Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark7 Evolution

@Norm37,

You will not be disappointed with your purchase, this machine is awesome.

The shell plate indexation is perfect, the priming system too, it is a very accurate and smooth machine, i really love it.

i have made 700 rounds tonight, it is fast and smooth, a real pleasure ?

i will never go back to a Dillon (i had a XL 650 before).

In addition of that, the mark 7 support is very very good, big thumbs up  ? to Jay, Dan, Misty and Michael from Mark 7, and Saul Kirsch from DAA ?

Edited by Laurent_FR

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, Laurent_FR said:

@Norm37,

You will not be disappointed with your purchase, this machine is awesome.

The shell plate indexation is perfect, the priming system too, it is a very accurate and smooth machine, i really love it.

i have made 700 rounds tonight, it is fast and smooth, a real pleasure ?

i will never go back to a Dillon (i had a XL 650 before).

In addition of that, the mark 7 support is very very good, big thumbs up  ? to Jay, Dan, Misty and Michael from Mark 7, and Saul Kirsch from DAA ?

I do want to upgrade from LNL to a 7 stage press.   I have also been thinking of the RCBS Pro Chucker 7 A lot cheaper and less expensive caliber conversions.

My Evolution order is 40 caliber converting to 45 ACP is quite spendy. 

Evolution Individual Parts Machine Conversions
View/Hide options

If you have a…: 40 S&W
and you want a…: 45 ACP Large Pistol
Evolution Caliber Conversion Kit: Pistol - $349.99 $349.99
Evolution Case Feeder Conversion Kit: Large Pistol - $99.95 $99.95
Evolution Primer Conversion Kits: Large Primer Conversion Kit - $69.95 $69.95
Evolution Bullet Feeder Conversions: Pistol .45 - $149.95 $149.95

Total  $669.84  +  UPS ground $16.04

Decisions decisions ???  The Evolution seems like a great press but with a very high price tag.

Edited by Norm37

23 minutes ago, Norm37 said:

I do want to upgrade from LNL to a 7 stage press.   I have also been thinking of the RCBS Pro Chucker 7 A lot cheaper and less expensive caliber conversions.

Decisions decisions ???  The Evolution seems like a great press but with a very high price tag.

23 minutes ago, Norm37 said:

Do more research first.  I've got a deposit on an Evo Pro; it will be a bit before I see it as mine is in .500 S&W, but I have talked at length with current users of the Evo and Evo Pro in standard calibers.  I am convinced you will be blown away by the machine.

JR

To any folks with the manual version of the Evo what, if anything, are you using for a powder check?

Does anyone have any info of when/if Mark 7 plans to offer an audible powder check alarm for the manual press (like the Dillon)?  I wonder if the sensor they currently offer can be wired to trigger an audible alarm. This guy here (YouTube link Low Powder Sensor ) has a very cool low powder sensor that he made and I wonder if something like this could be made for a powder check.

On 9/20/2018 at 9:45 AM, Norm37 said:

With all the positive feedback from users on this forum I will not cancel my order.

Thanks, Norm

It's a good product I just think they are overwhelmed. I have a support ticket that I opened on monday and havent heard anything back on.

I have had an issue with the press that they thought was just the cable from the motor to the control box but it appears its the actual connectors on the control box.

My press is dead in the water. 

37 minutes ago, SnowinOnRaton said:

To any folks with the manual version of the Evo what, if anything, are you using for a powder check?

When I receive my Evolution manual press I plan on using the RCBS lockout die which I already have.  It works great on my Hornady LNL It stops the press and I can not operate the press until I clear the under or over charged case. A tip, also remove the previously charged case as itmight be a little low on powder but not low enough to have caused the lockout die to work and stop the press. 

I am assuming the Lockout die will work the same with the manual Evolution Press.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/536792/rcbs-lock-out-die

Easy to set up.  Google. Setting up the RCBS lockout die, some good videos.

Edited by Norm37

1 hour ago, JohnFRoss said:

Snow, I think that question's been answered.  Go back through this thread.  I've got to leave the computer now or I'd find it for you.  Maybe tonight.

JR

Hi JR,

I read the entire thread so I must have missed it which is easy to do at 1:00am. ;o)  I saw some questions on the possibility of adapting the Dillon alarm to work but didn’t see a final answer. I’m new to reloading and wasn’t aware of the RCBS solution that Norm mentions. That looks like it will fit my needs until I can eventually upgrade to the Evo Pro. Thx for the reply.

4 hours ago, Norm37 said:

When I receive my Evolution manual press I plan on using the RCBS lockout die which I already have.  It works great on my Hornady LNL It stops the press and I can not operate the press until I clear the under or over charged case. A tip, also remove the previously charged case as itmight be a little low on powder but not low enough to have caused the lockout die to work and stop the press. 

I am assuming the Lockout die will work the same with the manual Evolution Press.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/536792/rcbs-lock-out-die

Easy to set up.  Google. Setting up the RCBS lockout die, some good videos.

