Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2018 Goals Revisited

stick

Now that the first quarter of 2018 is almost over, I thought it would be a good time to reflect back on the goals that everyone set out to achieve for 2018.  

Here's the link from the original post (if you need to see what you wrote)  http://forums.brianenos.com/topic/257296-2018-goals/

Here's what I posted:

1.  Set up a weekly dry fire schedule instead of just winging it.

2.  Live fire once a week

3.  Some sort of match 2-4 times a month dependent on work.

4.  Better stage planning

5.  reflect on the match and re-work dry fire plan to improve deficiencies.

6.  Make "A" class in PCC

Here's what I've done so far:

1.  Setup a weekly dry fire routine and created a diary entry to log my progress.

2.  This one has been hit or miss

3.  I've been shooting 2-4 times a month (Mostly Steel Challenge Matches)

4.  Working on better stage planning

5.  I've been logging journal entries daily after I complete my dry fire activities

6.  Went from B in steel challenge to Master

*on a side note I've went from "B" to Master in steel challenge.  I anticipate making GM by the end of the year.  I have completed 68 training sessions from the beginning of the year  How have you done?

I have kept up with my practice log daily. Continually dry firing every day, I may have missed 4 dry fire sessions this year due to work and long days. So far I have made A class in Carry Optics and hope to finish the year in Master.

Here were my goals from the original thread:

1-Create a dry fire schedule, then meet or exceed the scheduled amount of practice. 

2-Create a fitness/workout plan, then meet or exceed the plan. 

3-Attend my first major match. Probably will be either the Buckeye Blast or Battle in the Bluegrass

4-Start ROing at matches. I did the class this year but haven’t taken the step of ROing much at matches. 

5-(Maybe) Take a class of some sort. I live only 2ish hours away from Steve Anderson’s home range, so that’s the direction I’m leaning IF I go for a competition-specific class. I might do a more general handgun class instead, since I have basically no formal training on the actual fundamentals of pistol shooting. I also may put this off another year due to cost. 

6-Read Practical Pistol Reloaded, Dry Fire Training Reloaded, With Winning in Mind, and Get to Work. Reread Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundamentals. Apply what I learn to my training and shooting. 

7-I’d like to make at least B class this year, and try for IDPA Expert or higher. 

Here’s my progress on each goal:

1- I set out to dry fire 3 weekdays for 15+ mins each time and either dry fire 1 weekend day for 30+ mins or do live fire practice or a match. So far I’ve mostly met my schedule, although not as well as I’d like. As a result, I am improving, but not as fast as I hoped. 

2- I have made no progress on this goal. 

3- I am signed up to attend both Battle in the Bluegrass and the Buckeye Blast, as well as the Ohio State 3-Gun Championship. 3 Gun isn’t my focus, but it’s only an hour away so it was a no brainer. 

4- I have RO’d some at 2 matches so far this year. I’ve also only attended 2 USPSA matches so far, plus some Monday night outlaw USPSA-ish matches. 

5- I will probably defer this to next year due to cost. 

6- Have read all except Dry Fire Reloaded. I’m currently about halfway through it. Still need to reread Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundamentals. Will probably make this something I do at least every 6-12 months since it helps motivate and refocus me. 

7- Currently classified as C in Production. I shot Single Stack last year, so this is a god start. I’m going to switch to Carry Optics in April and plan to push either that or Production to B class.   

Here is where I started:

GM in Limited, GM in Open.  (don't really care how I get there, because I consider my match performances more important than my class)

Top 10 at Multigun Nationals

Top 25 at whichever Handgun Nationals I end up shooting.

Doing that by doing more dry-firing sessions. (shooting for 15 min/day)  I have found that short, focused sessions are easier to stick with.  I am over doing 45-60 minutes like I used to do. Also lifting/exercising intensely for 6 days a week

GM in Limited: Check

GM in Open:  On the way, don't get to shoot enough, and I am currently in Tac-ops mode so the blaster is in the safe. 

Top 10 at Mg Nats:  Well, I have been listening to lots of wise folks and reading Lanny Bashamm, and they are all saying focus on the process vs. the results.  So I want to change this goal to SHOOT FREAKING AWESOME at MG Nats.  I feel very confident in my shooting ability right now, and am positive I see significant improvements over my past 23rd and 25th place finishes.  My training sessions are focused and deliberate:  offhand plate racks, shotgun load 4's, weapon transitions, etc.

Top 25 at Handgun Nationals:  I am switching this to SHOOT FREAKING AWESOME at Open Nationals.  I am very confident that with my training regime I will be a top placer, and Top 15 is very doable.

As for dry-fire sessions, I am doing probably 5 times a week, and they average 15-45 minutes, so I am doing well there.  I spend another hour or two listening to podcasts, studying match videos, and have significantly increased my focus on mental preparation.  Thinking about winning, executing perfect reps, and visualizing stages.

