Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommended Posts

Yes, that is an option. I thought about the S1050 and a Mark7 Autodrive. I really want to give the Evo Pro a chance, but as time passes by, I have less time to deal with mechanical issues. The little time I have is to go out shooting and enjoy the family. I wanted an automated press to help me speed up the process and load the necessary amount of bulk ammo I need. 

 

@TMZ - That is a nice setup! :)  I will call M7 next Monday to see where my order stands. If it will not ship in December I may cancel the order (again!). I haven't reloaded since February and sold my S1050 shortly after. I ran out of ammo a while ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the ticket Tony. Nice setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tmz said:

I originally had my order in for the evolution but canceled and went this exact route after giving up on the wait time.  A friend of mine stuck with his order and finally received his evolution and I’m glad and this is just me that I did change my order and go this route. 

A little video  so you can see different options   

 

 

That thing sure is running slow. Never have an issue running my Mark 7 1050 pro Autodrive at over 2,100 output using mixed, unprocessed brass.

 

 

The Ammobot or Mark 7 autodrives still dont fix the s#!tty priming system on a 1050 that seems to poop the bed whenever it wants to.

 

That alone is worth the upgrade to a Evo unit from Mark 7. Ill happily wait as kinks are worked out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never had much trouble with my 1050 and mark7.  Once I found the right die combo it ran great. 

 

I sold it because I needed the money at the time but last years taxes didnt F me as bad as expected so I went with the evo pro. I'm a gadget guy and M7 support has been good to me. The thing is brand new. Everyone that orders one this year is an early adopter and you should expect to have to work through a few issues.  Do you think the first round of Dillon presses went out without customers having trouble?  No.  I'm receiving my fully rebuilt powder measure next week and will let you know how it goes.  You cant go wrong with a 1050 and m7 I just like the new toys.  With that said the evo is built like a tank compared to the 1050. Have not had a priming problem in 5k rounds. I had one federal NT brass sneak through which jammed it up but that wasn't the evos fault.  I really wanted the primer collator but I'm pretty happy with the evo and the rf100.  

Edited by CrashDodson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Do you think the first round of Dillon presses went out without customers having trouble? “

Lol. There’s an entire forum full of “fixes” for persistent Dillon issues that have never been resolved by Dillon. There’s also a healthy bit of aftermarket parts and support out there because of that as well.

I’m also awaiting an Evo vs going with a 1050 with known shortcomings. I don’t mind the wait, I think it’ll be worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not bashing M7 at all, neither the wait. We all knew the waiting game when we signed up for it. Let me put it this way...What I meant to say is that I am not sure if at this time in my life where time is an extreme luxury (and lacking) that being an early adopter of a product would be a good idea for me. It looks like the only pending action issue is the power dispenser.

 

As for the Dillon's, even though I have heard a lot of issues with the primer system, I never had any issues with both of my S1050s. I guess I was one of the lucky ones.

 

Everyone who's got their Evo/Pros are really happy, so that is at least a big relief. Probably I should just stop whining, shut the hell up and wait for the Pro to arrive and be happy! LOL🤣    Just bear with me guys, 10 months without reloading and almost 2.5 months without shooting because of no ammo!!! I am about to get depressed! I guess I just needed to vent. haha

Edited by LowBoost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2018 at 2:34 PM, Maximis228 said:

 

That thing sure is running slow. Never have an issue running my Mark 7 1050 pro Autodrive at over 2,100 output using mixed, unprocessed brass.

 

 

The Ammobot or Mark 7 autodrives still dont fix the s#!tty priming system on a 1050 that seems to poop the bed whenever it wants to.

 

That alone is worth the upgrade to a Evo unit from Mark 7. Ill happily wait as kinks are worked out.

For me I only shoot an average 1200 rounds a month  and I have my AmmoBot set at 1140 an hour that’s what’s in the video.  I can go twice the speed but truly there is no need for it, at least in my situation. 

