Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am diving into the PCC pool

9 hours ago, Startingover said:

Here are some of the parts I ordered, spent a couple extra bucks and got Titainium on the stuff that is going on this lower.

I am going to use the Strike industries stuff on a low rent 556 build, so I can borrow the spring and pin etc. for this lower.

https://www.rainierarms.com/v7-titanium-grip-screw/

https://www.rainierarms.com/v7-titanium-buffer-retainer-pin/

https://www.rainierarms.com/strike-industries-ar-receiver-extension-with-7-positions-assembly/

https://www.rainierarms.com/strike-industries-enhanced-bolt-catch/

I also ordered a new lighter safety switch because all of a sudden the Battle Arms ones I have been using, seemed real heavy. LOL 

https://www.rainierarms.com/v7-hybrid-3-gun-sport-selectors-57-degree-ambi/

Looks like you got some premium parts there...  Never heard of a titanium grip screw before...  Pretty cool.

I don't use a buffer retainer pin or a bolt catch...  My bolt won't lock back, so I don't use one...  Only problem not using a buffer retainer pin is that you have to put your finger in front of the buffer when you open the upper.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/7/2019 at 7:48 AM, OPENB said:

I thought the MFT Minimalist was very grabby. The rubber pad is not easily removeable. I guess you could grind it off.  I switched to a MOE and took the rubber pad off, slides right up my shoulder.

The MFT Minimalist is perfect for me.  The shape fits well into my shoulder/chest and it does not slide around.

I was always taught to bring a rifle slightly out and back into position so nothing rubs or catches.  I don't want it sliding at all.

2nd lower (this will be my primary one) is assembled!

I used a bunch of new high-speed low-drag parts, plus the Elftmann trigger, Hogue grip, Vltor A5 tube, and Blitzkrieg buffer, from the original lower build.

Now I wait for the MFT minimalist stock to get here.

I guess I also need to dig out one of the prototype magwells for the other one.

20190209_160349.jpg

Edited by Startingover

I found this cheapie Barska red dot in a drawer.

It is my sons, he said it wouldn't hold zero.

I took it all apart, cleaned up the pivots/mount etc.

I think I fixed it, and hope it will work on the back-up for now.

I want to get a Holosun 510c but I have other priorities in the gun dept. so I really hope this works! LOL 

20190210_101911.jpg

16 hours ago, Startingover said:

Primary lower (minus buffer system)

1 pound 9.1 oz.  

With the heavier grip and longer heavier A5 buffer tube.

16 hours ago, Startingover said:

Backup lower (minus buffer system)

1 pound 9.3 oz. 

With the Lighter grip and carbine length buffer tube.

Strange that the Backup Lower is heavier with the lighter grip and shorter buffer tube?

Something else must be different/heavier.

2 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Strange that the Backup Lower is heavier with the lighter grip and shorter buffer tube?

Something else must be different/heavier.

It's the difference in the trigger and all the Titainium parts.

(Safety, take down pins, grip screw, buffer retainer etc.)

Plus I weighed all my parts, like the buffer tube nut etc. and chose the lightest one!

I also drilled out the end plate LOL

It all adds up!

20190210_132932.jpg

Edited by Startingover

Got to the range today, and shot a few hundred rounds between the two guns.

1st - that Barska red dot is going in the garbage! LOL

2nd - Everything else ran good.

The CMC trigger is nowhere near as nice feeling as the Elftmann, but it's Not Bad!

So I guess I need to buy another optic if that back-up gun is going to be usable.

So I am thinking I will get a 510c for the primay gun, then put the Vortex Razor onto my S&W 15-22, and move the Burris FF 3 that's on my S&W 15-22 on to the back-up gun.

Edited by Startingover
34 minutes ago, Startingover said:

The CMC trigger is nowhere near as nice feeling as the Elftmann, but it's Not Bad!

What do you like about the Elftmann over the CMC trigger? I swapped a 24c for the CMC and couldn’t be happier, just wondering in regards to the Elftmann. 

1 hour ago, mveto said:

What do you like about the Elftmann over the CMC trigger? I swapped a 24c for the CMC and couldn’t be happier, just wondering in regards to the Elftmann

Much lighter, crisper feel.

(A small amount of it may be the Elftmann is flat, and cmc is curved, so it's a different feel on the finger itself?)

The cmc is pretty good, just not Elftmann good.

1 hour ago, MoRivera said:

Do you wear mesh when you shoot?

😄

Actually what caused the drilling of the end plate, is my son just bought a bunch of Titanium parts for a really nice 556 build on a Mega Arms reciever set, causing me to realize how heavy all the cheap mil-spec steel junk is.

So I got out the lipstick 🐷

10 hours ago, MoRivera said:

So you're good with that traditional AR grip angle?  I have to have a straighter one on all my AR's.

I don't really notice it that much.

I have changed grips back and forth on a couple of guns, and I seem to notice the texture or grip style more than the slight angle changes.

Yeah I definitely had to find grips that filled my hand as well.  But with my firing hand up and close to my body, definitely prefer a straighter angle.  For the rifles that have a more traditional/Mil-Spec trigger pull length, I go with a Magpul MOE K2+ which also sets the grip a bit farther back from trigger in addition to being more vertical.  For other trigger groups like a POF where the trigger shoe/reach is farther out, I use the BCM Mod 2.