Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Palm Swell or Medium/Large grips

newmexk5

I did a bit of searching and could only find the polymer Patriot Defense palm swell grips.  Does anyone know of another manufacturer that makes a similar grip for a Stock 2?  I would like a palm swell grip, but a medium or thick grip would work as well.  Does anyone have any comparison as to the thickness of the LOK G10 grips vs. the stock wood grips?

New to Tanfoglios, so bear with me and thanks for the help.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PD has the only palmswell on the market. Loks are a good bit thinner than the factory wood; 1.184” for Lok vs. 1.371” factory.

I prefer the Wood grips over anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get Omega wood grips from http://czgrips.us that have a palm swell.  The optional stippling makes for a non-slip grip.  The order form is very detailed and the grips are configured to work for you; I wear size XL gloves and the grips fir well - the stock wood grips were way too thin..  Even better, he has a stock of exotic hardwoods that you can select from; I have Omega grips in Brazilian and Bolivian rosewood.  You can have them pre-finished (varnish) or get them unfinished; I chose the latter because I like a hand-rubbed oil finish.

Edited by Ronemus

19 hours ago, newmexk5 said:

Thanks for the reply.  I might sand down the wood and epoxy/SiC them.

I tried the PD palm swell grips this weekend on another gun. I had the stock wood grips that I did a glue n grit on them. I prefer the stock grips. Its more comfy to me. I had a bad case the other week and ended up blowing the wood grips off of my gun so I bought the resin replica grips off Ebay and did a glue and grit on those also. They are working just as good. 

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I picked up a smooth set of Henning grips and going to grip tape them. Also going to epoxy the wood grips and then compare.

1 hour ago, newmexk5 said:

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I picked up a smooth set of Henning grips and going to grip tape them. Also going to epoxy the wood grips and then compare.

It totally depends on hand size vs frame size and of course personal feel.  For me the Henning contour grips fit by far the best of any Tanfo grips.  No grip tape or liquid grip needed.  They are thinner than the standard wooden ones but extremely grippy.

On 3/20/2018 at 6:29 AM, goshimu said:

Henning are awesome I wish they made for Small frame.

As long as you want the second thinnest grip option out there - they’re almost as thin as Grauffel’s grips.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

9 hours ago, TravisNC said:

SSI 2.0 grips are similar to wood grips.  LOK grips are THIN. 

Scales 2.0s are extraordinarily thin up top, and only widen to (still thinner) than the wood grips near their base.

If the wood grips are too fat for you, but not massively so, they’re a great option.

5 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

As long as you want the second thinnest grip option out there - they’re almost as thin as Grauffel’s grips.

Having some customs made atm with silicon carbide that are thick. Have EGD atm and want something more filling.

14 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Scales 2.0s are extraordinarily thin up top, and only widen to (still thinner) than the wood grips near their base.

If the wood grips are too fat for you, but not massively so, they’re a great option.

That's what irritated me about those. Love them, until you get up top and they thin out, which is right where all the grip pressure needs to be!

I ended up covering my stockers with grip tape. Meh. Works but I wish LOK would get to doing some thicker ones! He said he probably will at some point.

Edited by NoKimberDave
spelling

• 4 months later...

I really think Hennings full texture are the best grips for the Stock 2.  I know a ton of people like the PD's but for me they were too thin up top with XXL hands. 

But everyone's hands are different. 

On 3/22/2018 at 4:06 PM, NoKimberDave said:

That's what irritated me about those. Love them, until you get up top and they thin out, which is right where all the grip pressure needs to be!

I ended up covering my stockers with grip tape. Meh. Works but I wish LOK would get to doing some thicker ones! He said he probably will at some point.

I ordered some LOK's, after seeing a post by them on instagram that you can order them "fat" and they would be wider.

They sure don't feel much wider. I had them make thick bogies for my TSO and they are really great. But disapointed in these "fat" grips for Tanfo. Still very thin. Bummer to dump that cash and get thin grips. Meh. They do look gorgeous and the quality is great.

