Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight movement: Dry fire vs. live

ddc

I’ve been dry firing as much as I can, but at the same time, I feel like there’s always something better to do. I need to get some land so I can set up a backyard range. This is a looooooong term goal. For now I’m going to focus on fry firing more often and take the good advice I’ve read here about trigger press etc.

I read thru this thread but didn't see the answer. Are you using a timer? The par beep definitely adds some similar pressure that's found at matches in my opinion. Get used to the beep and the pressure you put on yourself to make the par time in practice and the match pressure becomes a normal feeling.

• 1 month later...

I had/have this problem as well and I’m working on keeping it in check. From Stoeger’s class I learned (paraphrasing):

- you’re probably not gripping the gun hard enough with your support hand in both live/dry fire

- you need to press the trigger harder in dry fire

The logic he used was we’re tensed up and amped with so much adrenaline at a match that we are pressing the trigger much harder than we would in dry fire. The solution is to mimic reality (ie: press harder in dry fire) and grip at 100% with your support hand. The sights shouldn’t move. If they do it’s a weakness in your grip

Edited by Jayohee

Get Stoeger's book, Dry Fire Reloaded. Work on the slow fire trigger control and trigger control at speed. Follow the instructions, pay INCREDIBLE attention to how you are gripping the gun, how hard, how it feels, how your trigger finger feels, if you're pulling the trigger with the entire hand etc.

If you can honestly master, or get close to mastering, trigger control you'll be way ahead of the game.

On 6/12/2018 at 12:48 PM, SCTaylor said:

Get Stoeger's book, Dry Fire Reloaded. Work on the slow fire trigger control and trigger control at speed. Follow the instructions, pay INCREDIBLE attention to how you are gripping the gun, how hard, how it feels, how your trigger finger feels, if you're pulling the trigger with the entire hand etc.

If you can honestly master, or get close to mastering, trigger control you'll be way ahead of the game.

Just ordered it. Start reading this weekend hopefully...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I feel like this is one of those situations where having a red dot mounted is really helpful to see exactly what the rest of the pistol is doing the WHOLE time. My dry firing has improved greatly since committing to the optic. Now I KNOW how much movement relative to my target I get.

and before the “don’t watch the dot” crowd chimes in, it’s all seen in peripheral vision.