Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am diving into the PCC pool

On 7/31/2018 at 1:26 PM, Startingover said:

Start with quarters so you can make lots of adjustments.

When you get it how you like it, measuring the stack of quarters will give you the spacer size. 

That sounds like a good plan...  Thanks.

Are you using your Vltor A5 lower extension tube, or the standard carbine tube?

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Good tips, thanks...  I don't lock the bolt back or use the LRBHO linkage, so that doesn't matter to me.

I assume you are using the Blitzkrieg hydraulic buffer?

Unless you are running a CMMG Guard, my setup will be weird to you.

First, the slower motion of my much lighter BCG means I wound up with a lighter “ideal” buffer mass for a flat-shooting gun.

Second, my BCG is longer. The Guard bolt & carrier look nearly identical to a 5.56 gun’s parts. 

For those reasons, I’m running the 5oz kytech hydraulic buffer intended for a .308 carbine. In a carbine tube, with a wave spring behind it.

If I were to start over, I’d build with an A5 tube. Better to have the extra length to play with and add spacers, than start short and hope you have enough for whatever combination of parts you wind up using.

Edited by MemphisMechanic
50 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

I don't lock the bolt back or use the LRBHO linkage, so that doesn't matter to me.

My gun is short stroked so that you can BARELY drive the charging handle back hard and get it to lock open. Barely. You need a hard running start.

It comes in handy for easily loading a mag that isn’t downloaded at ‘make ready’ and more importantly? It’s handy when you have a really hideous malfunction. ;) 

On 7/20/2018 at 10:02 AM, RaylanGivens said:

So, you can make a delrin spacer the length of the difference between the A5 and carbine tubes and use standard buffers, or you can build a longer buffer system to suit the new A5 tube.

To start, I just measured the inside depths of the Carbine tube vs. A5 tube, then caculated the difference, and made that up with a stack of quarters.

8 hours ago, Startingover said:

To start, I just measured the inside depths of the Carbine tube vs. A5 tube, then caculated the difference, and made that up with a stack of quarters.

I ordered one of the VltorA5  extension tubes from Midway...  Good price and they seem to be the standard...  Making up the difference with quarters is a good idea...  It will let me shoot my current buffer system in the longer extension tube if I want to.

Getting ready to order my Blitzkrieg hydraulic buffer and spring...  Did you get yours at Blitzkrieg.com?  Is the RB5007 still the one to get?  I hear that there's a version with a new, improved piston?

Not sure which spring to get?

23 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Unless you are running a CMMG Guard, my setup will be weird to you.

First, the slower motion of my much lighter BCG means I wound up with a lighter “ideal” buffer mass for a flat-shooting gun.

Second, my BCG is longer. The Guard bolt & carrier look nearly identical to a 5.56 gun’s parts. 

For those reasons, I’m running the 5oz kytech hydraulic buffer intended for a .308 carbine. In a carbine tube, with a wave spring behind it.

If I were to start over, I’d build with an A5 tube. Better to have the extra length to play with and add spacers, than start short and hope you have enough for whatever combination of parts you wind up using.

I'm using a pretty standard system...  QC10 lower and upper with a Taccom Extreme bolt...

Since your Kynshot buffer is only 5 ounces, I assume you kept the weight in your bolt?  I'm currently running a JP SCS buffer, so I already removed the weight from my buffer.

50 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Since your Kynshot buffer is only 5 ounces, I assume you kept the weight in your bolt?  I'm currently running a JP SCS buffer, so I already removed the weight from my buffer.

You need to wrap your head around my gun being totally different from what you are using. ;) 

The Guard uses a 5.56-style bolt & carrier which is light. There’s no provision for a weight.

Guard 9mm BCG:

0A40A85E-F0AD-41C0-ACC9-A5D8AF857218.thumb.jpeg.699a09e8fc01f97c59db9fd55bd65cbe.jpeg

Edited by MemphisMechanic
1 hour ago, RaylanGivens said:

I ordered one of the VltorA5  extension tubes from Midway...  Good price and they seem to be the standard...  Making up the difference with quarters is a good idea...  It will let me shoot my current buffer system in the longer extension tube if I want to.

Getting ready to order my Blitzkrieg hydraulic buffer and spring...  Did you get yours at Blitzkrieg.com?  Is the RB5007 still the one to get?  I hear that there's a version with a new, improved piston?

Not sure which spring to get?

Yep, I just ordered mine from them directly.

https://www.blitzkriegcomponents.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RB5007

I am just using a cheap 308 carbine until I get it all dialed in, then I may buy a higher quality spring.

What ammo are you using?

That will determine what spring you want.

4 minutes ago, Startingover said:

I am just using a cheap 308 carbine until I get it all dialed in, then I may buy a higher quality spring.

What ammo are you using?

That will determine what spring you want.