The lock out die will work fine

5 hours ago, Norm37 said:

My Evolution order is 40 caliber converting to 45 ACP is quite spendy. 

Evolution Individual Parts Machine Conversions
View/Hide options

If you have a…: 40 S&W
and you want a…: 45 ACP Large Pistol
Evolution Caliber Conversion Kit: Pistol - $349.99 $349.99
Evolution Case Feeder Conversion Kit: Large Pistol - $99.95 $99.95
Evolution Primer Conversion Kits: Large Primer Conversion Kit - $69.95 $69.95
Evolution Bullet Feeder Conversions: Pistol .45 - $149.95 $149.95

Total  $669.84  +  UPS ground $16.04

I have seen some negative comments on the rcbs  pro chucker and how cheaply it’s made. The Evolution is worth the money. It comes down to, you get what you pay for.

2 hours ago, dfox said:

I have seen some negative comments on the rcbs  pro chucker and how cheaply it’s made. The Evolution is worth the money. It comes down to, you get what you pay for.

I agree!   I have thought of buying a good reloading press but I don't have $25,000 to $30,000  to pay for Camdex 2100.

So I am left with a choice of a consumer or pro consumer reloading press.

Ps.  Actually I am wanting to upgrade from a Hornady 5 station Lock N Load press.  A 7 station press will cut my handle pulls in half. 

I now Size and Deprime, Prime, bell.  Then run that brass through the press again.  Powder Drop. Powder Check, Bullet Drop (Minnie Mr. bullet feeder). Seat, Crimp and full size.  I also feed my cases by hand faster than fiddling with the Hornady case feeder.  So a working case feeder would be a plus.

I have not mentioned this before but have also thought about a Dillon 650 with a Mark 7 Auto drive.  I would still have to run the brass through the 650 twice but it would be auto, no pulling of a handle. I also understand the Dillon case feeder works fairly well.

I have two months to go back and forth on this.  I am the last one in line to receive a press on the DAA list.

Edited by Norm37

I also went from a LNL to a Dillion 650 so I could auto drive. The 650 with mark 7 auto drive did really well but the priming system gave me a lot of bent and smashed primers. You have to use cci primers to keep them from going off. The 650 priming system is not the best. I also bought 110.00 dollars worth after market parts to make the 650 run smoothly. If you set off a primer on a 650 the whole tube will go off. Not good. The priming system on the evolution works better than any I have had. The handle is a roller grip with bearings in it. Heavy duty. The spring that holds the brass on the evolution  works similar to the Lnl but the Dillion 650 will give you issues on the the case feed part because nothing holds the brass in place as it goes up and will misalign and jam. Stick to the mark 7 you will be happier.

36 minutes ago, dfox said:

I also went from a LNL to a Dillion 650 so I could auto drive. The 650 with mark 7 auto drive did really well but the priming system gave me a lot of bent and smashed primers. You have to use cci primers to keep them from going off. The 650 priming system is not the best. I also bought 110.00 dollars worth after market parts to make the 650 run smoothly. If you set off a primer on a 650 the whole tube will go off. Not good. The priming system on the evolution works better than any I have had. The handle is a roller grip with bearings in it. Heavy duty. The spring that holds the brass on the evolution  works similar to the Lnl but the Dillion 650 will give you issues on the the case feed part because nothing holds the brass in place as it goes up and will misalign and jam. Stick to the mark 7 you will be happier.

Thanks for the input.  I was hoping to hear from a 650 user.

Norm

Ps.  I am also thinking of getting the primer collator when it becomes available if I stick with my Evolution order.  I hate filling primer tubes.

Edited by Norm37

3 hours ago, Norm37 said:

Norm

Ps.  I am also thinking of getting the primer collator when it becomes available if I stick with my Evolution order.  I hate filling primer tubes.

Norm, I had a 650 and gladly swapped it for a 1911! Did not have a auto drive but did have my share of primer issues and all the other typical 650 shortcomings. I was grad to unload it after I placed my Evo order. Im not sure if I’ll auto the Evo but I do have a Dillon RF100 and once it’s running smoothly I don’t get flipped primers, it sure beats filling tubes. However, like you I may go for the collator as it seems like a sweet set up that just works. BTW no word from DAA since I posted here the other day. I guess DAA is waiting on a shipment from Mark 7. Speaking of which can anyone from Mark 7 give us an update on DAA next shipment? Cheers, Alan

1 hour ago, quiller said:

I guess DAA is waiting on a shipment from Mark 7. Speaking of which can anyone from Mark 7 give us an update on DAA next shipment? Cheers, Alan

This late in the year it seems Mark 7 should have filled all of their dealer orders.  I understand DAA placed their order at Shot Show in January???  It is a shame those that placed orders directly form Mark 7 might have to (should be first come first served) wait,  But it was their decision not to order from a dealer.

If I was a business (dealer) owner and a manufacture treated me like my orders didn't count I would be ticked off.  Mark 7 should not even have taken individual orders if they where going to go with dealers. Or at least wait until they had filled the dealer orders before they started taking individual orders.  Seems like a poor business decision to do both at the same time.

