Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark7 Evolution

1 hour ago, cvincent said:

Dang, bro! what do you do with a 500 S&W to shoot so much of it you need an Evo?

1.  According to S&W's chief engineer on the .500, I've done more ammo development on the .500 than the factory;

2.  The .500 is my favorite handgun to shoot, largely replacing the S&W .44s I started shooting in quantity in 1971;

3.  I started a shooting school in 2003 that has over 7,000 graduates.  Some of them wanted to learn to shoot the .500 well;

4.  Some buyers of the .500 variant that I designed want ammo I developed for it;

5.  I've always liked shooting big guns...

Idaho 76-78.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, tanks said:

FYI, roll sizing gets rid of the bulge at the bottom of the case as sizing dies can't get that low. You still need to full length size the case. Now, if you really want to reduce "stress on shell plates" then you could decap, size and prime in one pass and do the powder charge, seat and crimp on another pass. A bit of an overkill though.

The Case Pro 100:     "By the time you have finished pulling the Operating Handle forward the bulge has been moved upward to the point where your sizing die can completely remove it!"

http://www.casepro100.com/how_it_works.ydev

The bulge will be very close to the top of the case so less stress on the shell plate when de-capping and sizing.

You need to read all my replies I said if I get the 650 I will need to do two passes when reloading.  I still think the Case Pro 100 will be a benefit.

On my Hornady Lock N Load I do two passes.  resize de-prime , prime, bell. first pass.

One thing about the Evolution it seems to be a much stronger and well built press I probably would not need the Case Pro 100  Especially if I get the following.

I want to purchase a Second Guide Pin (suggested for rifle calibers) [+$149.95]  the sales lady never heard of it.  I ordered my Press with 40 caliber so it is not included.  I try to order it on line and I get this message. "please select all required options."  If I also order the Press I can order it but my press is ordered through DAA.

I think it will help with flex and stability on the shell plate even when loading pistol cartridges.  Especially 9mm which is a tapered case and harder to resize than straight a straight wall case..

I might even order the Third Guide Pin (suggested for large rifle calibers) [+$174.95]

I want a machine that is as stable (I do not like flex) as possible no matter what I load.

40 minutes ago, Norm37 said:

Because every time I call with a sales question the sales person says.  I don't have any technical answers I will have to get back to you.  Or I will have to ask my manager.  Never a call back.

I do have an order with DAA for those who do not believe. 

$500 downpayment for the Mark 7 Evolution reloading press in 40 caliber.  I will send in my military ID for the military discount.

Thanks, Norm

Response: This transaction has been approved. (1)
Transaction ID: 409xxxxxxxx                  I will only give the first three numbers of my transaction.

*You're

5 minutes ago, JohnFRoss said:

1.  According to S&W's chief engineer on the .500, I've done more ammo development on the .500 than the factory;

2.  The .500 is my favorite handgun to shoot, largely replacing the S&W .44s I started shooting in quantity in 1971;

3.  I started a shooting school in 2003 that has over 7,000 graduates.  Some of them wanted to learn to shoot the .500 well;

4.  Some buyers of the .500 variant that I designed want ammo I developed for it;

Idaho 76-78.jpg

That's some seriously beautiful history there. Appreciate you sharing! 

2 minutes ago, Norm37 said:

The Case Pro 100:     "By the time you have finished pulling the Operating Handle forward the bulge has been moved upward to the point where your sizing die can completely remove it!"

http://www.casepro100.com/how_it_works.ydev

The bulge will be very close to the top of the case so less stress on the shell plate when de-capping and sizing.

You need to read all my replies I said if I get the 650 I will need to do two passes when reloading.  I still think the Case Pro 100 will be a benefit.

I know all about the Case Pro 100. As a matter of fact I will be selling the one on the video soon. Not because it is a bad product, but because I decided to go a different direction.

1 minute ago, tanks said:

I know all about the Case Pro 100. As a matter of fact I will be selling the one on the video soon. Not because it is a bad product, but because I decided to go a different direction.

Yea one that sucks less and outputs 4x as much for less cost. At Least I hope its the Rollsizer or something similar.

1653039259_Idaho76-78.thumb.jpg.d7c5969ec6e446f480c58b485c7510ea.jpg

Very cool! Just curious is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, Norm37 said:

Because every time I call with a sales question the sales person says.  I don't have any technical answers I will have to get back to you.  Or I will have to ask my manager.  Never a call back.

I do have an order with DAA for those who do not believe. 

$500 downpayment for the Mark 7 Evolution reloading press in 40 caliber.  I will send in my military ID for the military discount.

Thanks, Norm

Response: This transaction has been approved. (1)
Transaction ID: 409xxxxxxxx                  I will only give the first three numbers of my transaction.

What are your questions?  I will do my best to answer them or get you answers.  