A million thin options and almost no thick options. Just want thicker FLAT grips. The palmswells are thick but for me the swell portion is way too low. Sorry to whine. 

IMG_3204.JPG

IMG_3214.JPG

A palmswell grip similar to the one LOK makes for the shadow 2 would be perfect for me, but they don’t offer it for Tanfo yet.

The PD palmswell is a little large but using that currently with an oversized mag button and it works.

22 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

@NoKimberDave can you put a caliper on those grips? I'm curious as to how much wider overall the grip is compared to standard LOK's and Hennings.

Gun not in front of me but off the top of my head: 1.18

Scale thickness is .17"

But it looks like they just sent thins. Two of us ordered these based on an Instagram post LOK made saying if we want thicker to just put "FAT" in description on order. So, I put "FAT, Cut for magwell". And I know they saw it because it was cut for magwell.

Another fella who ordered similar to me, and was also disappointed, called and they then said "We don't make a thicker grip yet".

So apparently they ignored the "fat" in description and sent thin ones. A bit annoying as the wait was long and the expense was high (94$ + shipping). Maybe they have somebody doing their social media that doesn't understand the product? I don't know but these are useless to me and now I have to deal with getting them returned and finding something else.

My 4th order from LOK. They've been good in the past so I know they will make good, but a bit of a time waster and I can't quite get my head around why they didn't just give me a quick call or email to save us both a lot of time? Everyone makes mistakes I guess.

Thickness matches the "thin" as listed on their site, that's a bummer. I've tried 3 or 4 different grip profiles for Tanfo, so far factory are the best fit.

I emailed LOK a few weeks ago about palm swells, was told they are coming soon. But they've said that for a while.

21 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

Thickness matches the "thin" as listed on their site, that's a bummer. I've tried 3 or 4 different grip profiles for Tanfo, so far factory are the best fit.

I emailed LOK a few weeks ago about palm swells, was told they are coming soon. But they've said that for a while.

Yep. Bummer indeed.

I too have had best luck with stock that I covered in grip tape. Going to major made wider grips a necessity to me.

I had to chime in here...I'd be surprised if anyone has hassled Jay over at LOK more than i have in regards to getting some palm swell grips done for the Tanfo Stock 2. I'm actually surprised he hasn't banned me from his email list haha!

Start at the bottom if you care to read through - Ive been consistently pestering him about this since March...i really hope what he is alluding to in his last email come true.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 6:45 AM
To: Chase
Subject: Re: Tanfo palm swells...

Hi Chase

We currently make a thin grip for the large frame stock 2/3.  We are working on thin grips and palm swell for the small frame.  We are also working on palm swell grips for the large frame ?

Hope to have everything ready in 2-3 weeks, or at least have prototypes ready by then.  We will definitely be posting on IG when we have them ready. 

Thanks and have a good weekend,

Jayson

LOKGrips

Jayson Dekmar

Founder & CEO

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 7:26 PM, Chase wrote:

Hey Jayson,

I was stalking your Instagram as I always do and happened to catch wind of you mentioning that you are in or near production on palm swell grips for the Tanfoglio Stock 2…However when I saw that it was mentioned to be intended for “small frame” Stock 2’s and I about lost my s#!t…

Please say it isn’t so…Please tell me your making both large and small frame palm swells for the stock 2…please...

-Chase

Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 2:09 PM

Hi Chase

Unfortunately, we use that screw hole during the manufacturing process, so it needs to be there for us to make the grips.  Good thought though!

Let me know if there is anything else I can do. 

Thansk

Jayson Dekmar

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 6:07 PM, Chase wrote:

Hey Jayson – it’s your favorite pain in the neck customer J!(please don’t be mad)

It just occurred to me there may be a way to solve my obsession with getting some LOK Palm Swells for my tanfo stock 2…

Can you do a set of CZ palm swell grips without the grip screw holes? (that way I could shave the material as outlined below and copy my current LOK grip pattern and drill them myself. (with me assuming full responsibility if it doesn’t work or line up)

I’m not sure if the grip mold already has the holes as part of it but I thought I might try and at least ask…

Let me know what you think – thanks bud.

