Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing: Project Nemesis

Rudukai13

Wanted to get a range day in before a blizzard shuts the state down tomorrow. 300 more malfunction-free rounds through RS320B today, bringing the total to just under 1,000 rounds without issue.

One interesting development, the R1 optic on RS320A (with 4,200 rounds through it) has started to flicker on and off when the slide cycles. I know it's not a dead battery as I just changed that yesterday. I'm going to try bending the contacts up a bit to get better engagement - If that doesn't solve the problem, it'll be going to Sig to get fixed.

Additionally, continuing to shoot both of these guns side by side has done nothing but confirm my preference for the Apex trigger kit, as well as appreciation for the ESP magwell. If you have a P320, I highly recommend getting each installed;

IMG_3846.JPG

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to a post on another forum, having to wait for funds to send the RS320B grip module off for magwell work might actually turn out to be a positive - Sounds like Springer is working on FDE and ODG versions of their magwells. It's a purely aesthetic thing, but if it's possible to get an ODG magwell to match the ODG grip module, I might just go for it...

Looks like I can confirm, I've run into my first significant issue with this platform. The Romeo1 on RS320A (round count 4,200 all with this same optic) is now going out randomly when just sitting in the safe or my holster and doesn't come back on until I unscrew the battery cover and re-tighten it. I know for certain it's not a dead battery. I'll be contacting Sig tomorrow to get it sent in for service, and will update the thread when I hear from them as to what the issue is.

And happy (late) 3/20 day!

IMG_3909.JPG

Bummer about the Romeo 1. I've had a couple of customers have theirs start to drift over time, but none of the battery issues. Slide ride optics get beat. Frame mounted R1 on my open gun just chugs along.

Any progress on the Sight Tracker project?

3 minutes ago, WhiteDingo said:

Bummer about the Romeo 1. I've had a couple of customers have theirs start to drift over time, but none of the battery issues. Slide ride optics get beat. Frame mounted R1 on my open gun just chugs along.

Any progress on the Sight Tracker project?

I've identified all the necessary components and secured confirmation that the small amount of custom work required can be handled by a third party manufacturer. The ST320 is next on the projects list once RS320B gets wrapped up (just need magwell and trigger and it'll be done).

Work has been slow for a while so I haven't had much spending money to put towards guns, but I'm starting a new job this week that should correct the cashflow issues I've been having and can start to make progress again soon. Lots more to come in this thread, apologies for the frustrating lull in activity!

• 2 weeks later...

Placed an order for a Compact RX slide this morning. Plan on using that for the comp install, and keeping my X-Carry slide as is. Any reason you went with the Springer comp over the Parker Mountain Machine comp? I also noticed that the X-Five magwell and grip weight are available for purchase separately now, still deciding if I'll order those separate and add them to my Carry grip module or just buy the full X-Five grip. Purely for aesthetic reasons, I prefer the look of the PMM comp with the full size grip, but like the Springer with the shorter rail on the Carry size. I don't particularly plan on concealed carrying this gun, so I'm not worried about the slighter larger dimensions of the X-Five grip. More concerned with buying the better performing compensator and I suppose that will dictate which route I go with the grip module. Decisions, decisions. Excited to try out my first RDS on a pistol. Thanks for any input.

At this point I'm so used to pistols with RDS that it looks dramatically incomplete without it...RS320A's R1 will be in the mail to Sig by tomorrow. Until I get it back and mounted back up, the RS320B top end will be mated to the RS320A grip and FCU. This is precisely why I wanted to have a backup duplicate - I'm not without a functional pistol while things are getting repaired

IMG_3949.JPG

On 3/29/2019 at 9:46 AM, EricZ said:

Placed an order for a Compact RX slide this morning. Plan on using that for the comp install, and keeping my X-Carry slide as is. Any reason you went with the Springer comp over the Parker Mountain Machine comp? I also noticed that the X-Five magwell and grip weight are available for purchase separately now, still deciding if I'll order those separate and add them to my Carry grip module or just buy the full X-Five grip. Purely for aesthetic reasons, I prefer the look of the PMM comp with the full size grip, but like the Springer with the shorter rail on the Carry size. I don't particularly plan on concealed carrying this gun, so I'm not worried about the slighter larger dimensions of the X-Five grip. More concerned with buying the better performing compensator and I suppose that will dictate which route I go with the grip module. Decisions, decisions. Excited to try out my first RDS on a pistol. Thanks for any input.

At the time I was putting the first build together PMM hadn't released their comp yet. I chose the Springer Shorty with Bar-Sto comp-specific threaded barrel because that was the combination that would closest match the overall length of the X300U bezel, while also fitting most holsters. I've been extremely pleased with the performance of the Springer comp, and while I will be branching out to try other compensators on different future builds, my formula for any RS320 build will stick with the Springer Shorty + Bar-Sto barrel setup.

That said, with the data PMM has released on the performance of their system, it certainly appears to be a fantastic option as well

On 3/21/2019 at 4:01 AM, Rudukai13 said:

The Romeo1 on RS320A (round count 4,200 all with this same optic) is now going out randomly when just sitting in the safe or my holster and doesn't come back on until I unscrew the battery cover and re-tighten it.

