Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am diving into the PCC pool

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Startingover said:

I am really looking hard at using the longer type tube, because I often feel like many of them are just too short to get comfortable.

I am always double checking to see if the stock is pulled all the way out.

Plus having all that extra room on the inside to fine tune the buffer set up is definitely a nice bonus.

So, you can make a delrin spacer the length of the difference between the A5 and carbine tubes and use standard buffers, or you can build a longer buffer system to suit the new A5 tube...  Good plan!

What buffer system are you planning to start with?

5 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

So, you can make a delrin spacer the length of the difference between the A5 and carbine tubes and use standard buffers, or you can build a longer buffer system to suit the new A5 tube...  Good plan!

What buffer system are you planning to start with?

I have the blitzkrieg 9mm buffer, and a stack of wave springs.

I will work something out!

I will probably start with just the blitzkrieg and a 308 spring, in a standard length tube, as a base line, then go from there.

20180414_134901-1.jpg

On 7/26/2018 at 3:56 AM, Startingover said:

Tracking info says it will get here Saturday.

I am going to try and build it on Sunday.

I hope it makes it in time!

It got here on Fri.

We build this afternoon, after I get off work!

It's been I long wait, and I am kind of excited.

Edited by Startingover
28 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Good start! 

I can’t say enough about how happy I am with the Holosun 510C by the way.

Let us know how your buffer/spring tuning goes.

I am starting out with a 308 carbine spring with quarters taking up the rest of the difference in the A5 tube.

We ran 2 mags through it, and it ran fine.

I will play with it for a while  (sighting it in, etc.)

Maybe a couple local league matches, before I start messing with the the 223 spring or the wave springs etc.

15 hours ago, Startingover said:

I am starting out with a 308 carbine spring with quarters taking up the rest of the difference in the A5 tube.

We ran 2 mags through it, and it ran fine.

I will play with it for a while  (sighting it in, etc.)

Maybe a couple local league matches, before I start messing with the the 223 spring or the wave springs etc.

Glad you got it together and shot it...  Great looking rifle!

Did you go with the Vltor A5 extension tube for the longer reach (length of pull) or because you wanted to experiment with different length buffer setups?

Would be nice if someone started making delrin buffer spacers.

3 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Glad you got it together and shot it...  Great looking rifle!

Did you go with the Vltor A5 extension tube for the longer reach (length of pull) or because you wanted to experiment with different length buffer setups?

Would be nice if someone started making delrin buffer spacers.

Both reasons.

I could have found a longer stock to fit on a carbine length tube, but that's a pain, so now I can use any stock.

But I really wanted the extra room for playing with the buffer.

18 hours ago, Startingover said:

Both reasons.

I could have found a longer stock to fit on a carbine length tube, but that's a pain, so now I can use any stock.

But I really wanted the extra room for playing with the buffer.

So the increased length of the A5 tube gives you extra room for a wave spring and delrin spacer?

To calculate the length of the delrin spacer:  Take the collapsed length of the wave spring and subtract that from the increased length of the A5 tube to get your starting point for the delrin spacer...  If that all works out, increase the length of the delrin spacer to short stroke the bolt.

Does that sound about right?  Been trying to figure this out for a while...  I think I might be getting close. 

7 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

So the increased length of the A5 tube gives you extra room for a wave spring and delrin spacer?

To calculate the length of the delrin spacer:  Take the collapsed length of the wave spring and subtract that from the increased length of the A5 tube to get your starting point for the delrin spacer...  If that all works out, increase the length of the delrin spacer to short stroke the bolt.

Does that sound about right?  Been trying to figure this out for a while...  I think I might be getting close. 

Take a roll of quarters to the range and see what makes the gun shoot flattest.

See how many allow you to lock the bolt back, or your LRBHO to function if equipped. This will probably be a diffent number from the first stack of quarters.

Take those things, and decide how much of a stack you want to run behind the wave spring. A single quarter still stays on top of the wave spring for the buffer to run into, of course.

Once you’ve run it that way for a few matches, consider making a spacer out of some delrin if you feel like doing so. But quarters are impossible to beat for calibration purposes.

Edited by MemphisMechanic
On 7/31/2018 at 12:53 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Take a roll of quarters to the range and see what makes the gun shoot flattest.

See how many allow you to lock the bolt back, or your LRBHO to function if equipped. This will probably be a diffent number from the first stack of quarters.

Take those things, and decide how much of a stack you want to run behind the wave spring. A single quarter still stays on top of the wave spring for the buffer to run into, of course.

Once you’ve run it that way for a few matches, consider making a spacer out of some delrin if you feel like doing so. But quarters are impossible to beat for calibration purposes.

Good tips, thanks...  I don't lock the bolt back or use the LRBHO linkage, so that doesn't matter to me.

I assume you are using the Blitzkrieg hydraulic buffer?