Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice for a spectator

xtian999

Bring your gun  ....  ;)

If you mention to the MD that you've NEVER shot a match, they'll most likely

invite you , for the regal sum of $10 or $20, to shoot the match and assign

you to shoot with them.   They'll walk you thru it, and mentor you, all the way    :) 

Otherwise, bring eye/ear protection (thanks HI5-0), plus a chair, umbrella,

weather appropriate gear, food/beverage.

Stay out of everyone's way - don't talk to shooters who are about to shoot -

pitch in and tape/paste after being told how/when to tape/paste, and stick

around to break down the stages (put the props back into storage).

You'll be rewarded by making friends, learning a great deal, and might get

to shoot different types of guns by shooters who LOVE to help out new

shooters.

And, if you're a very pretty, young woman, you'll probably receive at least

2 marriage proposals from elderly gentlemen.      :wub:      :D

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Bring your gun  ....  ;)

If you mention to the MD that you've NEVER shot a match, they'll most likely

invite you , for the regal sum of $10 or $20, to shoot the match and assign

you to shoot with them.   They'll walk you thru it, and mentor you, all the way    :) 

Otherwise, bring eye/ear protection (thanks HI5-0), plus a chair, umbrella,

weather appropriate gear, food/beverage.

Stay out of everyone's way - don't talk to shooters who are about to shoot -

pitch in and tape/paste after being told how/when to tape/paste, and stick

around to break down the stages (put the props back into storage).

You'll be rewarded by making friends, learning a great deal, and might get

to shoot different types of guns by shooters who LOVE to help out new

shooters.

And, if you're a very pretty, young woman, you'll probably receive at least

2 marriage proposals from elderly gentlemen.      :wub:      :D

Don't forget ammo.  A lot of shooters carry extra equipment and they will gladly let you borrow their equipment.

Ok. Thank you for the replies. I’ll warn any attractive, unattached women I know to watch out for anyone who smells like cordite. Lol. Going to watch the X-treme Texas match the day after my Defensive 1&2 class in Georgetown (Calvin Tidwell’s class.)  

This doesn’t apply to folks in Texas, but if only spectating “behind enemy lines” then please be extra understanding when watching people you don’t know, especially if you want to film or photograph.  Until you’re known, I’d strongly recommend keeping your phone in your pocket. The best thing would be sticking with a friend who can introduce you to folks, and if you don’t know anybody then politely introduce yourself to someone and see if you can buddy with them.  As an active 2A proponent in Kalifornia, I am thrilled to bring new shooters into the sport, but I also really don’t like mystery non-shooters randomly following me around.  Since I’m one of the local GM’s I get this a lot, and I accommodate as best I can, but even though I am 100% Kali legal it honestly raises my blood pressure until I can feel confident that this stranger is one of us.    

Edited by jkrispies

13 hours ago, xtian999 said:

want to see pros in action and learn a few things before getting into it. 

IMHO, a beginner would learn a LOT more useable information from

watching a non-Pro.

Some idiot 73 year old, B shooter will show you how NOT to shoot

a match, better than watching some 12 year old, showoff kid with

lightning fast reflexes and uncanny capabilities.

But, that's just my opinion ...   enjoy   :) 

And, bring your gun ...  be much more fun to actually shoot the match    :) 

Get there early. Like the guys above said, don't crowd anyone but this will give you some time to ease around and see the stages before shooting starts. Also listen in on the shooters meeting. If they have a " new shooters" meeting definitely listen in on that. They will review all the do's & don'ts and give you a good idea of what to expect. 

You can learn a lot by spectating at a match but in the end only one way to get your feet wet. Everyone had a first match. 

7 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Some idiot 73 year old, B shooter will show you how NOT to shoot

a match, better than watching some 12 year old, showoff kid with

lightning fast reflexes and uncanny capabilities.

Been beat by a 12 year old before?

On 3/20/2018 at 3:13 PM, jkrispies said:

This doesn’t apply to folks in Texas, but if only spectating “behind enemy lines” then please be extra understanding when watching people you don’t know, especially if you want to film or photograph.  Until you’re known, I’d strongly recommend keeping your phone in your pocket. The best thing would be sticking with a friend who can introduce you to folks, and if you don’t know anybody then politely introduce yourself to someone and see if you can buddy with them.  As an active 2A proponent in Kalifornia, I am thrilled to bring new shooters into the sport, but I also really don’t like mystery non-shooters randomly following me around.  Since I’m one of the local GM’s I get this a lot, and I accommodate as best I can, but even though I am 100% Kali legal it honestly raises my blood pressure until I can feel confident that this stranger is one of us.    

Spoken like a person who is a resident of a state that doesn't like them.  I like how tactful you were, very well put.  

46 minutes ago, StuckinMS said:

Spoken like a person who is a resident of a state that doesn't like them.  I like how tactful you were, very well put.  

Same can be said almost anywhere. I have known a few shooters in the past who made it known they didn’t want to be in any videos period due to their work.

We have spectators all the time at our IDPA matches if I can and I’m not RO’ing I try go to over and talk to them and bring them in. Ask if they have questions and see about getting them involved. Shooters are almost always nice and willing to chat, answer questions, or involve new people. The biggest thing is to be safe and follow instructions