The fitness element is going the best.  I have probably taken 5-ish days off this entire year so far.  I feel strong, agile, quick, healthy.  My gains in deadlifting has plateau'd so I'm taking a few weeks off from that and going to switch up training when I return.  I am focusing a little more on cardio and explosiveness in preparation for major match season, which hasn't started for me yet.  I have lost 7 pounds since the beginning of the year, even though that was never a goal, I guess I just had that much excess fat lying around. 1K club still seems a ways off, but I did hit 300 on bench, my squats feel good (probably could hit 340), but my deadlifts haven't moved (315)

It still a bit too early in the season for me to have moved up in class. I have started my dry-fire routine and have stuck with it but I need to spend some time making up a program that makes sense. My desire to reach my goals for the year is high and I'm confident I will do it. So far so good.

so far, it seems a lot of shooters have stuck to their plan.  It will be interesting to what the outcomes are at the end of the year.

I will probably have a poll of some sort later in the year to check on everyone's progress.

I said:

Started in November of 2017 with a new plan so not quite a New Year resolution. C shooter.

Dry fire twice a day in 30 minute or so blocks 5 days a week. (Stoeger's Dry Fire reloaded training plans).

Range time once a week.

Private training 4 hours at a time with a local GM at least twice a month.

Match once a week. Be more aggressive in matches.

On track so far. I can already tell the improvements in local matches.

This upcoming weekend I'm going to shoot in a local (steel) match that is outside of my usual stomping grounds. Looking over the squads there really aren't any names of shooters that I know well, just a few that have names I've heard of. I wanted to shoot a match where I know no-one. I would like to accomplish several things.

1. swing for the fences, hold nothing back. I want to see where my dryfire practice is helping and/or needs refinement.

2. shoot 2 divisions (one iron the other optic, same model gun). I have never done this before.

3. put my positive mental game face on.

This match is being held at the club I belonged to when I was a kid, shooting as a Jr. smallbore rifle. I haven't been there in roughly 40 years. Basically I grew up at this range. Times have changed so I'm not expecting to know the place but should be nostalgic anyway.  

The main thing is this will give me an opportunity to see where I'm at as the actual competition season starts in earnest two week later. I want to put my best foot forward so this hopefully will act as an idea test bed for flushing out the areas most in need of work. The little bit of live fire and competitions I have managed over the winter are giving me a feeling of optimism.

• 1 month later...

Orignal:

1. Dry fire 30 mins a day 5 days a week

2. Live fire 6 times a month

3. 2 second 4 aces

4. 3 second 25 yard bill drill

5. 1.6 second bill drill

6. Eat and drink better

7. Start working out 3 times a week

So far:

1: Failing doing 2-3 a week

2: exceeding getting to the range 8-12 times a month (why dry fire is suffering)

3 Close 2.03

4. Hit it a couple weeks ago with a 2.8ish

5. Havent gotten that close 1.7ish

6. Some weeks I am doing good 

7. Started out good but haven't been to the gym in 2 weeks

Going to get back on the dry fire schedule. And start working out at home instead of the gym. Also going to ditch the soda and try to limit eating out during the week. So far this year I also hit a goal I didn't write down. I made GM a couple weeks ago.

Edited by Foxj66

On 3/21/2018 at 9:06 AM, DKorn said:

Here were my goals from the original thread:

1-Create a dry fire schedule, then meet or exceed the scheduled amount of practice. 

2-Create a fitness/workout plan, then meet or exceed the plan. 

3-Attend my first major match. Probably will be either the Buckeye Blast or Battle in the Bluegrass

4-Start ROing at matches. I did the class this year but haven’t taken the step of ROing much at matches. 

5-(Maybe) Take a class of some sort. I live only 2ish hours away from Steve Anderson’s home range, so that’s the direction I’m leaning IF I go for a competition-specific class. I might do a more general handgun class instead, since I have basically no formal training on the actual fundamentals of pistol shooting. I also may put this off another year due to cost. 

6-Read Practical Pistol Reloaded, Dry Fire Training Reloaded, With Winning in Mind, and Get to Work. Reread Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundamentals. Apply what I learn to my training and shooting. 

7-I’d like to make at least B class this year, and try for IDPA Expert or higher. 

Here’s another progress update:

1 - Was doing really well on consistently dry firing for a while, but haven’t done much in the last 2 weeks. I changed jobs two weeks ago, and I’ve let the change in schedule throw me off of my regular practice schedule. 

2 - No progress yet. Was feeling pretty motivated to start the other day, but didn’t want to make a major change 2 weeks out from a major match due to risk of injury, or even just soreness, affecting me at the match. Plan to start running and doing body weight exercises, possibly with the exercises combined with or right after dry fire sessions. 