-Chase

Sent: Monday, April 16, 2018 8:28 AM

Hi Chase

We had to stop working on new products for a while to get caught up on order.  These small frame Tanfo grips are at the top of the list of things to do once we get caught up.  Right now, you will need to modify a set of S2 grips yourself to make them work. I'm going to get to these grips asap to get them finished, but it's just hard to say when that will be right now. 

Thanks

Jayson Dekmar

On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 11:06 PM, Chase  wrote:

Hi Jayson, I know I’ve hassled you enough on this but after trying the new palm swell grips on a buddy’s shadow 2 today at a match I feel obligated to try again...

Or If you’d rather not produce a large batch of them would you consider doing a couple custom sets for me? I’d gladly pay what you think is fair for them so it’s not a waste of your time.

Thanks for your consideration.

-Chase

Sent from my iPhone 

On Mar 7, 2018, at 6:30 AM, Jayson @ LOK Grips <jay@lokgrips.com> wrote:

Hi Chase 

That isn't going to work on the large frame grips.  The screw hole isn't where it needs to be and its too far off to do a modification to make it work. I'm going to try to get back to working on the palm swell Tanfo grips soon.

Thanks

Jayson

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 6:47 PM, Chase wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply Jayson, I know you are a super busy guy so I don’t want to take up much more of your time. I did want to ask this last question…

I saw that someone was able to modify the CZ75 Palm Swell grips to fit a small frame Tanfoglio stock 2 (see below) and I was wondering if you had any insight as to if the same thing could be done for the large frame tanfo stock 2…I understand the ergonomics are different between the platforms but if it is simply a matter of relieving material in certain areas I’m willing to take the chance and buy a set to experiment with.

Sent: Monday, March 05, 2018 12:58 PM

Subject: Re: Your LOK Grips Order Has Been Updated (#6853)

Hi Chase

Unfortunately we haven't made much progress.  Our businss has really picked up lately and we haven't had time to work on new products. I'm working on getting more guys hired and more cnc machines so we can get back to working on new products.  Hard to say when they will be ready right now. 

Sorry I can't be more help. 

Thanks

Jayson Dekmar

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 3:21 PM, Chase wrote:

Hi,

I wanted to check in and see if/how the palm swell grips for the Tanfoglio stock 2 are coming along for customers to purchase. I was also curious if I am able to order a custom set if they are really far off from starting production. . .

Please let me know when you have time – thank you!

-Chase

Edited by chaserracer
spelling

4 minutes ago, kujo929 said:

LOK has on their website that small frame palmswell Tanfo grips are coming soon, but not large frame yet.

Saw that and was immediately bummed out ? Considering there are all of about 20 small frame Tanfos in the US i don't understand the logic...Wouldn't you want to cater to the customer base with the largest potential first? Especially considering people with small frame Tanfos can alter the CZ 75 palm swell grips to fit their guns.

Oh well I'm sure they have done their research and have their reasoning, I'm just growing more bitter and impatient from waiting ? (Rant over)

If anyone is keen to try (or desperate enough like me) to make their LOK thin grips a bit thicker; I took a 1/8" thick rubber piece and cut it to fit the inner mold-back strap portion of the grips (where the liner would be if you added it) put a small hole in it for the grip screw and glued it to the inside of that panel. After tightening the screw down you don't get a full 1/4" increased thickness but pretty darn close. Fills the hand much better in my opinion, hopefully it will hold up until these palm swells are a thing...

1 hour ago, chaserracer said:

I'm just growing more bitter and impatient from waiting ? (Rant over)

On the bright side, if something this trivial can wad your undies everything must be going great otherwise !!

?