Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unburnt clays powder

bradleygt

Was wondering if anyone else was having issues like this. 45ACP Federal cases, 200gr xtreme RN plated bullet, 4.0 gr clays powder and Federal match primer. When shooting this load I'm getting what I think is unburnt powder in the face. I'm going to try some different combinations of primers and powder. This is what I would consider the new Clays powder. I got this after the fire and you couldn't find any of the Clays powder anywhere.Shooting in a Springfield 1911.

Thanks Brad

Edited by bradleygt

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, ToddKS said:

I was having a similar problem with CCI primers and a different powder. I would have black specs all over my arms after shooting. I switched to Wichester primers and that resolved the problem.

I use Winchester and federal.  I'll watch to see if there is much of a difference between the two.  It's the same when I tried VVn310, which surprised me. 

• 2 months later...

Howdy- if the gun cycles ok and does not short stroke ( slide locks open after last round, etc. ) try a heavier crimp, or, as others have suggested, a modest increase in the powder charge. Sounds very nearly like what I experienced developing a .45 Schofield  light load to shoot in my Vaqueros years back. Used 165, 180, and 200 grain bullets with Trail Boss. Going as light as the data listed I got unburned and partially burned powder spewing out. Increased the crimp and problem decreased,  upped the charge and all was well.

• 3 months later...

Clays burns too slow to load it light, you get unburnt powder. Found this out when loading mouse fart 38SPL loads. Wasn't dirty, just powder everywhere. The load was pretty hilarious though, you could easily see the bullet in flight.

• 1 month later...

I just finished up 16 lbs of clays in my 45 and throughout i had unburnt all over my arms. The load felt right and performed well in my 1911. I just switched to aa2 and havent had the problem since. I probably would have kept using it if it was available when i last bought supplies

• 4 months later...
I guess I might need to get the chronograph out and increase the load a little. I see in a earlier thread that one person went up to 4.6.

Brad

That's a pretty stiff load. I would load a few and check for excessive pressure signs.

I reread this thread and I don't see the diameter you are using. I'm using .452.

I also didn't see anything about seating depth.

I used WSL1 years ago, an old Winchester shotgun powder. I don't remember if they quit making it but I did switch to Clay's, and one of the reasons was how well it burned.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk