Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom holster makers, yeah right...

Disclaimer this entire post was typed with the aid of Google Voice while driving down the road any errors problems missed punctuation misspelled words Etc are entirely the fault of the corporate giant Google and not me.

Seems like everybody has a home-based business making custom Kydex holsters, LOL, what a joke. Not intending to call anybody out but it seems that most of these people seem like they want to be blade-tech or Safariland and only make the same 10 model of holsters over and over again. I suppose I can't blame them but it would seem like if you were going to portray yourself as a true custom shop then maybe, I don't know, you might want to consider actually doing something custom?

Now I'm admit that my request is kind of weird in fact I've had two requests one that I've had for several years that I never have found anybody willing to make and one that I recently decided that I needed that I've asked several of these so-called custom Kydex makers to help me out only to be told oh no I can't possibly work on that.

Now I can hear the replies already but all ready but Barry it's so easy you can do it yourself you don't need to have somebody else make it you can make it your own self. I agree all of that is true however I don't really want to invest the time effort and skill required to do this, I'd rather support a small business somewhere, somebody that has already put the effort into learning how to make neat holsters that hold together and look halfway decent. This far all of my attempts have come out looking plain and rather crappy and I'm about 50-50 on actual functionality. It's not difficult but then it's not easy either.

The only thing I can think of is that both of my projects are pretty close to guaranteed to be one off because I own weird s*** that very few other people have this any effort put into my project is going to be for my project and doesn't translate into 7000 holsters sold as if I was asking them to make a Glock 17 holster or a Sig 320 LOL.

I guess that's enough of a rant for today

Edited by barrysuperhawk

I don't do it as a business, but out of curiosity what do you want?

Bending Kydex is really easy within reason, like most processes it is all in the prep, block the item being molded well and the end result is good. 

I think taking possession of your gun to mold off it would require an FFL if you aren't there with them. Drones are made for many but certainly not all models, drones aren't too hard to make, but gotta have the gun. Buying a real gun eats the profit of a lot of holsters, buying a drone eats the profit of at least a couple probably more like four, making a drone not counting the time will eat the profit of at least one. Making one offs at a loss might make you someone's hero but it is not necessarily good business practice, as it has the potential to create an expectation.

I  100% agree with everything you say Beef.  

Actually, what I am wanting are technically mag pouches, not actual gun holsters, but that does not invalidate any of your points.  I have also offered to either let the maker use my existing mag or to make a wooden mockup...

The items I'm needing mag pouches for are a grease gun magazine and a SRM 1216 magazine.

49 minutes ago, barrysuperhawk said:

I  100% agree with everything you say Beef.  

Actually, what I am wanting are technically mag pouches, not actual gun holsters, but that does not invalidate any of your points.  I have also offered to either let the maker use my existing mag or to make a wooden mockup...

The items I'm needing mag pouches for are a grease gun magazine and a SRM 1216 magazine.

Well I think your complaint is pretty valid for the grease gun mag, that should be easy enough for someone to make with just the thing's dimensions.

That SRM 1216 though, that thing's a beast, and the ones I see are polymer so you'd really wanna make a drone of some sort vs risking ruining a $200 mag, I kinda get their hesitation/refusal there. For vertical carry seems like maybe an aluminum platform with a couple short studs sticking up into the grooves to keep it from sliding off and a strap 1/3 to 1/2 way up to friction retain it might be better than what could be made of Kydex. It's a unique challenge. Best of luck. Would like to see whatever solution is devised.

Lol, I have been trying for 2 years to get grease gun mag pouches for pcc...

Hell, it was easier to get FN5.7 pouches...

Mostly what I am complaining about is every time I mention "I have this one off project" the eyes glaze over and interest wanes...  even thoughI totally understand why, and for the most part agree...

Edited by barrysuperhawk

• 1 month later...

Interesting. I built a few mag holders for grease gun and Reising mags around 15 years ago. They're ugly as sin, but they work. Now that I can buy BladeTech Tec Locks, it's even better. I built some Desert Eagle mag holders not long ago, because I couldn't find anything I liked. 

I may may have to try some new GG mag holders and see how they work out. 

UloQuuj.jpg

hcReNtw.jpg