Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Build my custom 2011....

wrx04

I’m new to uspsa and thinking about a 2011 in .40 so I can shoot limited.  I would like to know what options the more experienced guys prefer on their guns.  Opinions may vary wildly, but I would like to see what most here prefer and why.....looking for the things that most people agree upon.  If you had to build a gun for a new guy, how would you build it to eliminate the mistakes made in building a gun with minimal experience in the sport?

What is options are considered a personal preference vs an objective advantage?  (I.e. full vs short dustcover, metal v poly grip, etc...)

I’ve been thinking of a tri-top 5.4” SVI in .40.  Metal grip, aet barrel, steel magwell, full length dust cover, etc...   I may also buy a used gun and run it for a year or two to find what I like, but part of me wants to just get the SVI (or similar) from the start.

Show me your gunbuilder build for recommendations.  Thanks.

I am no expert, and just bought my first 2011 myself, but the advice that I was given, and I think it was the best advice ever, was to start out with a nice used 2011 with most of the features you are looking for, and then get a good smith to take a look at it and fine-tune any issues he/she may see.

This way, you get your gun right away (You will wait many months to get an SVI), and you should be able to sell the used gun again for about what you paid for it later.

This gives you a chance to find out what you like, what you want, and then after a season out at the range, you can then design the gun of your dreams.

I have to say however that I just added a thumb rest to my STI frame, and I love it! I wasn't sure how much of a gimmick they were, but now that I have it, I absolutely love it. YMMV of course, but my advice would be to put one on any gun your buy/build.

13 hours ago, wrx04 said:

I’ve been thinking of a tri-top 5.4” SVI in .40.  Metal grip, aet barrel, steel magwell, full length dust cover, etc...   I may also buy a used gun and run it for a year or two to find what I like, but part of me wants to just get the SVI (or similar) from the start.

13 hours ago, Doublehelix said:

This way, you get your gun right away (You will wait many months to get an SVI), and you should be able to sell the used gun again for about what you paid for it later.

This gives you a chance to find out what you like, what you want, and then after a season out at the range, you can then design the gun of your dreams.

Dblx was given great advice and is pretty std. info you'll get at most club and on here.

Put your order in with SV,  YOU WILL have plently of time to make changes if you want prior to the actual build.

Call them and they will give you the run down of what the basics are etc.

Steel vs plastic is the biggest choice on most guns ( I've gone back to the plastic grip (personal preference )

My favorite pistol is an Akai limited with the aggressive serration

Next is the Freak style 6" gun I have (look at Akai's web site for the "Freak")

Dan Bedell will build you a gun that will race but not quite as much eye candy also not as much money, Dan puts the money in performance not eye candy!

Unless you buy missionary mikes "not so used" 5.4 SVI. 

If you are dead set on a 5.4 I would go with a short dust cover or atleast a butler cut.  That will help keep it from being a nose heavy gun.

Definitely go with AET sight tracker. 

SV has lots of grip options.  I prefer the IC(smallest diam grip) with agressive micropocket.

Like others have said get a used pistol so the wait doesn't kill you.  You can keep it for a backup pistol.

Edited by Fowlmouths

Ha!  I would love to buy MM’s gun, but if I’m going to spend that much $$$ I want it exactly to my specs.  Not to mention, his gun is about $1200 more than my build would cost.

His gun is awesome though!

Ive also been kicking around the idea of a CK Arms (or Atlas) and a Dillon 1050.  Same price for a gun and 1050 as the SVI.  Right now I’m loading everything on my 550b.....1050 would be a nice upgrade and still have a quality gun.

I’m new to the 2011 game too, but I bought a full custom Atlas and couldn’t be happier. I received the same advice about buying used until I “knew what I really wanted” out of a Limited gun. I have no regrets about jumping right in.

3 hours ago, MNshooter said:

I’m new to the 2011 game too, but I bought a full custom Atlas and couldn’t be happier. I received the same advice about buying used until I “knew what I really wanted” out of a Limited gun. I have no regrets about jumping right in.

Ive had similar experiences in the past where I regretted not getting the best I could afford right off the bat.  

What Atlas gun did you get?  I’ve been looking at the Titan and Nemesis.  Nemesis looks cool, but the price is up there near SVI.  Are build times really under four months for them?