3 - Attended Battle in the Bluegrass and the Ohio State 3-Gun Chanpionship. Will be attending Buckeye Blast next week. 

4 - RO’d for Battle in the Bluegrass, and will be working as an RO at Buckeye Blast. Have also been RO’ing at local matches when I can. 

5 - Put off till next year. 

6 - Done, but will continue to revisit every so often. 

7 - Have shot 1 B class classifier in Production. Switched to Carry Optics, and shot a 46% on my first classifier in CO. 

One goal I set for this year was to reach A class in the Single Stack division in Steel Challenge.  I have made some progress toward that and still might make it by year's end.  Other than that, my goals are to average one match per week, keep up the dry fire, and keep finding ways to improve in any area of match shooting that I can.

Hey! Great idea to revisit.

So I'm one classifier away from B class (as long as I get a 64% or higher).

Instituted dry fire daily working in different aspects and everyday hitting my reloads because it's a weak point of mine.

Live firing weekly but only able to once a week right now

Back in the gym strength conditioning and working on my grip.

Everyone should check out the 'shoot fast podcast'. I've gleaned a lot of solid insight from it and strongly recommend it.

I Will be attending two sectional matches which is higher than my original goal and I'm really psyched to go!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Resulting in B class by May, two year anniversary of my competition start.

I was close but no cigar as I fell one classifier short. I will make B class as long as I score 57% or greater in the next classifier I shoot. Next classifier match is on 23rd of June. We'll see.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2018 at 2:53 PM, tanks said:

I was close but no cigar as I fell one classifier short. I will make B class as long as I score 57% or greater in the next classifier I shoot. Next classifier match is on 23rd of June. We'll see.

Shot over 60+% on Nuevo Presidente. Will be "B" class after next Tuesday. 

• 3 weeks later...

In OSR I'm at 72 percent SCSA so I need about 5.5 seconds to make A. I'm shooting an 8 stage match this weekend so I plan on making some headway. This week my dry fire will focus on my 3 worse stages based on peak times. Those are Speed Option, Roundabout and 5 to go. I'm also going to put in a lot of time practicing smoke and hope to get it as fast as possible. 

So, this week a lot of dryfire and a focus on specific things. My original plan for the year was to make A in both OSR and ISR. In my mind the most urgent is OSR I would like that as soon as possible and absolutely before the end of August. Once I make A in OSR then I will put in the more time with ISR. But in OSR I want to be able to shoot in the low 130s in an 8 stage match by September. That is the priority.

OK. Two things. First, I've decided that I want to achieve Master in OSR sometime next year. Second is I want to shoot both USPSA Revo and ICORE Limited next year. This is why I'm shooting ISR this year, if it were not for that I would add a rimfire gun to my Steel Challenge game. ISR is basically to get me using iron sights. Once I achieve A in OSR I'm going to start a rage diary. I have to say overall I'm pleased on my progress. For about 2 years I fiddled around and made very little progress. I started dry fire last year and it helped but more seriousness business this year which is have a positive effect and just makes the day more enjoyable.

Edited by firewood

• 2 weeks later...

0.70 draw and first shot with new gun. 

Can do that somewhat consistently have maybe 1 in 10 that I mess it up or something

- 0.15 A zone splits

Dumb goal, learned to see what I need to and get the shots as quickly as the gun will allow

- A Class by June

haha I had pretty high expectations and then the new high hit factors haven't helped but I am a Mid B class now, so I'm closing in!

- 30 minute dry fire every day

Pretty much do this usually ends up being 5 days a week with life getting in the way

- Live fire at least once a month besides matches

I've been doing really well in this regard and actually am getting in several times a month

- Improving my stage plans and executing them.

This is a goal that is continually improving in. It has been where I am losing spots the most.

- at least one level 1 match a month.

Been doing this one somewhat regularly, life again gets in the way on occasion but I've been pretty good and I just shot my first level 2 match last weekend and came out not to bad in the standings, 22nd out of 80. I will take for my first go around.

• 2 weeks later...

3 weeks since my last post. I have picked up 2 seconds in Steel Challenge OSR so I'm at 73%. I have a little contest with another shooter that I compete with on a regular basis to see which one of us makes A first. My competition has a slight advantage over me in that She needs 2.5 seconds while I need 3.6 seconds.

Sunday 8/5/18 I have a chance to close the gap, I'm shooting a 6 stage SCSA match. Between now and then I'm putting top priority in dry fire Showdown, The Pendulum and Roundabout. Secondary concern is Speed Option which remains my worse stage and thus contains the most potential for picking up my scores. However that stage is not in this weeks match but will be in the following week (week of 8/6/18). As of today I have 3 SCSA matches on the docket for  August.