Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Czechmate

Hammer002

Ok, reading and reading, and learning.  Thinking of going Open with the 9mm CZ Czechmate.  Both for USPSA competition and steel challenge light loads with light springs.  Opinions?  Currently shoot a full custom Tactical Sports in limited for uspsa.  Want to be able to capitalize on the idea it can be used for both applications and that I keep reading the Czechmate is one of the most reliable open guns.  Not new to reloading, but never done 9mm major, and respect its concerns.  Looking for some discussion nd maybe experiences.

thanks

They are great guns. Things to do right away:

Send mags to Beven Grams for tuning. 

Send barrel(s) to Beven for throating. 

Replace factory safeties with Shadow 2 safeties.

With those changes I think they are every bit as good as a 2011. 

3 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

They are great guns. Things to do right away:

Send mags to Beven Grams for tuning. 

Send barrel(s) to Beven for throating. 

Replace factory safeties with Shadow 2 safeties.

With those changes I think they are every bit as good as a 2011. 

Good info. Thanks

51 minutes ago, accu9 said:

Czechmates are fantastic open guns, they flat out run. They need nothing other than mag tuning (as with 2011's) and to ream the barrels. 

Czechmate.jpg

I am anti-mag tuning (that's the whole reason I don't shoot my 2011s!) so I only use MG CMJ and haven't had an issue since I switched from JHP.  

6 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

I am anti-mag tuning (that's the whole reason I don't shoot my 2011s!) so I only use MG CMJ and haven't had an issue since I switched from JHP.  

How many do you get in your 170s? Because everyone I know has had issues with their mags. With tuning 28-29 is easy and reliable. 

9 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

My magazines would not run regardless of bullet profile until Beven worked his magic with the tubes. Super fast turn around and he did an excellent job. 23-24 in the 140's and 28-29 in the 170's (CZC basepads and Grams springs/ follower).

5 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

How many do you get in your 170s? Because everyone I know has had issues with their mags. With tuning 28-29 is easy and reliable. 

29+1 every time

When I pushed my loaded rounds through a 38 super sizing die I got 30+1

1 hour ago, kneelingatlas said:

Yes, it's a little dirtier, a little more muzzle rise, but it's pretty good; I prefer HS6 over WAC.

Any load data you could share with hs6 would be appreciated. 

Thanks 

I used to own a Czechmate and I was pretty pleased with it. I have since gone to a 2011 but not due to how the gun shot. 

A few things I would advise. 

On the mag tuning, no need to send them off, it cam easily be done with a couple of drill bits and a vice. Do a search in my profile for a review of the Czechmate that shows it. 

I throated mine myself but you can make major without doing it. A throwing reamer is about fifty bucks and easy to do yourself. Just take your time if you decide to do it.

Don't try to go too light on springs. The only real trouble I ever had with mine was trying to go too light and having rounds not go into battery all the way. 

• 3 months later...