Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Online stock trading software or apps

galt11

I have been looking into different applications to use for trading stocks etc and would like to hear any advice or experiences with what you may have tried.  I am going back and forth between the free ones like Robinhood and the less expensive ones like E-trade or Schwab.  I wouldn't be doing any large amount of trades nor high dollar amounts, just from time to time would like to try my hand at it. Thanks

Adam

I've not been active in years but when I was I went through several different brokerages and their software.   

My favorite was StreetSmart Pro offered by Charles Schwab.  They were very reliable and seemed to always have shares available if I wanted to take a "short" position. 

This info is about 5 years old so that platform may no longer be available.

• 1 month later...

I use Fidelity for long duration trades.

I used to dabble in the day trading world. If you want to play small scale at that I recommend Suretrader as it is offshore and you can bypass the pattern day trader rule if you want to play with a small account. They have reasonably priced trades and Level II access. 

TradeStation.com hands down.  I was an institutional trader for several years, we used TradeStation back then, it was around $1,000 a month per user just for platform access.  Now, it's free.  A number of hedge finds, etc use TS because if the robust nature of the platform.   Excellent features, competitive pricing.  It will make you a better trader.