Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing: Project Nemesis

Rudukai13

Alright, had a chance to spend some time with this after work and have some additional thoughts to share. First off, it's fairly subjective but I do much prefer how the Springer magwell feels in my hand over the prior ANVL magwell. The geometry is much more natural and it does a very good job of forcing my hand higher on the grip of the gun.

The magwell also fits the shape of the grip module much better, and Springer sands the polymer of the grip's funnel so that the transition between the magwell and the polymer grip is much smoother.

The Springer magwell is if anything slightly more compact than the ANVL magwell, and conceals just as well in the T1C Agis as did the ANVL.

I'll have to get to the range and do some livefire to know for certain, but doing dryfire/practice draws at home I may honestly prefer the Compact grip with this magwell over the larger X-Series grip; I like being able to apply additional leverage with my stronghand pinky finger directly to the magwell as opposed to the pinky of my support hand resting on the magwell, as is the case with the X-Series grip setup;

IMG_2632.JPG

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back from the range with some rather surprising results to report. Shot another 300 rounds, which brings the system over the 2,500 total round mark. Shot a mix of the WWB 124gr NATO and Sig 124gr standard pressure FMJ. As always, no malfunctions to report. Testing was done by keeping as many variables as constant as possible - Shoot a couple magazines through the Compact grip module, then switch the comped top end and X300U over to the X-Carry grip module for a couple magazines, then back;

- The Springer magwell stayed rock solid right where it was supposed to be, as expected.

- Surprisingly, this initial testing would seem to indicate I can control the gun better with the Compact grip module. Something about the geometry of the Springer magwell and how my strong hand locks in place between the magwell and beavertail makes the gun not move at all once I've acquired my firing grip. With the fullsize X-Carry grip, I would occasionally have to adjust my grip between shots - I never once had to alter my grip on the Compact module.

- I control the recoil of the gun better with the Springer magwell as well. I believe this is a result of being able to directly apply leverage to the magwell with the pinky finger of my strong hand, as opposed to the X-Carry grip where the pinky of my support hand rests on the magwell and can't apply the same amount/type of immobilizing torque to the gun. To qualify this statement - with the X-Carry grip and compensated top end, the dot jumps up under recoil, disappears out of the window for a very brief moment, before settling back into place on the target. With the Compact grip+Springer magwell, the dot still jumps a bit due to recoil - but it never leaves the window of the optic before settling back on the target, which allows me to track it much better between shots.

- I can reach the magazine release on the Compact grip module without breaking my grip on the gun. With the X-Carry module, I have to twist the gun a bit in my hand in order to reliably release the magazine, which then requires re-adjusting back to my solid shooting grip after a magazine change.

Given these observations, and given the ability to very easily conceal the gun with the Compact grip module (even with the Springer magwell), I may decide to leave the gun set up as the "daywalking vampire"; compensated top end, Surefire X300U, Compact grip module, Springer magwell. If I can operate the gun and manage recoil better, AND the setup is easily concealed, I'm not sure it makes much sense to keep using the X-Carry grip module at this point. I'll of course be doing further testing over the next couple weeks to confirm this suspicion.

On a side note, with tonight's range trip done I've now burned through the initial 1,000 rounds of WWB 124gr NATO I purchased. Time for another bulk order...

After a bit of additional dryfire, practice draws, and practice drills at home comparing the differences between the Compact grip module w/ Springer magwell and the X-Carry grip, I am confident enough in my preference for the Compact grip module that I have sold off the X-Carry module.

Something about the combination of the Compact grip and the ESP magwell just works right with my hands. I'm able to control and operate the pistol better, and it feels vastly more ergonomic to me. Not to mention the benefit of making the whole gun concealable, which wouldn't have ever been possible with the larger X-Carry grip.

For me personally, the Compact grip with the magwell is the way to go for this pistol

I shot my version of this back to back with my Sti Steelmaster and video doesn't lie the 320 jumped a lot more i was surprised at this ..if i can figure how to up load the vids i will..