 

I’ve had three 1050s throughout the years and have loaded thousands and thousands of rounds without a primer  ignition and just my opinion I think a lot of people’s problems in that situation is how you process your brass  and how clean you keep your machine but once again that’s just my opinion. Some people don’t process their brass which means they have to pay way more attention when it comes to the loading  session and what’s going into the machine.  Once again this is just my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tmz said:

...

 

I’ve had three 1050s throughout the years and have loaded thousands and thousands of rounds without a primer  ignition and just my opinion I think a lot of people’s problems in that situation is how you process your brass  and how clean you keep your machine but once again that’s just my opinion. Some people don’t process their brass which means they have to pay way more attention when it comes to the loading  session and what’s going into the machine.  Once again this is just my opinion. 

 

The issue I have had with the 1050 priming system was not that I had primer ignition, but the fact that I had to take it apart, clean and put it together every few thousand rounds. It would hit the point of not seating properly or jamming otherwise.

 

Now, I don't know how the Evolution or Evolution Pro priming system is as I have the automatic primer collator/feeder on a Revolution, but it seems to be working fine based on what people have been saying on this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tanks said:

 

The issue I have had with the 1050 priming system was not that I had primer ignition, but the fact that I had to take it apart, clean and put it together every few thousand rounds. It would hit the point of not seating properly or jamming otherwise.

 

 

 

I had that problem for almost 2 years.  When I mentioned it to the gentleman I bought my first RL 1050 from, he said to hit it with a few good blasts of air, pretty much from all angles around the primer slide, every 1000 rounds or so.  

 

 Since I've been doing that, I haven't had to disassemble to clean the primer area except when swapping from large primers to small....   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plumbed 1/4” tubing from the compressor in my garage to my basement so I could have a blowoff nozzle next to my press.

Best mod ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, B_Seehawer said:

I plumbed 1/4” tubing from the compressor in my garage to my basement so I could have a blowoff nozzle next to my press.

Best mod ever.

 

I've been using canned dusters, like for computers.  Works pretty well.  The compressor sounds like a good idea.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plumbed another line with a regulator over to my bench where I work on guns too. When I clean, I use a tub of odorless mineral spirits. Brush off, then blow dry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, Mark7 has been busy this "winter" working along with "Santas Elve's" and shipped a bunch of products.

My Evo Pro shipped on the 27th, arrived Yesterday to Destination Facility (The "Browns" will not allow me to pick-up).

My packages are sitting there until Wednesday. 😭   Oh well, the wait is almost over.

I plan to remain in my "man cave" until I am done setting it up late next week before my vacation is over and I have to return to work. 😟

 

Edited by LowBoost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, LowBoost said:

Well, Mark7 has been busy this "winter" working along with "Santas Elve's" and shipped a bunch of products.

My Evo Pro shipped on the 27th, arrived Yesterday to Destination Facility (The "Browns" will not allow me to pick-up).

My packages are sitting there until Wednesday. 😭   Oh well, the wait is almost over.

I plan to remain in my "man cave" until I am done setting it up late next week before my vacation is over and I have to return to work. 😟

 

Good for you, have fun with your new toy. I'm still setting up mine but in no real rush as it will be moving to our new home in a few months. I'm very impressed so far with my Evo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just recieved my rebuilt powder measure.  The action is a lot smoother.  Haven't been motivated to go put it back on and run some rounds yet but hopeful my issues are behind me.  Now if I could get some might armory pins that the primers dont stick to I would be a happy guy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for any newbie (or stupid questions). I started reading the Evo Pro manuals before my packages arrive. 

1) Are any parts lubed/greased from the factory or do I need to do so while assembly?

2) What lube/grease is recommended or are you using while assembly/maintenance?

3) I expect to take my time and not rush the set-up, but wonder if there are any area(s) I need to pay special attention to?

