Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Auto comp or titegroup for PCC??

So I have been shooting my PCC with titegroup pushing 147 gr projectiles.  I will using a new 147gr fmj and bought a new barrel so I need to develop a new load.  Just for record, I have the mbx barrel which is basically 13" before the pinned comp.  I have titegroup like I have been running but I have winchester autocomp for my open gun and was wondering if I should try that?  What are your thoughts titegroup or autocomp??  I hate to use it just yet because I have a lot of titegroup but I have some VihtaVuori N320 as well.  

8 minutes ago, stick said:

Autocomp is a lot slower than titegroup.  I prefer faster powders for PCC, to give a less felt recoil and dot bounce.

Ive never shot anything but titegroup but I think I was told to run slower burning powders with a comp...  But I dont completely recall.  Ive been trying different things to manage the recoil on the pcc so sounds like titegroup is the better choice.  

53 minutes ago, spininfirec said:

Ive never shot anything but titegroup but I think I was told to run slower burning powders with a comp...  But I dont completely recall.  Ive been trying different things to manage the recoil on the pcc so sounds like titegroup is the better choice.  

What PCC are you shooting?

Of the two you asked about my choice would be Titegroup. I tried Autocomp in a couple of my short barreled guns and there seemed to be quite a bit of residue. Unburned power, and the like.

My personal choice is N320. Clean. Reasonably soft. Accurate.

To be honest with you the word 'soft' probably shouldn't be used when examining the recoil of fast powders like Titegroup and N320. It would be more important, in my view, that accuracy, cleanliness, and cost be considered. Titegroup has it all over N320 regarding cost, but as far as accuracy, and certainly cleanliness, the Vihtavuori powder edges it out.   

A while back I got a GMR 15 and although the consensus is for low charges of faster powders, my inquiring mind just had to know. I experimented with several loads, WAC being one of them. In the end it just failed all my criteria. Titegroup won out overall. Your mileage will vary, just my results in my gun. 

18 minutes ago, joelpend said:

I use 3.4gr Titegroup with MG 124gr. Yields 1100+fps from my 16" JP Rifle and shoots soft. Definitely want fast burning powders to yield cleaner burning with blowback actions.

I have the older model GMR-13, and it seems to like the 124 gr. heads quite well.  My earlier testing seemed to favor the recoil using a slower burning powder (N350), but I'm going to go back and retest the various loads this week.

I chronographed some 124 grain RNs the other day loaded with 3.2 grains of N320. Oal was 1.125 inches. The results gave me a PF of 128, which is a good place to be for local matches. Were I to shoot where a chronograph station was set up I would add a tenth grain more of powder. Accuracy is excellent. Recoil is very mild.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I went to the range to check zero on my PCC and do some load testing. 14.5" JP pinned barrel with their tac comp, Taccom BCG & 3 stage buffer. Bottom line is I had some light HS6 loads for my open 3-gun pistol. Thought I would try them Similar burn rate as Autocomp. 124gr Everglades JRN with 6.0gr HS6. Could actually feel the comp work, but really dirty and harsh.

Shot fairly soft, but will stick to Titegroup.

gerritm

off topic... I had an opportunity to shoot some of L9x25's    95 grainers with WSF after the match Sunday... compared to my 135 Bayou with WSF they produced 1/2 my perceived scope movement at 25yd... the scope was a 1.5x16 ACOG with very precise amber triangle

I have used autocomp in my pcc and I like it a lot. I use way under what the book minimum load is for each bullet weight out of my 16” Barrel. It hasn’t been dirty as some say.