Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am diving into the PCC pool

10 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Interesting.

I need to measure mine every 500 rds to develop a replacement schedule.  Hopefully it slows down after a while.

Thanks.

I am thinking they will settle to a point, and stay there for a while.

I will casually start looking for a similar replacement, that might last a little longer.

But I have extra room in my tube to play with. 

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Startingover said:

I am thinking they will settle to a point, and stay there for a while.

I will casually start looking for a similar replacement, that might last a little longer.

But I have extra room in my tube to play with. 

I've started testing a Blitkrieg buffer with a 95# spring weight / 25# load wave spring. 

Also took delivery yesterday of some 67# spring weight / 18# load wave springs to see if there is any improvement with dot movement.  These are .875" diameter.  Someone mentioned the quarters used for spacers were getting stuck in the 1" OD wave springs.  Thought a smaller diameter spring might be better.  (They are also a bit shorter than the first set of springs.)

1 hour ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I've started testing a Blitkrieg buffer with a 95# spring weight / 25# load wave spring. 

Also took delivery yesterday of some 67# spring weight / 18# load wave springs to see if there is any improvement with dot movement.  These are .875" diameter.  Someone mentioned the quarters used for spacers were getting stuck in the 1" OD wave springs.  Thought a smaller diameter spring might be better.  (They are also a bit shorter than the first set of springs.)

Cool Stuff 

Keep us informed on the process.

1 hour ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I had the problem with the quarters getting tangled in the wave spring... 

I was at the range and kept adding quarters and shooting to see if it improved things...  I stopped adding quarters after I passed the bolt lock-back position...  It seemed to shoot better and better as I added quarters...  when I got home I dumped the quarters and wave spring out so I could measure them and found that the wave spring was binding on the buffer tube...  one of the quarters seemed to have slipped under one of the wave spring rings and bent it...  I replaced all the quarters and wave spring with a delrin spacer of the same length.

I just did some fuzzy math based on website specs.

By switching out my Rainer Arms barrel with vg6 brake, and 15" Atlas-S handguard , and replacing them with the new Taccom tension barrel (with their pinned and welded comp), and the 12.5" Odin Works handguard , I will be dropping 19.1 oz. off the front of the gun!

We will see what the scale says when done, but that's a lot of weight!

Should be interesting.

Just got a 2nd upper from Jones Arms yesterday.

I was looking for another Odin Works, but they were all out of the ones they had coated, so the sold me one of their very first ones they machined.

I think I will move the Rainer Arms barrel and Atlas-S handguard on the Jones upper, and put the new Taccom tension barrel and Odin Works handguard on the Odin Works upper.

What upper vise block does everyone use?

Having a hard time finding the DMPS one in stock.

I see Odin makes an aluminum one.

What upper vise block does everyone use?

Having a hard time finding the DMPS one in stock.
I see Odin makes an aluminum one.

For forged receivers I use the ProMag vise block below:
https://promagindustries.com/tools-for-firearms/456-ar-15m16-upper-lower-receiver-vise-block-kit.html

However, for my side-charging uppers I use a small block of wood on each side of the upper inside my vise. That works well enough for changing barrels, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/730930/dpms-upper-receiver-ar-15-action-block-delrin

I use the DPMS one from Midway...  It works well, but they are also out of stock at the moment.

Haven't found a nice lower vise block for 9mm Glock lowers...  Sacrificed an old Glock magazine and clamped it into the vise...  Not perfect, but better than nothing...

On 9/14/2018 at 10:23 AM, RaylanGivens said:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/730930/dpms-upper-receiver-ar-15-action-block-delrin

I use the DPMS one from Midway...  It works well, but they are also out of stock at the moment.

Never could find that one anywhere, so I went with This Odin Works from Rainier Arms now I can get to switching stuff around.

I also picked up a battle arms safety switch and Ti pins for the next lower build, whenever I can afford another trigger.

I just realized the other day that I will need a second optic for this second upper.

(I guess I will put my 3x vortex on the 16" long barreled one for now)

Where does it end LOL?

3 hours ago, Startingover said:

Never could find that one anywhere, so I went with This Odin Works from Rainier Arms now I can get to switching stuff around.

I also picked up a battle arms safety switch and Ti pins for the next lower build, whenever I can afford another trigger.

I just realized the other day that I will need a second optic for this second upper.

(I guess I will put my 3x vortex on the 16" long barreled one for now)

Where does it end LOL?

Looks like a nice block...  Wasn't available when I bought mine years ago...

I have a second upper and lower, too...  The expensive part is the sight for the upper and the trigger for the lower.

I'll probably buy a second, spare bolt before I put together a second upper...  although I really like the 13.5" Taccom barrel that you got.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a few minutes to switch everything around 

The new Taccom tension barrel is on the Odin Works upper with the Odin Works forearm cover 

The Rainer Arms stainless 16" barrel and VG6 is on the Jones Arms Kronos upper with the Aero Precision forearm.

The new weight is 6lb 4.4oz vs the old weight of 7lbs 5.5oz

(However I discovered that the charging handle may have been touching for the old weigh in, so it might have been even heavier before)

Pics to follow 

Red dot re-sighted in on the new set up, it was fairly close to begin with.

I also put my 3x spitfire on my other upper/old barrel, and it was fairly close from being on my s&w 15-22

But I was having trouble with the Elftmann trigger not always resetting.

So I lengthened the stroke a little, and will see if that cures it.

We set up for tomorrows USPSA match tonight, so I ran the plate rack a dozen times after we were done.

It seems to be running pretty well with the new Taccom tension barrel, so I guess I will shoot PCC tomorrow instead of Limited 10

This will be my first USPSA match with it (however I have used it some, in our local Tues night league etc.) so I am pretty excited.

It's going to be weird not reloading 5 times in a stage 

LOL