Any info on best place to upload to share vid? its only over the attachment by like 48mb..lol

Edited by Bud White

1 hour ago, Bud White said:

I shot my version of this back to back with my Sti Steelmaster and video doesn't lie the 320 jumped a lot more i was surprised at this ..if i can figure how to up load the vids i will..

Any info on best place to upload to share vid? its only over the attachment by like 48mb..lol

To be honest I'm not surprised at all, you're effectively comparing a polymer duty pistol with a comp strapped on the end of it to a finely-tuned, $3,000 competition gun. Of course the F1 car is going to handle better than a Toyota coupe, even if you did put nice suspension and better tires on the Toyota

9 hours ago, Bud White said:

True i didn't expect it to be as flat shooting but i expecting something i think the x carry has less muzzle jump than the  320 Special  with the same loads  should be but vid sure looks like it  

What load were you using? Mine definitely doesn't hit its stride in terms of compensation effect until I put some +P or the Winchester NATO (effectively a +P load) through it

It’s a 124 lead with hs-6 not sure the charge off top of my head  

wonder if if it’s the style of comp you can really see the blast from the sti comp and it keeps it flat

i might have to try some +p loads then

i know one mag I had 2 types of loads in went from ejection to the right to I’m guessing hitting the Romeo 1 and throwing them forward

13 minutes ago, Rudukai13 said:

My suggestion would just be don't make your basis of comparison a fully-built Open division 2011, cause if that's your benchmark then a comped P320/Glock/M&P is always going to be a disappointment

Well of course any tupperware is gonna be a disappointment to that .. but i thought the comp would at least do something especially with the same load ..a noticeable  reduction in flip but yeah not really  .. the Xcarry with the same load seems to shoot better and not recoil as much .. figure the reduced slide mass is why  to bad the sig barrel would drop right into it i think that would have been a better setup 

Edited by Bud White

I know from going to the range and switching between the comped X-Carry slide and the non-comped RX Compact slide (all other variables including grip module, flashlight, and ammo the same) there is certainly a noticeably appreciable difference in recoil with the compensator as opposed to without. There is certainly a more noticeable difference when I used +P or +P+ loads of the same bullet weight between the compensated and non-compensated top ends

Had some time off today and spent a bit reflecting on this project and where to go from here.

When I first purchased this pistol, my goal was to build the most capable defensive handgun platform utilizing modern components and practices. In this, the compensated Compact grip module format, I believe I've accomplished that goal.

This is the most accurate, softest shooting, most ergonomic, most broadly capable handgun I have ever owned, all while being comfortably concealable under even the lightest of shirts. The gun feels like it was crafted to fit my hands specifically. Using a combination of the 15+2 round magazine and a 17+6 round spare mag, I'm easily able to comfortably carry 40 rounds in total with me on a daily basis, concealed. I will be on the lookout for other parts and components to try out as the aftermarket support for this platform continues to grow, but as far as the basic equation is concerned I don't think I can get much better than this configuration.

So what's left to do? Build an identical redundant pistol as a backup and shoot the hell out of both of them, of course. I can hear my bank account screaming already;

IMG_2698.JPG

15 minutes ago, Rudukai13 said:

Got a couple of shipping notifications in fairly rapid succession today, more good stuff on the way...

I love that love the delivery notices more got some stuff shipped pretty quick sister is picking up mail while I’m on vacation says I’ve got few packages of goodies waiting for another project I’m working on

I recently got an X300U-A for my X-Carry. Installed the picatinny plate, it audibly clicks into place, but has some play in all directions. Is this normal? I took it to the range the other day and it stayed locked on, but I feel it should mount more solid. I called SureFire and they’re sending me new rails and plates, just in case it’s a problem with the light. If that doesn’t work, should I return it and try the B model? Thanks for any info. 

You'll notice that in the earlier pictures of this thread my pistol has a X300U-A model attached and more recent pictures I've switched over to the X300U-B - It's for exactly the reason you're describing. No matter what I tried, the A model light had some wiggle and never felt particularly solid. The B model X300U with the picatinny rail key mounts solidly with zero play in any direction and is much more reassuring. Plus, it's really not that much more difficult to take off and put on than the A model