4) Tips/Suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure seems like a lot of people are having issues with these new presses. I went with the 1050 to give them time to work out all the issues and get production a little better. A lot of stuff you have to wait on. Hopefully in a couple years all the bugs will be worked out and no waiting on stuff. It’ll be a evo pro for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LowBoost said:

Sorry for any newbie (or stupid questions). I started reading the Evo Pro manuals before my packages arrive. 

1) Are any parts lubed/greased from the factory or do I need to do so while assembly?

2) What lube/grease is recommended or are you using while assembly/maintenance?

3) I expect to take my time and not rush the set-up, but wonder if there are any area(s) I need to pay special attention to?

4) Tips/Suggestions?


1/2) Parts are lubed/greased from the factory. You'll need some thin machine oil (gun oil is probably fine), Lucas Red'n'Tacky #2 grease and some MolyCoat grease.
3) At least my powder measure would get stuck at first, before it was fixed by Mark 7. So pay close attention to that.
4) Go slow first. Get at least the Powder Check and Swage Sense sensors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info. Will order the Red'n'Tacky #2 and MolyCoat. I got a few sensors except Decap and Low Primer sensors which I guess I will need sooner than later. 

 

Happy New Year to all fellow forum members! :)

Edited by LowBoost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would also recommend ordering some different size syringes to get that grease and oil where it needs to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Sure seems like a lot of people are having issues with these new presses. I went with the 1050 to give them time to work out all the issues and get production a little better. A lot of stuff you have to wait on. Hopefully in a couple years all the bugs will be worked out and no waiting on stuff. It’ll be a evo pro for me. 

 

Same here.

 

The Super 1050 is a decades old machine, and a revision of previous models like the RL 1000. It’s been troubleshooted by Dillon and by companies making aftermarket modifications, like Level10’s awesome toolhead spring and cup.

 

In two years the Evo will be equally bug free, and I may consider grabbing one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup... Dillon has done a great job at improving their machines. So much so there is a whole industry to fix them. 🤣

 

Ill have my Evo Friday, assuming Jacksonville FL UPS Sort Facility gets off their ass (Been sitting since the 27th).

 

Ill set it up next to my other Mark 7 driven 1050s as well as right next to another manual 1050 set up for 9mm. Ill have the two presses side by side for comparison on the exact same load, at least that is the goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

like Level10’s awesome toolhead spring and cup.

I've been wondering about the toolhead spring. Would you say it's definitely worth the purchase? I'm not running any sort of autodrive like the Mk7, but I'm nearing about ~14k cycles and they're claiming you'll start to see wear from the OEM spring after ~20k. I'm definitely already seeing it start to deform, and the toolhead doesn't quite bounce up like it did when it was brand new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, tacomandood said:

 Would you say it's definitely worth the purchase?

 

... the toolhead doesn't quite bounce up like it did when it was brand new.

 

Yes. Definitely money well spent. Dillon released a revised spring and cup, but in 5k it is still back to sagging.

 

What level10 did is kinda obvious. The cup is much much longer. Almost resting on the mounting bracket. This way they can run a longer and stiffer spring... but it isn’t fatigued by being nearly crushed flat on every handle stroke. It has a lot of compression left when the shellplate is fully down.

 

It will hold the toolhead up with effort to spare. If you release the handle to work on things it will happily sit at top of stroke waiting for another pull.

 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

 

Yes. Definitely money well spent. Dillon released a revised spring and cup, but in 5k it is still back to sagging.

 

What level10 did is kinda obvious. The cup is much much longer. Almost resting on the mounting bracket. This way they can run a longer and stiffer spring... but it isn’t fatigued by being nearly crushed flat on every handle stroke. It has a lot of compression left when the shellplate is fully down.

 

It will hold the toolhead up with effort to spare. If you release the handle to work on things it will happily sit at top of stroke waiting for another pull.

 

I have the level 10 spring and bushing. Plus I have the reloading innovations spill kit and bearing upgrade. Gonna hold off on putting upgrades in. Gonna lose some first to see how the press works and to get used to it. It’s a new experience for me coming off the 650s for over 10 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...