Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark7 Evolution

One solution for people talking about flex etc. due to sizing force on the brass is to roll size your brass to factory specs. Then, you will have minimal force. Also, I'd submit the forces from the bullet seating etc. most likely balance out the forces of the sizing anyway as in my case they are on opposite sides (I size at primer station). Of course, using lube like OneShot etc, is a given.

The other thing for people owning Pros and Revolutions is to decap and size in one pass and do the rest on another pass . One can run the machine at max capacity (3,500 RPH on the Revolution) for that without worrying about spilled powder or toppled bullets.. I do have another toolhead and I'd just switch toolheads (literally a few minutes) between passes. You don't even really need to do much of monitoring while doing brass processing, dry fire or do whatever you wish.

However, I think flex, if there is any for pistol rounds, is negligible. We are talking about high volume reloading not creating benchrest competition rounds. If your OAL is plus or minus a few thousands will it really matter? Heck, the bullets I am using (coated lead) aren't that precise in height.

Edited by tanks

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, jcwallace84 said:

...I plan on using one pass and case lube on the 9mm when I get the conversion...

I loaded 9mm for quite a while without using case lube.

Then a friend convinced to me to just give it a try. Wow, big difference.

No way for me to quantify but a wild assed guess would say at least 25% less effort. Maybe more.

Enough such that I much prefer to use lube at this point.

4 hours ago, jcwallace84 said:

Norm,  I appreciate it. I didn’t want miscommunication out there about this press on my behalf.

I also didn't want that to happen and feel bad about it.

With additional guide pin/rod or whatever it’s called, this thing would be rock solid! With 3 guides it’d be nuetronium solid! 

Rock solid will be great for me.

I know I said I would only lurk.  But felt I needed to respond as you mentioned my name.

Edited by Norm37

Any experiences on using Brass Juice case lube?

I've used Dillon case lube, but that leaves the ammo a bit sticky. And here we don't have One Shot spray available. Next gonna test Brass Juice...

Better than one shot imo. Lubricates just as well, but less sticky. Smells good and I think I use less of it. Dillons is overkill for pistol brass imo. Super sticky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard good things about Brass Juice and use it to clean brass in my cement mixer. The reason I still use One Shot is that it works, I still have a case of it and have no reason to change something that has worked for tens of thousands of brass I have loaded so far in progressive machines.

Anyone doing one pass rifle rounds on it yet? I am waiting on my 223 conversion kit which should be here soon.  

I am curious if if anyone is doing it all in one pass and if so how are you cleaning the lube off?

5 hours ago, tanks said:

Yes. All you have to do is to pull out the upper assembly with the hopper and tilt it into a container. Now, there will be some powder clinging to the hopper but can be cleaned off with a tissue. Now, this is for the automated powder measure and I am not sure whether the same ease of separating upper and lower assemblies exist for the manual powder measure. On the automatic one the upper assembly slides onto the lower assembly and there are no screws, bolts etc..

Thanks from the info tanks. Perhaps someone with a manual Evo will chime in with similar. Cheers

7 hours ago, tanks said:

Actually, if you follow the link you can have one of several community of 3-D printers print and mail it to you at a fairly reasonable price.

$66 dollars it not a reasonable price. Lol. 

2 minutes ago, Thetimb said:

$66 dollars it not a reasonable price. Lol. 

That depends on your priorities.  I've set up something functionally similar on all five of my STAR tools for less than $3 each, using a dollar store plastic funnel, piece of PVC water pipe, and a hose clamp.  That said, I've always admired the workshops and garages that some people have which look like they could be featured in Architectural Digest.  An extra $66 isn't unreasonable for one of those...

My own loading & casting areas aren't quite so pretty, as you can see here:

Loading&CastingSmall.jpg

23 minutes ago, CrashDodson said:

Does the Evo pro not come with a chute?  Do they make one?  I had one on my M7 X/1050.

The manual parts list:  4. Akro Offload Bin  It shows an oblong card board box that must be the bin???  No (chute) tube showing.  I don't have my Evo yet, not sure about the Evo Pro contents. 

Edited by Norm37

19 hours ago, itselataaja550 said:

I designed an ammo chute for the Mark 7. I heard it also works on Dillon 1050.

It's a 10x10cm square that shrinks into a 52.2mm circular tube that fits common vacuum cleaner hoses.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3142314

Awesome, I just ordered a printer last week this will come in handy.   Keep designing, Evo accessories!  :)

UPS guy can't get here quick enough today for my delivery!

