Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optics?

dmedley

I am really wanting to shoot local IDPA match, but also really wanting to shoot carry optics. I noticed provisional rules for carry optics on IDPA website. Is this something that will take off in IDPA as it has USPSA?

Time will tell if it takes off in either disciplines.  But, as long as it is a division to be shot, why worry if others will like it.  Shoot what you prefer to shoot.  You will always have the "cool kids" that think any new (provisional) division is for some lesser person.

I think it will, look at any gun mag or web sight and you see pistols dressed up with a dot. I also think quite a few people who may be having eye problems will like it, but I think at some clubs it will be a slow to embrace it. They're is going to be folks that will dislike it, same ones that are mad about the new rules.

I dunno if it'll take off or not, it's been slow in USPSA but now generally outnumbers Single Stack at locals here, often close to the same numbers as Open, run into to people talking about trying it at almost every match.

I've never shot IDPA but when I saw they had added it this year I thought I might try to make it to a match.

On 3/15/2018 at 9:34 AM, dmedley said:

I am really wanting to shoot local IDPA match, but also really wanting to shoot carry optics. I noticed provisional rules for carry optics on IDPA website. Is this something that will take off in IDPA as it has USPSA?

USPSA has made it a Division.  IT was voted and approved the last BOD meeting.

IDPA seems to be following with the same basic set of rules for the gun! Thank God!

Two of our local clubs seem to be embracing it both the leadership and the shooters.

Lets guys that have been shooting CO in USPSA have the opportunity to use the same stuff in IDPA.

Hope IDPA keeps the gun rules the same

On 3/16/2018 at 2:49 PM, jcc7x7 said:

USPSA has made it a Division.  IT was voted and approved the last BOD meeting.

IDPA seems to be following with the same basic set of rules for the gun! Thank God!

Two of our local clubs seem to be embracing it both the leadership and the shooters.

Lets guys that have been shooting CO in USPSA have the opportunity to use the same stuff in IDPA.

Hope IDPA keeps the gun rules the same

IDPA is allowing single action guns and magwells.  The funny thing about the magwell is that there are, in true IDPA fashion, two rules that contradict one another:

1.1.1.2 CO Permitted Modifications (Inclusive list):

B. Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell. Grip modifications such as, but not limited to, undercutting/smoothing the trigger guard, adding or removing finger grooves, or adding

Seems to run contrary to this rule:

1.1.1.2 CO Permitted Modifications (Inclusive list):

S. Magazine wells.

So I can have a magwell but those "makeshift magwells" are out of the question...  weird.

I think the inclusion of single action guns makes a 9mm 1911 with a dot sight and a magwell a pretty attractive gun for this sport.

1 hour ago, Steve RA said:

I wish USPSA would allow single action guns (1911) in Carry Optics as I'd probably go shoot a few matches with that.  Mainly because I put a dot on my .45 a few years ago and like shooting it.

Steve, that is BLASPHEMY!

3 hours ago, Steve RA said:

I wish USPSA would allow single action guns (1911) in Carry Optics as I'd probably go shoot a few matches with that.  Mainly because I put a dot on my .45 a few years ago and like shooting it.

2 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Steve, that is BLASPHEMY!

2 hours ago, Steve RA said:

What, precisely, do you base that statement on ???  I don't think I'm the first on here to wish for a rule change.

IT's not about any rule of uspsa

it's the blasphemy of putting an optic on a 1911 45acp LOL

25 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

A 1911 with optic is USPSA Open.  Go for it.  If the extra reloads are the difference between winning and not, I can see your reluctance, but if you are, like me, on Team Mediocre, give yourself the experience. 

This is the IDPA forum, there is no open, the gun would be Carry Optics legal.

Pardon me for posting on the IDPA site !!  :D

39 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

A 1911 with optic is USPSA Open.  Go for it.  If the extra reloads are the difference between winning and not, I can see your reluctance, but if you are, like me, on Team Mediocre, give yourself the experience. 

Thanks, but I shot Open back when the STIs said CMC on the grips.

Hey, I remember when.  I did not buy a Tripp-McCormick because I could see the AWB coming down the pike and assumed Sedro Wooley would obey the law. 

26 minutes ago, jhgtyre said:

This is the IDPA forum, there is no open, the gun would be Carry Optics legal.

I know, but Steve started talking about what he would do if USPSA would let him. 

I had been running a Hex-Tac in IDPA ESP for a while. I had it cut for an optic because the local MD was allowing CO in his matches, and I am having an open gun built with a slide mounted optic so I would be able to practice with the new setup before receiving the gun. When IDPA updated the provisional CO rules in February my gun became legal and I have been loving it. 

Finally IDPA has a race division.

XhtGyFSMwII8wFqQi2WJL7mwg3hHFhQ1tFAuH_ALKLIzUO_C0XtLaJUETqyRQ7RECgAoa5X8EFagb-BNRITixXUmute3Yy-HcXzLqqKmB5hvAZJX-xjyPI1EHJUwbDoReu5o2-jnzzvoSJWSrr1bGD1X1WHMNh0mXj0ZK92wuwjEwI1_gANic4Q1Q3q64Wt_g3v4TrX-dOhmFg85s3nmiwoRGJ4I4wQZIwbA3R35VQlUJveqKOzwJb_D6RzRcQHJ3KMyAu6X-e1HwWHzoEhcXENyU8-8hFpHBEzsikWEXLeRN5-dOnfBbr0jvjycGNuK_LPM9HP9-LuxaTHrQ05hK5oHCKV-_q9uEn9tUZqTDZur9hh6VR0iwPnhtoRx7UEtEZtwMnwoToW94hUE3rtFZQi7LaQVomzEX2fWggFelPlZBt8MUbYwOCRD55GbAuLFjc24OzWuio5_P9y_K0xPiApW7bYiM9CdombaWhm3TrWqRc1TErBU-CIAZYwwW0IZ9Hdzpev8gF1HE0iaC_jUJGyu3JH-0FozcKCAmLrfS9mz2LXvEzoqF3rVFKBYWq8Gzwh0hNnplxx3dxoK0XKzjhgugHMwRYu6NZRMbf8=w1454-h1107-no

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...