44 minutes ago, CrashDodson said:

Im not questioning if you bought one or not.  I just dont think you should be able to call support for a product you dont have regardless if its a press or a toaster.  

I have not called support, I have called sales about purchasing a second guide pin.  The sales lady had not heard of it and said I can't answer any technical questions.

being as she did not know anything it would have been nice to be able to talk to a tec support person to see if even a third guide pin would help or be over kill.

The sale people I have talked to so far don't have a clue.

23 minutes ago, tanks said:

Guide pin for what?

"Step 13 - Accessories

Second Guide Pin (suggested for rifle calibers) [+$149.95]
Third Guide Pin (suggested for large rifle calibers) [+$174.95]"

If you order an Evolution now with a rifle caliber you get the second guide pin.

One of the guys in another thread received his Evolution a few months ago and it did not have the second guide pin.  He is getting a fair amount of flex in his machine.  The second guide pin should reduce the flex an help stabilize things.

Edited by Norm37

I just looked at my press. I guess Revolution gets shipped with all three. Assuming the two pins are the pins that are mentioned. I have no other holes on top of the case head.

Edited by tanks

30 minutes ago, tanks said:

I just looked at my press. I guess Revolution gets shipped with all three. Assuming the two pins are the pins that are mentioned. I have no other holes on top of the case head.

Good to hear.  I would think the Revolution Press would ship with all the bells and whistles.

The Evolution is a consumer Press and Mark 7 probably cut costs wherever they could.

I have also thought about upgrading my Evolution order to the Revolution as it would be a much better press.  It has also been out for awhile now so all the kinks should be worked out.

But at my age it would be kind of a waste of money as my wife is still alive. Her income would be reduced when I pass. So I don't want to go overboard with spending on a Press.  Check my user name.  I'm an old guy.  Who knows if my cancer will return??? Finished radiation and chemo treatment awhile back and now I'm on a monthly infusion treatment to boost my immune system.  It seems to be working so far.

I really had no idea that my Dillon presses (550 and XL650) were such awful products until I found this thread.  I'm thinking that I might just pick up a used 1050.  These presses seem to be pretty nice stuff, just more than I need at this point.  Just curious, how much money does everyone have invested in their new press by the time they have it running?

9 minutes ago, BadShot said:

I really had no idea that my Dillon presses (550 and XL650) were such awful products until I found this thread.  I'm thinking that I might just pick up a used 1050.  These presses seem to be pretty nice stuff, just more than I need at this point.  Just curious, how much money does everyone have invested in their new press by the time they have it running?

Right now the manual Evolution Press is $2,999.95 for one caliber. Evolution (automated) Pro $5088.95

Adding calibers to both and (sensors on the Pro)can get spendy real fast.  Then they also have a primer collator just under a $1000. Below is their website.

https://www.markvii-loading.com/

The Revolution is in another league all by itself.

I have a question on your XL 650.  How stable is the press when sizing and also when belling with the powder measure?  Does it spill powder?

With my Hornady Lock N load I have to reload in two stages.  Size and de-prime, Prime, Bell first stage.

Powder drop, Powder check (Redding Lock out die), Bullet drop(Minnie Mr. Bullet feeder). Seat, Crimp.  Second stage.

My thought is if I go with the XL650  Size and de-prime, Prime, Powder drop and bell at the same time, Powder Lock Out Die, Minnie Mr. bullet feeder,  Seat and crimp with the Hornady Die.  So I would not be seating and crimping in two steps only one.  But that's ok with me as I only practice at our local indoor range. No precision shooting.

I could not do it in one stage on the Hornady Lock N load without spilling powder and making a mess and jamming up the primer slide with powder.

Dillon has a 30 day no question ask return policy. I'm thinking of taking advantage of that.

Do you think I could do it in one stage on the XL650.  Hopefully it would be more stable than the Hornady.

38 minutes ago, CrashDodson said:

I had 300 or so in upgrades to my 1050, not including auto drive, before I sold it. 

About the same here. If you take the price of a 1050, add the price of a Mr BulletFeeder and the upgrades in the 1050 the price is within a few hundred dollars of an Evolution which comes with a Mr. BulletFeeder.

11 minutes ago, quiller said:

I had about the same as CrashDodson in my 650.

With the $300 in upgrades do you think I could do what I said in my reply to Bad shot? Reload in one stage?

Ps. The reason I'm upgrading is to cut my handle pulls in half. If I can do it on a 5 station press that's fine with me.  Then I won't really need 7 stations.

Edited by Norm37

@Norm37 I reloaded .40 S&W on a 650XL with a bullet and case feeder in one pass. It worked well until the cam on the case feeder interface quit working. To be honest for your purposes you probably do not need anything more than a 650XL. Plus they have a tech support line that you can keep calling ;) 

Norm37 all presses require an up and down stroke. I can't imagine anyone needs more than a 650 with case and bullet feeders. As tanks mentioned Dillon support is always availble and patient!