Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good Suitcase to Fly With Hand Guns

I’ve never flown with my guns.   I’m looking for a good hard side suitcase that’s:

24 inch

has 4 wheels

has TSA combo lock

I figure that will let me pack clothes, pistol & backup and 500 rounds.   Any recommendations?

500 rounds could put you over the 11 lb limit.. Although all the times Ive flown no one ever checked, when asked I just said I had under 11 lbs. Seemed knowing the rule was good enough. IIRC correctly 480 rounds of 40 180's was 11 lbs,

I use a hard sided Samsonite without zippers. Went to a luggage store and checked out what was available. Zipper closures are easy to defeat using a something like a pen. There was a group of airline employees here involved in a theft ring taking property from suitcases. 

I looked around for something special for awhile and ended up just going to a discount store and picking up a hardsided samsonite.

I would look into the size of checked bags. It is bigger than carry ons and since you have to check firearms anyway you might as well buy the bigger bag.

It has a zipper so you you use a TSA padlock on it. As far as defeating the zipper, I think any airline employee that wanted to be involved in a theft ring could also obtain a TSA key, so if they want in your bag they will get in it.

Mine has a liner inside that you can unzip and you can access the frame for the collapsible handle. I cable lock the guncase to that so you can't just remove the case that the firearm is in as easily.

11 minutes ago, bofe954 said:

I cable lock the guncase to that so you can't just remove the case that the firearm is in as easily.

This is an excellent method to keep your stuff from being easily taken. I too use a cable lock to the bag. 

On 3/11/2018 at 8:48 PM, Joe4d said:

500 rounds could put you over the 11 lb limit.. Although all the times Ive flown no one ever checked, when asked I just said I had under 11 lbs. Seemed knowing the rule was good enough. IIRC correctly 480 rounds of 40 180's was 11 lbs,

Luckily, I’m flying Alaska.  They allow 50#. 

Thanks for feedback all.   Going with a 24 in Samsonite without a cloth expansion. 

A little late..

But,

We just purchased a Pelican 1615 hard case, which is the largest Pelican case that is checkable.

Two wheels though, but what you're going to find is MOST suitcases have those wheels stapled into the cardboard bottom/side.  In long term travel will result in loss of a couple of those wheels.  In any event, Pelican makes a multitude of different sized cases that will work for most of your needs.