I'm loading 135gr Acme bullets with 3.2gr of N320 at 1.135...  It chronos at 133pf in my 16" barrel.

54 minutes ago, Startingover said:

From the Blitzkrieg Web Site:

Spring Selection Guidance:
*The following is provided as general guidance as a starting point in spring selection
SPRINCO Orange 308 Carbine - 7-16" barrel unsuppressed, 6-14.5" suppressed
SPRINCO Red 223 Extra Power - 5-8" barrel unsuppressed, 4-7" suppressed
SPRINCO Blue 223 Enhanced Power - 3.5-6" barrel unsuppressed or suppressed
SPRINCO White 223 Standard Power - 3.5-5" barrel on softer running guns
SPRINCO Yellow 223 Reduced Power - 3.5-5" barrel - very soft running guns unsuppressed
JP 308 Rifle Ground & Polished Spring - 14.5" & 16" barrel - hot/heavy bullets or suppressed
JP 308 Carbine Ground & Polished Spring - same as Sprinco Orange (quietest spring)

JP 223 Carbine Ground & Polished Spring - same as Sprinco Blue (quietest spring)

According to the chart on the Blitzkrieg web site, it looks like there are only three spring options that would apply to my 16" barrel...  Highlighting in the chart above is mine.

3 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

From the Blitzkrieg Web Site:

According to the chart on the Blitzkrieg web site, it looks like there are only three spring options that would apply to my 16" barrel...  Highlighting in the chart above is mine.

I am not very sure how hot your rounds are, but I am guessingthat you can use an orange or red sprinco

Because these are typically based on factory ammo 

Edited by Startingover
18 hours ago, Startingover said:

I am not very sure how hot your rounds are, but I am guessingthat you can use an orange or red sprinco

Because these are typically based on factory ammo 

I ordered one of the JP 308 Carbine springs...  It's the same strength as the Sprinco orange, but a little quieter.

Do you still use the buffer retaining pin?  I haven't been using one with my SCS system, but thinking about reinstalling one with the hydraulic buffer.

Finally got to shoot it some last night.

200 rnds down the range testing and sighting it in. 

I am very pleased, it ran like a sewing machine!

I am tempted to drop in the wave spring, but I think I need to have a better feel for this current base line set up before I go messing with it.

Excellent!  Glad to hear that it's shooting well!

This is with the A5 tube and enough quarters to make the buffer length equivalent to a standard carbine tube?

If you know the compressed length of the wave spring, you could remove that many quarters and then add the wave spring...  That should be a safe way to start out.

8 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

This is with the A5 tube and enough quarters to make the buffer length equivalent to a standard carbine tube?

Yes it is.

With a 308 carbine length spring only

First change will be to just add the wave spring, with out removing any quarters.

(Just put it behind the top one)

On 8/7/2018 at 5:17 PM, Startingover said:

Yes it is.

With a 308 carbine length spring only

First change will be to just add the wave spring, with out removing any quarters.

(Just put it behind the top one)

On 8/7/2018 at 9:12 AM, RaylanGivens said:

Excellent!  Glad to hear that it's shooting well!

If you know the compressed length of the wave spring, you could remove that many quarters and then add the wave spring...  That should be a safe way to start out.

If I can find time, I may play with adding a wave tomorrow.

I will start with just adding it and checking stroke length.

(I also want to double check, the stack of quarters at the rear of the tube, to verify their total length)

Then I may run up to the range and test it.

On 8/2/2018 at 5:00 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

You need to wrap your head around my gun being totally different from what you are using. ;) 

The Guard uses a 5.56-style bolt & carrier which is light. There’s no provision for a weight.

Guard 9mm BCG:

0A40A85E-F0AD-41C0-ACC9-A5D8AF857218.thumb.jpeg.699a09e8fc01f97c59db9fd55bd65cbe.jpeg

The Foxtrot Mike BCG is much closer to the weight/look of a standard 556 BCG than what I was running.  Though not like this^^^^^^

On 8/11/2018 at 5:52 AM, Startingover said:

If I can find time, I may play with adding a wave tomorrow.

I will start with just adding it and checking stroke length.

(I also want to double check, the stack of quarters at the rear of the tube, to verify their total length)

Then I may run up to the range and test it.

I just double checked the measurements.

My carbine length tube inside measures

6  7/8" 

My A5 Vltor tube inside measures

7  3/4"

Approximately 7/8" difference

We had put in 10 quarters that is about 11/16"

I need between 11 and 12 quarters to get the 7/8" difference between the two tube lengths.

So I dropped in a total of 11 quarters with a wave spring in between the last two.

This should be a good start.

20180812_140012.jpg

23 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I’ll be curious to see how she runs. 

How far back will the bolt travel right now? Can you lock the bolt back?

It will lock open easy, with a firm pull.

I think I feel it starting into the wave spring, right after it gets back far enough to lock open.

I think I could shorten the travel even more, but I want to try this first.