1 hour ago, wrx04 said:

Ive had similar experiences in the past where I regretted not getting the best I could afford right off the bat.  

What Atlas gun did you get?  I’ve been looking at the Titan and Nemesis.  Nemesis looks cool, but the price is up there near SVI.  Are build times really under four months for them?

I went with an Atlas Nemesis and am waiting on it now. They has a Titan SE that was ready to go that I could have had with a rail, but I decided to wait and get what I wanted (I want to try the sight block/island barrel game). The price is still less than a SV, but they aren't different build (full custom for SV, vs super high end top shelf), but its still $1k at least cheaper but that is with a set of tuned mags.

I started off with an STI Edge in .40 and started tweaking it right off the bat trying different things to see what I liked and what seemed to fit my grip (DVC stippled grip, Wilson high ride ambi safety, etc...) had that for about a year and then got an Akai Barbarian.  What I found out is that there's a big difference in quality from a stock STI to a custom gun. Now have an Akai with a PT EVO steel grip which makes the gun heavier but less felt recoil (really like it).  Along the way I have found out that I like flat triggers more than curved (I seem to get a more consistent trigger pull) and that I like the Nitro Fin thumb rest. I thought the fin was gimmicky until I tried it. If I had the money to spare and was just getting started, given what I know now, I would get an Atlas Titan or Nemesis, they seem to have all the bells and whistles that I have found to prefer on my guns. Oh, and add in the Dillon 1050 (although the 650 is what I have and is sufficient for my needs)....

I ordered a “custom” because I wanted different colors, cuts, and a butler cut but I wouldn’t hesitate to order a Titan. Delivery was under 4 months.

Figuring out what gun configuration to build is really no different than car shopping. You can window shop for cars all you want but you will never really understand if a car is right for you until you are behind the wheel for an extended amount of time. Gun's are no different.

You need to test drive as many different gun configs as possible to really understand what YOU want.I would also suggest that you build a .40 cal load to use for all of these gun tests so the ammo is at least consistent from one gun to the next. 

After that is done THEN you can start shopping for a gunsmith to build that config or buy a similar config that can be easily modified to the desired config.

11 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

Figuring out what gun configuration to build is really no different than car shopping. You can window shop for cars all you want but you will never really understand if a car is right for you until you are behind the wheel for an extended amount of time. Gun's are no different.

You need to test drive as many different gun configs as possible to really understand what YOU want.I would also suggest that you build a .40 cal load to use for all of these gun tests so the ammo is at least consistent from one gun to the next. 

After that is done THEN you can start shopping for a gunsmith to build that config or buy a similar config that can be easily modified to the desired config.

Wise words indeed. 

In my case, I started with a Glock 35 and then bought a used Edge and made various tweaks, seeing what worked and what didn't. 2 years and 60,000 rounds through the Edge later, I was able to sit down with my custom builder and discuss exactly what I wanted out of the new gun, and now I couldn't be happier.

If you just hop into the game and go full custom, you may very well be happy with what you get, but, lacking the experience, how will you know that it can't be much, much better?

Personally I think most deviations from a pretty normal 5" gun are mostly fluff. Some one getting their first 2011 I would recommend getting an edge and getting some experience with the platform. A used edge can be had for 2k or less and makes a good back up gun.

If you have good eyes longer sight radius is just an extra expense.

Metal grips are personal (trying them on my guns this year and still undecided if they will stay)

Sight Trackers I feel they add expense and not much else (I don't care for the way the front sight moves)

Most importantly you should buy whatever you really want because a gun you like is more likely to get some practice time. Most of the options don't matter much as long as the guns reliable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2018 at 8:27 PM, wrx04 said:

Ive also been kicking around the idea of a CK Arms (or Atlas) and a Dillon 1050. 

You almost have it right. Get the 650 and Mr. bulletfeeder. 

Edited by Sdlrodeo

On 3/19/2018 at 11:25 AM, wrx04 said:

I can relate. 

I bought a used STI. Nice gun. But I pretty quickly ordered my Atlas Titan. I chose not to get used to the STI since I knew the grip/trigger/balance would be different than the Titan. Then again I’m working on 3 pistol divisions and PCC so I have plenty on my plate but that’s another story. 

It was 3 months to the day for my TItan but I had some special sauce upgrades and extras that made it take that long.