Could this be the problem where the battery lid is not torqued down tight enough? I've read that tight is not tight enough and that the plastic tool provided won't get it tight enough. It takes a metal tool and I believe it's 10 ft-lbs of torque (more than you would guess by feel).

12 hours ago, BobRockefeller said:

Could this be the problem where the battery lid is not torqued down tight enough? I've read that tight is not tight enough and that the plastic tool provided won't get it tight enough. It takes a metal tool and I believe it's 10 ft-lbs of torque (more than you would guess by feel).

Possibly, but that doesn't explain why it only just started occurring or why it's not being replicated in the second R1 on RS320B. I've used the same supplied plastic tool to tighten the battery cover on both optics since I first got them and this issue has only just appeared on the one optic. So, it's possible but unlikely given other factors

8 hours ago, Rudukai13 said:

Possibly, but that doesn't explain why it only just started occurring or why it's not being replicated in the second R1 on RS320B. I've used the same supplied plastic tool to tighten the battery cover on both optics since I first got them and this issue has only just appeared on the one optic. So, it's possible but unlikely given other factors

Well, time and wear have taken thier toll. And different optics may wear differently. It sure couldn't hurt to give the battery a firm tightening with a metal screwdriver to be sure before giving up.

Was on the waiting list for when the GrayGuns laser sculpted grip modules were back in stock, just got the email. Order is placed. I love my standard X-Series grip, fits my hand like no other firearm I’ve owned or handled, I’m hoping this will be enough of an improvement to justify the $115. Also have a TRex Arms light compatible Ragnarok (standard belt loops) in the mail and a shroud for the Romeo. The holster and shroud will be here Friday. Waited on zeroing the new optic/slide until I install the shroud. Should I Amazon Prime a torque screwdriver ($60) to install the shroud or does anyone think that’s a waste and just go by feel? Now I need to order the grip weight and X-Five magwell. I know it won’t accept standard mags, any idea if it’ll take them with the Taran Tactical +2s? They seemed to have stop making the higher capacity ones. 

I would err on the side of caution and make sure the R1 screws are properly torqued. The X-Five magwell should be compatible with the TTI +2 base pads, but as be032 mentioned the TTI +5 pads appear to be in stock at Stoeger’s Pro Shop;

https://benstoegerproshop.com/tti-sig-sauer-p320-9-40-5-base-pad-by-taran-tactical/

Thanks guys, glad I can get my hands on the +5s, I’ll probably get 2 of those and one +2. I ended up ordering a torque screwdriver from Amazon last night, figured better safe than sorry. That and the shroud will be here tomorrow. Don’t know when the grip will arrive, but I’ll post a picture once I have that. I’m really just down to magwell, basepads, weight, barrel and comp. Damn, and a trigger. Busy season is over being a bartender in FL, so that might have to wait a little. Shouldn’t have started another motorcycle build and this gun project at the same time. 

Package received from Sig today, according to the manifest they decided to replace the optic with an entirely new one, which will include their most current generation circuit board and programming updates. Range time scheduled for this evening, will try to drop off the optic with RS320A’s slide tonight to be properly mounted and re-zeroed by my gunsmith.

As soon as my tax refund hits I’ll also be sending off RS320B’s grip module for Springer magwell treatment. Progress soon!

94A795B1-BFF7-4942-A2D8-2217308B3049.jpeg

300 more rounds through the RS320B top end, currently mated to the RS320A FCU and grip module. Spent time tonight focusing on slidelock and retention reloads. Group shown is about 150 rounds, shot between 5 and 10 yards. The sight on RS320B is still only roughly zeroed, and clearly needs to be adjusted up some for proper POA/POI...

That said the new R1 and RS320A’s top end are with my gunsmith to be properly mounted and zeroed, and they said it should be ready by the end of this weekend...

E54A61BE-2A6D-4C9C-97CA-0E3C898C6E1B.jpeg

If anyone in the Denver area is interested in putting a few rounds through RS320 themselves, I’ll be at Centennial Gun Club the afternoon of April 25th from 3-4pm, meeting another shooter so he can get a feel for the build. Let me know if anyone else is interested and I’ll tell you which lane I have reserved.

https://centennialgunclub.com/

...Aaaand we’re back, RS320A reassembled into working order. Dropped RS320B back into the X-Carry grip module for now in preparation to send the ODG Compact grip out to Springer. Another benefit of the P320 platform - when you send your “frame” out for work, as long as you have a spare your pistol isn’t out of commission. I love this damn gun;

F11DC70E-4B4F-477F-9720-9F6DD011871A.jpeg

Tax refund hit so made my order for ESP magwell and installation from Springer. Ended up purchasing an ESP magwell for both the ODG Compact grip module as well as the FDE Compact grip module while I was at it. Those will go in the mail tomorrow and based on Springer’s prior turnaround times I should have them back with magwells installed in a week or two!