But then again they did not have to raise as much manufacturing capitol from outside sources.  They got a bunch of cash from individual preorders.

Back in the day, at least Microsoft when they kept touting Windows upgrades and kept postponing the release date.  They had not gotten consumer $$$ ahead of the release date.  You did not order the upgrade until it was available.

The touting was to keep your interest high.  Not to take your $$$.

Sorry for the rant Alan. 

You have been number 1 on the DAA wait list for over a month now.  I sure hope you receive your Evolution Press soon.  Such a slow process getting to number (exciting) 1 and now still waiting and waiting and waiting.

Norm  

Edited by Norm37

27 minutes ago, Norm37 said:

This late in the year it seems Mark 7 should have filled all of their dealer orders.  I understand DAA placed their order at Shot Show in January???  It is a shame those that placed orders directly form Mark 7 might have to (should be first come first served) wait,  But it was their decision not to order from a dealer.

If I was a business (dealer) owner and a manufacture treated me like my orders didn't count I would be ticked off.  Mark 7 should not even have taken individual orders if they where going to go with dealers. Or at least wait until they had filled the dealer orders before they started taking individual orders.  Seems like a poor business decision to do both at the same time.

But then again they did not have to raise as much manufacturing capitol from outside sources.  They got a bunch of cash from individual preorders.

Back in the day, at least Microsoft when they kept touting Windows upgrades and kept postponing the release date.  They had not gotten consumer $$$ ahead of the release date.  You did not order the upgrade until it was available.

The touting was to keep your interest high.  Not to take your $$$.

Norm  

If I remember correctly Microsoft pulled more crap with windows upgrades and forcing the consumer into using things in windows they did not want or need that I never thought they had anything to pay upfront for.?

6 hours ago, Norm37 said:

Norm

I am waiting on mine. Paid for it a while ago ;)

1 hour ago, Cragsman said:

I have my Evolution Pro on order in .223 caliber, I would appreciate any advice on what dies to use, I have Redding 223 Competition Neck Die set. Would this set work with the Evolution Pro or should I look at getting something else. Thank you.

Ed

I am curious if anyone is doing one pass reloading with 223 on the machine yet. 

Whats the die setup look like and what what are you doing with the lube on the rounds after?

3 hours ago, Cragsman said:

I have my Evolution Pro on order in .223 caliber, I would appreciate any advice on what dies to use, I have Redding 223 Competition Neck Die set. Would this set work with the Evolution Pro or should I look at getting something else. Thank you.

Ed

To Cragsman and Thetimb

jcwallace84 Posted: 7/6/2018 10:02:57 PM PDT on page three of the following forum link.  Showing a picture of the box on his porch, of his Evolution in .223

After that he shows a lot of pictures of his setup and explains his process for loading  .223

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Mark-7-Reloading-s-new-Evolution-Pro-press/42-488088/?page=3

Check out pages two and three for (all good reads) his posts.  You can also reply with any questions you have. 

jcwallace84  doesn't post that often so you might want to PM him after a couple of days if he has not responded to your queries.

Norm

Ps.   American Rifleman article.   .223 Remington Vs. 5.56: What's in a Name? 

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2013/3/4/223-remington-vs-556-whats-in-a-name/

2nd. Ps.  Even read the jcwallace84 posts that do not show pictures,  as they are also informative.

Edited by Norm37

13 hours ago, Norm37 said:

...Ps.  I am also thinking of getting the primer collator when it becomes available if I stick with my Evolution order.  I hate filling primer tubes.

If you are thinking of paying $2,495 for the collator I'd think upgrading to an Evolution Pro would be a better bang for the buck to start off with. 

1 minute ago, SnowinOnRaton said:

Wow! Is it really $2495 for a collator?!  Is that a typo? The site doesn’t list a price. 

Actually, I was a bit off by $4. The number is to convert the Brass Processor with the automatic priming system. I'd assume it would be the same for an Evolution or Evolution Pro.

https://www.markvii-loading.com/Brass-Processor-Upgrades_p_453.html

2 hours ago, tanks said:

If you are thinking of paying $2,495 for the collator I'd think upgrading to an Evolution Pro would be a better bang for the buck to start off with. 

That price seems more like the auto drive upgrade for the Evolution.    Maybe it was an older price???

Evolution PRO Upgrade View Detail [+$2,589.00] 

https://www.markvii-loading.com/Evolution-PRO-Upgrade-PLUS-SwageSense-digital-sensor_p_400.html This page shows an even different price. Your Price: $2,619.00

Mark 7 has had to many price changes.

The Primer Collator is a little under a $1000

I would rather have the (Primer Collator) than the Dillon RF 100 Lg. Primer Filler $344.95.  With the Dillon you would have to stop the press every 100 rounds and fill the primer tube.  But at least you would not have to use primer pickup tubes.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/dillon-rf-100-lg-primer-filler_8_116_23473.html

Edited by Norm37