Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Magwell

jwilkinson6

1 hour ago, Bkreutz said:

I have both the ESP and Limited magwells (both SSS) they are about 3-4 years old. They both work with TT 140's without any material removal. I'm actually going to be putting them in the classifieds when I get around to it, probably this week sometime. My wife is using an M&P in Carry Optics so no magwells allowed.

Something must've changed. Mine is two years old also works fine.

They don't offer brass or steel anymore and the ad says they will require material removal for use with TTI extensions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 7 months later...
On 8/19/2018 at 8:30 PM, Beef15 said:

Something must've changed. Mine is two years old also works fine.

They don't offer brass or steel anymore and the ad says they will require material removal for use with TTI extensions.

Has anyone been able to confirm if material has to be removed to work with the TTI extensions with the latest SSS magwell version?

If so is there any other magwell people recommend?

Are they new TTI basepads? I have a SSS magwell on my 2.0, and it fits perfectly with the old TTI (approx. 2 years old), but the ones I got about 8 months ago had a smaller “lip” that required some shaving of both the magwell and the baseplate. 

5 hours ago, BelRiose said:

Are they new TTI basepads? I have a SSS magwell on my 2.0, and it fits perfectly with the old TTI (approx. 2 years old), but the ones I got about 8 months ago had a smaller “lip” that required some shaving of both the magwell and the baseplate. 

Yes they are new. Bought about 5 months ago. Are there any that don't require material removal?

None of the ones from the newest batch of TTI basepads that I received fit without a little belt sander/dremel work. I can’t say whether TTI or SSS has updated their specs again since I got those parts.

Edited by BelRiose

On 4/4/2019 at 8:17 AM, BelRiose said:

None of the ones from the newest batch of TTI basepads that I received fit without a little belt sander/dremel work. I can’t say whether TTI or SSS has updated their specs again since I got those parts.

Would you mind posting a pic of how much material needs to be removed and maybe where they interfere? Thanks for the responses!

Magwell.jpg.bf18bd8c4d70d0cb1b463cd9c48d5af6.jpg1348757656_Magazinecomparison1.jpg.1e35a16c5f2e1e99c004e6dde7f8acaf.jpg2002894479_MagazineComparison3.jpg.e3decfd4056675ab20ffa7e1c004efc9.jpg

My apologies for the dirty gun and poor image quality. 

The TTI extension with the silver lip is one of the newer ones, which required quite a bit of sanding to fit. The magwell also required some sanding/filing. It's not quite as clear where as on the magazine because I repainted it afterwards, but you can see where that has started to wear off. I was a little worried about removing too much material from the magwell, so it's a still a tight fit with all the basepads.

Rereading the SSS website, it does state,

"Requires the use of a thicker-than-stock base pad.  Our magwells are designed around the Taylor Freelance, and the Springer Precision base pads and magazine extensions.

WILL REQUIRE SIGNIFICANT FITTING TO WORK WITH THE TARAN TACTICAL (TTI) magazine extensions that will remove much of the finish on the inside of the magwell.

The factory full size or compact base pads or Arredondo extensions will not work with this magwell."

As a side note, maybe it's just the angle, but one of the pictures of the ESP (the blue 2.0 version) looks totally different than the other colors to me.

14 hours ago, BelRiose said:

Magwell.jpg.bf18bd8c4d70d0cb1b463cd9c48d5af6.jpg1348757656_Magazinecomparison1.jpg.1e35a16c5f2e1e99c004e6dde7f8acaf.jpg2002894479_MagazineComparison3.jpg.e3decfd4056675ab20ffa7e1c004efc9.jpg

My apologies for the dirty gun and poor image quality. 

The TTI extension with the silver lip is one of the newer ones, which required quite a bit of sanding to fit. The magwell also required some sanding/filing. It's not quite as clear where as on the magazine because I repainted it afterwards, but you can see where that has started to wear off. I was a little worried about removing too much material from the magwell, so it's a still a tight fit with all the basepads.

Thank you so much for the pictures!!! Those are great. I can't believe TTI doesn't make a magwell that works with their basepads or are at least compatible with the magwell that exists.

Anyway, Looks like I will just have to wait on the magwell and hope that someone makes a one that works with TTI. Kinda wish I had gotten the Taylor Freelance extensions now but too late at this point.

I did see that on the SSS website. That's why I was so concerned about buying it and then not fitting.

On 5/27/2018 at 12:53 PM, fxdc said:

Warrenz 

So I have this right....

The SJC BRASS M&P magwell will take the TF mag extensions. 

I have the 5 and 10  extendtions for my open gen 1 Core.

STEVE at sjc couldn't answer the question... which I thought was odd.

It has an SSS aluminum one on it now.

Thanks

20180429_172948.jpg

I have never considered to set up a M&P for open but seeing yours makes me really want to take my Pro Core Gen1 and make it a 9mm major.  I normally do not like the look of the add on for open but your open gun looks great.  

I like how low that 90° mount gets you cmore.  Did you tighten the slide to frame fit given the frame mount? 

Not to hijack this thread further so...

Do you have a thread link where you go into the specs etc on your build?

• 2 weeks later...
Do you have a picture showing the differences between new and old m&p basepads?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, leogearguide said:

Do you have a picture showing the differences between new and old m&p basepads?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Other than the one I posted above, which is obviously from after I did some sanding on the newer mag, no. Sorry about that. 

• 11 months later...

I just purchased some TTI base pads and wanted to get a compatible magwell for my M&P 9 2.0 5".  I got the SSS limited from Taylor Freelance and I am not impressed. As shown in the pics above, there is a ton of exposed plastic still, in the most vulnerable place for mag snags.  Does anyone have pics of the SSS ESP installed? I've been hearing great things about the Floyd's Custom magwells but they say they're not compatible with the new TTI base pads.  Does anyone know what changed with the TTI base pads or what might need to be shaved to make the two compatible? Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 5/31/2018 at 6:42 PM, fxdc said:

The SJC.

20180531_150637.jpg

I should've peeked into this thread when I was choosing my magwell. I went with the Carver Custom, and it's fine, but it's aluminum, and my M&P is only weighting in at about 33 oz, even with a tungsten guide rod. This would easily get it closer to the 40 oz. I was shooting for. Oh well, I'll keep it in mind for a future build.

• 4 months later...
On 4/16/2020 at 6:20 PM, fstbandit said:

I use the Carver Custom one on my Limited gun and it has taken a beating and fits great

I am going to try one with the brass mag extensions/springs on my 2.0