Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet Dodged /Loose choke

So I think this is the result of a choke tube working its way loose.

Factory Loads.  Muzzle has never hit the ground and my son was breaking clays right up until this happened (I was shooting (and missing))

It does look like the choke came loose, although up close the gap that appears is more a bevel in the choke.  The lighter grey is actually plastic from the wad (i think).

Mostly trying to confirm my theory that the choke got slightly loose, enough fouling built up to snag a wad and then kB.

75 rounds max through this gun with stock choke installed.

29027894_10215450155424138_8672220873991651328_o.jpg

I've shot a lot more rounds than that with a choke looser than yours appears to be. Did you visually inspect the choke before shooting? I'd be willing to bet there was an indentation or significant burr on the edge of the thread end before I'd put my money on it being loose enough to cause this. 

Actually a lot of the clay shooters I know have shot a choke out of the gun or seen it done, that would take a lot of rounds on a very loose choke to do.

Its never been out of the gun.  I can slip a business bard in between the breech and choke, thats the 'distance' its moved out.

My hope is that I get a warranty repair.  Not trying air grievances, but I had just never seen anything like this--not much of a shotgun person and chokes even less.

Worse comes to worse, a new barrel (kinda expensive, but cheaper than finger/toe surgery so I count myself lucky).

Yeah business card thickness is nothing in the world of loose chokes. Mine back out more than that by the end of every high round count stage. Something was very wrong with that gun when you got it and it should definitely be covered under warranty.

The end of the choke tube is actually about 1” farther down in the barrel. If the choke tube ripped loose and peeled up to the threads we see in your picture you will be able to see the missing section of the tube when looking into the bore....but your tube was not loose enough to cause this unless the choke tube was also not adequately concentric with the bore. Contact the manufacturer on Monday morning and see what they tell you.

Yes I can't remember specifically what model but its a versamax--'3 gun model' (oversized safety, charging handle, release, FO front sight) not sure specifically what they call it (it might be the tactical) circa 2014 vintage.  

I got some shade for the tacti-cool Flash hider, but i just wanted a nice semi-auto i start doing multi-gun with.  Hadn't even got around to changing chokes.

• 1 month later...

ARISE NECRO THREAD.

For all the whining and complaining people do, it is proper to notice when a Company does things right/nice.

I received a fully repaired VersaMax earlier this week.  No charge.  They even included both chokes (new).  Entire cost to me was buying a box to ship to Rem

Remington did this one right by me.

Now about those clays......