1 hour ago, tanks said:

Additional toolhead and toolhead holder got delivered today. Toolhead holder is pretty solid with rubber feet on bottom. Note: The big guide rod on the back is hidden.

image.thumb.png.7143986c1befad9ee2e32c68e39293a4.png

That looks great. ?  I added both to my shopping cart on the Mark 7 web page.  My list is getting bigger.  Hope to receive my Evolution around Christmas.  Not sure how big my list will be by then.

Has anyone used the Hornady Lock N Load case activated powder measure on any the three Mark 7s?  If so please let me know how it works as I have one.

I plan on trying it as I need a total of three additional tool heads. I will be loading 380,  9mm,  10mm,  45acp.

All I need to do is put the Case Activated Powder Drop Lower Assembly $25.49 on each tool head and I can transfer the powder measure to anyone of the tool heads.

I know I am getting an expensive Press and now cheapening out on the powder measure.?

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00005050074/case-activated-powder-drop-lower-assembly

Ps. I also need some of these adjusted for each caliber.  Hornady Lock-N-Load Powder Measure Handgun Metering Assembly $9.99

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/631849/hornady-lock-n-load-powder-measure-handgun-metering-assembly

No need to adjust powder when changing calibers just use the appropriate meter that has already been adjusted.

Edited by Norm37
spelling

3 hours ago, Norm37 said:

.Has anyone used the Hornady Lock N Load case activated powder measure on any the three Mark 7s?  If so please let me know how it works as I have one.

If it is truly independent in the sense that it does not require to be attached anywhere else on the press other than the toolhead via a lower assembly die, then it should work. Both the manual and the automatic M7 powder measures are case activated via the lower assembly die.

2 hours ago, tanks said:

If it is truly independent in the sense that it does not require to be attached anywhere else on the press other than the toolhead via a lower assembly die, then it should work. Both the manual and the automatic M7 powder measures are case activated via the lower assembly die.

Yes that's how it works.  The complete powder measure system is just another die that I can install anywhere on the tool head on my Lock N load Press.

I have been doing two passes with my 5 station press. On the second pass the case has already been sized, primed and belled.  So  I put the powder measure in station (sizing  de-cap station) one.  Then RCBS powder lock out die, Minnie Mr. bullet Feeder, Hornady bullet seater, Lee Crimp Die.

?I will cut my handle pulls in half by only needing one pass on the Evolution.?

Thanks, Norm

Edited by Norm37

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:54 AM, quiller said:

Question for the Evolution owners but I suspect any Mk7 owners will be able to respond. We moved recently and I'm tight on reloading space.....actually its non existent at this point. I did however carve out a space in our storage garage where I could possible set up my Evo. The question is; is it possible to easily/quickly dump all the powder out of the powder hopper so I can store the powder in a heated space and not in the garage? Oiling up the machine is not an issue to prevent surface rust from forming but I don't think leaving the powder in the hopper in the garage is a good idea. The idea would be to crank out a few rounds, then clear the press until I need to repeat the process.......my reloading time is also limited. Cheers, Alan  

An unheated storage garage is really bad on metal parts, Especially if their is no vapor barrier under the concrete slab.  Even a heated one without a vapor barrier is bad on metal.

How about making it a routine to pull the handle three or four times on the Evolution every other day or maybe even daily to spread grease on all the parts?

Edited by Norm37

34 minutes ago, CrashDodson said:

Got it unboxed. There are a lot of parts. No parts list or documentation of any kind except for the bullet feeder. I registered on the site to get access to support. I assume that's where you get the manual.

Manual is there as well has seven pages of setup videos..   https://www.mark7community.com

On 10/7/2018 at 4:31 PM, quiller said:

Thanks from the info tanks. Perhaps someone with a manual Evo will chime in with similar. Cheers

The manual powder drop has a similar powder die and bolt attachment like a Dillon powder drop.

The evolution manual powder drop is as if a Dillon and a Hornady had a perfect machined tank powder drop baby.

The powder drop adjustment and lock are beautiful....

....After some frustrations with the powder measure (funnel/powder spillage mostly) I installed one of my Dillons with double return springs and it works fine. This is the same way I run them on my Dillon presses, double return springs and without the rod. Been doing that for decades.

Edited by RGA