out just far enough to produce that load.

Tanfastic - Your post is a big relief. I have not posted in the last couple of days doing a lot of set-up and testing. Coincidentally, I ended up increasing the loading speed to 1900rph as I feel it is the best compromise. I also ended up with a top and bottom dwell of 2 to make sure the powder accommodates at both ends of the stroke.

Not getting the consistent results I would prefer, but it is much better than it was initially.

I agree with you that a 0.1 spread would be ideal (As that is what I was used to). Other than that, I am very happy with the Evo Pro.

Edited by LowBoost

1 hour ago, SnowinOnRaton said:

Thanks for this info. I can stop trying to trouble shoot this on my own for now. I’ll give them a call to see what they say about a time frame for a fix. Thanks!

They said "after SHOT Show" so at least a couple weeks.  

10 hours ago, LowBoost said:

Tanfastic - Your post is a big relief. I have not posted in the last couple of days doing a lot of set-up and testing. Coincidentally, I ended up increasing the loading speed to 1900rph as I feel it is the best compromise. I also ended up with a top and bottom dwell of 2 to make sure the powder accommodates at both ends of the stroke.

Not getting the consistent results I would prefer, but it is much better than it was initially.

I agree with you that a 0.1 spread would be ideal (As that is what I was used to). Other than that, I am very happy with the Evo Pro.

I have top and bottom dwell set at 3 and getting the 0.1 spread as I mentioned at speeds of 2-3K rph.

I have a newbie question. The Hodgdon loading data says CFE-Pistol loads for 115gr FMJ-RN are 5.3-5.8 range. The Mark7 powder measure is consistent enough to stay in that range but let’s say for the sake of argument that it threw a 5.2 or 5.1 charge. Would that be light enough to cause a squib or is that not really something I should be concerned about with a couple tenths below the minimum recommended charge weight?

Thanks for the reply’s guys. I had my info a little crossed but like you guys said I should be more than fine. I mixed up the Hornady Manual info with the Hodgdon site info when I typed my question. Below is the specific info from the book and the site. I loaded an RMR FMJ-RN with a target 5.5 gr and C.O.L. 1.125. This is just range ammo for my wife and I. We don’t shoot competitions so this is just practice ammo. We’re just trying to get a little more bang for our buck and loading our own saves about $40-$50 per 1000 rounds. Every little bit adds up as they say. 🙃

On another note, I saw on the High Road forum where a couple guys successfully added the Hornandy case activation linkage to the Redding 10x so I might go that route if the Mark7 fix takes too long. 😀  

Hornady 10th Edition

Hodgdon CFE-Pistol

115 gr FMJ-RN

C.O.L. 1.100

4.7 gr 1000 fps 

4.9 gr 1050 fps 

5.3 gr 1100 fps 

5.5 gr 1150 fps 

5.8 gr 1200 fps

Hodgdon website

CFE-Pistol

115 gr SPR GDHP