Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching from 38SC to 9Major reloading question

dvc4you

Sooo I am switching to 9 Major, I will be using MG 121 JHP and 3N38 because I am a hoarder and have a lot of it. I know is a pita to load 9.5gr of 3N38 in a 9 mm case and is a compressed load (don’t care) . Question: do I need to use an undersize die in station 1 of my RL1050 to avoid the rounds from “growing “ over time? I am using the zip tie hack and the rotating locator buttons to eliminate powder spillage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In my experience my rounds grew even with a Udie. If I were going to try compressed loads again I would use something other than MG bullets as they tend to run about .3545 and are hard as a rock. 

I have never used an undersize die, but had to shorten my 9mm Major loads

from 1.175" down to 1.160", because I had bullets separating from the cases

and dumping powder into my STI TruBor.   115 gr MG JHP's

Unless you use brand new brass, I would think that it would be very helpful

to use an undersized die if you're going to load Way Out.  Don't know if it

will work, but I'd be surprised if it would work at all without the undersized die.

Just a suggestion.  I load ammo with 3n38 very long.  No issues with ammo growing.  If you're chamber has enough freebore, that might be another option to consider.

How long, do you mind sharing your recipe?

I will be shooting a 5 inch Infinity Hybrid barrel with (probably, to be determined) 2 holes and a Cheely Titanium 4 ports compensator.

9 hours ago, dvc4you said:

How long, do you mind sharing your recipe?

I will be shooting a 5 inch Infinity Hybrid barrel with (probably, to be determined) 2 holes and a Cheely Titanium 4 ports compensator.

9.1 grains, 3n38 with 125 grain Zero conical HP at 1.2" out of a 4.5" bbl with 4 small bbl holes gets me 170PF 

A different pistol with 4.5" bbl with no bbl holes is 171 PF. 

Loading that long reduces the initial pressure spike (even though 3n38 is one of the safest powders, it can't hurt) and with the compressed load, you don't have to worry about bullet set back.