Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am diving into the PCC pool

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@RaylanGivens what do you prefer about full length barrels over the taccom stubby?

I made the same decision you did, but havent had time behind a taccom ULW barreled gun yet.

I've been fortunant that many of our local PCC shooters let me shoot their rifles...  the ULW that I shot was a very light gun...  It had more flip than the other rifles that were all full length...  the dot didn't leave the glass, but it rose higher than the other full length rifles...  It seemed to take me longer for the second shot...  Not sure if it was that build or if I am just a lousy PCC rifleman, but it seemed like a full length barrel would be the best place for me to start.

1 hour ago, Snopczynski said:

Typically when you take the weight out, the cycling of the bolt speeds up. 

Yes...  But I don't know if my bolt needs speeding up or not...  partly because my rifle isn't complete (and I can't shoot it)...  and partly because I'm not familiar enough with PCC rifle components to know if removing the bolt weight is a generally accepted good practice or not..

I built a Gas operated AR15 from scratch about 8 years ago, but never shot it competitively...  Soon after I built it I discovered USPSA matches and have been shooting Open and Limited pistols ever since then.  I shot a PCC rifle a few weeks ago and decided to build one...  I'm learning on the go...  If I had it to do over again, I would wait longer and buy the buffer, bolt, and barrel all together at one time.

17 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

It had more flip than the other rifles that were all full length...  the dot didn't leave the glass, but it rose higher than the other full length rifles...

That’s only a fair comparison when both rifles have had proper testing done to match spring/buffer/ammo to the gun.

Mine can rise 4” above the target when I fire if I use the wrong spring and buffer, or leave a snakebite in the A-zone when you rip the trigger twice... if I swap in a hydro buffer, wave spring, spacer, and heavy buffer spring.

I’d love to shoot a gun with the ULW setup which had an equal amount of testing done to match my own ultralight 16” barreled gun.

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

That’s only a fair comparison when both rifles have had proper testing done to match spring/buffer/ammo to the gun.

True...  But that's the only option available to me...  I appreciate my friends letting me shoot their rifles...  It would be difficult/impossible  to find multiple rifles with the pre-testing that you describe.

Mine can rise 4” above the target when I fire if I use the wrong spring and buffer, or leave a snakebite in the A-zone when you rip the trigger twice... if I swap in a hydro buffer, wave spring, spacer, and heavy buffer spring.

My original plan was to try to duplicate the hydraulic buffer wave spring system some of you are using...  but I just don't understand the technology well enough to implement one...  I could find some delrin and have it cut, but I'm not sure exactly how to determine the critical dimensions...  I expect they are different for every rifle, depending on the parts used...  My second plan was to use a simple hydralic buffer with the standard 308 carbine spring...  which I may still do...  then test shortening the buffer system using the "quarters" method to see what's going on...  although it seems that some of the early Blitzkrieg buffer adopters are abandoning them because they leak...

I’d love to shoot a gun with the ULW setup which had an equal amount of testing done to match my own ultralight 16” barreled gun.

So would I...  ?

I'd like to shoot your rifle with its sophisticated buffer system to see how much different it is from some of the PCC rifles people shoot down here...  Looks to me like you could use a Florida vacation...  ?

On 6/15/2018 at 4:32 AM, Startingover said:

Stoped by and talked to them yesterday. 

They got the laser engraving done, and all the pieces are at cerakoting now!

Maybe next week?!?

So the cerakote guy has had a couple of hang ups, but they should be done middle of next week.

It has been a long series of unfortunate  (for me) events, making this way longer than it should be. 

However I understand that real life isn't always what you want.

These guys are making a good product, and will have all this straightened out for the next guy LOL 

I don't mind the extra wait time, to keep my money local, and be able to deal face to face with the manufacturer.

It will all be good at the end

On 6/1/2018 at 3:58 AM, Startingover said:

I picked up an almost new vortex razor for $270 

So now I have the optic piece of the puzzle done.

The Rex riser arrived yesterday.

So I am running out of things to buy, in preparation.

I guess I may have to resort to just laying parts out on the table, to keep me busy. ;)

Keep your eye on Jones Arms. They are doing everything they can to put products on the streets and I suspect they are going to have a good breakthrough in manufacturing processes in the next 6 months. Their main guy is recovering and should be good as new soon enough. Buy with confidence. This is my new set up I'm going to test this week which is an Armaspec SRS with a spacer installed to limit travel. I have been using the blitzkrieg set up for awhile, but have hear reports of them breaking. So I decided to figure out another system. 0d26eefd2a3d8b925bf06ac946163371.jpg455c43b6c63b278fc9af6d9c96300465.jpgacfbd6c537c23c7e3e7f94986550fb6c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
I finally picked them up today !!

It's been a long wait due to a whole long list of unfortunate circumstances. 

I always seem to do this to myself. 
(Just a touch too far ahead of the curve)
LOL 
20180719_173643-1.thumb.jpg.4c2208e914ebccd72b3cbbedb4638c99.jpg

What set is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
30 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Looking good!

Were there specific features you were after, in waiting for this upper & lower?

I wanted the Kronos because they are a local manufacturer, and have heard nothing but super high praise for these.

Zero feeding issues for any ammo.

My number one goal was to have it run flawless with zero issues.

So between these receivers and the Rainier Arms barrel, it should be good to go.

Edited by Startingover
Just now, Startingover said:

I have most everything to build the 1st one sitting here.

Just need to find the time. Its my busy season at work.

I don't know what I am going to do with the 2nd one yet, maybe an ULW type build?

Or super low budget build so I can have a 2nd rifle sooner.

Either way, I thought it would be cool to have a matching set with sequential serial numbers.

LOL

I’d want them pretty close to the same. PCCs do break, and having a backup that feels like what you’re used to would be nice.

I can say that in mine the only change I’d consider would be an A5 tube. The longer buffertube can always be destroked, but I can’t add the 1/4” of travel I’d like to have in my carbine setup to really set her up to kanually lock back easily. I have to really slam the charging handle backward in order for the bolt to get caught.

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I can say that in mine the only change I’d consider would be an A5 tube. The longer buffertube can always be destroked, but I can’t add the 1/4” of travel I’d like to have in my carbine setup to really set her up to kanually lock back easily. I have to really slam the charging handle backward in order for the bolt to get caught.

I am really looking hard at using the longer type tube, because I often feel like many of them are just too short to get comfortable.

I am always double checking to see if the stock is pulled all the way out.

Plus having all that extra room on the inside to fine tune the buffer set up is definitely a nice bonus.