Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mailing ammo to yourself for matches

On 4/25/2018 at 10:22 AM, bwikel said:

I have flown several times with blue 100 rd MTM ammo boxes and have never been questioned by Delta or American. 

Same, they seem to like that they can see in them as well.  

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve found it easy just to UPS expected round count +100 to the match and bring an extra hundred in my checked baggage. Any extra is still ubder the weight limit with United. It is kinda nice showing up and the match and having it there for me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2019 at 7:59 AM, Novagunner said:

I’ve found it easy just to UPS expected round count +100 to the match and bring an extra hundred in my checked baggage. Any extra is still ubder the weight limit with United. It is kinda nice showing up and the match and having it there for me.

Having extra ammo on hand is a good idea.  I remember one guy on my squad ran out of ammo because he had to reshoot a stage.

On 5/13/2019 at 12:38 PM, CSEMARTIN said:

Having extra ammo on hand is a good idea.  I remember one guy on my squad ran out of ammo because he had to reshoot a stage.

I went to a lot of major matches... I have seen shooters shot reshoots maybe 4 times.... 

On 1/12/2019 at 5:07 PM, GrumpyOne said:

Yes. And UPS will not tell you what to put on the package...you have to find out for yourself and put it on the package BEFORE you get to the UPS store.

Any you most likely have to go to a hub and not the little individual ups store.

On 3/27/2019 at 11:25 PM, blaese490 said:

Mail to your match hotel. 

On 5/14/2019 at 7:49 PM, rowdyb said:

and yes, i've shipped to my hotel, just calling them directly to please hold it for me.

I'm not sure I would trust the hotel to not loose my ammo.  Of the three options available, sending ammo the the MD seems like the best solution.

If you decide to fly with ammo/firearms, print off the TSA and individual airlines regulations to take with you.  The people at the ticket counter won't always know their own rules.  Having a printed copy has helped me in the past.

1 hour ago, CSEMARTIN said:

I'm not sure I would trust the hotel to not loose my ammo.  Of the three options available, sending ammo the the MD seems like the best solution.

If you decide to fly with ammo/firearms, print off the TSA and individual airlines regulations to take with you.  The people at the ticket counter won't always know their own rules.  Having a printed copy has helped me in the past.

As an aside having the TSA rules printed hasn't saved me from individual airline employees doing whatever they feel like and messing my stuff up and delaying my travel. It often feels like and "us-versus-them" arrangement and not something collaborative. I trust no one at the airport.

Secondly, I've had match staff that was too busy to return any email or phone call. Arrived to find my box had been thrown in a pile, stored outside in the open or even off site from the match with no communication about it. On the other hand, and maybe it is because I don't stay at cheap places when I travel, but hotel staff has always called me back, always answered my questions and never mistreated an ammo package I've delivered. And they're around 24/7 and in the same location you are, very unlike match staff.

39 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

As an aside having the TSA rules printed hasn't saved me from individual airline employees doing whatever they feel like and messing my stuff up and delaying my travel. It often feels like and "us-versus-them" arrangement and not something collaborative. I trust no one at the airport.

Secondly, I've had match staff that was too busy to return any email or phone call. Arrived to find my box had been thrown in a pile, stored outside in the open or even off site from the match with no communication about it. On the other hand, and maybe it is because I don't stay at cheap places when I travel, but hotel staff has always called me back, always answered my questions and never mistreated an ammo package I've delivered. And they're around 24/7 and in the same location you are, very unlike match staff.

You've made some valid points and have me thinking.....

The issue I had at an airport was flying with my ammo in the blue plastic containers.  The airline staff didn't want to let me through, but when I showed them their regulations, they conceded.

4 minutes ago, CSEMARTIN said:

You've made some valid points and have me thinking.....

The issue I had at an airport was flying with my ammo in the blue plastic containers.  The airline staff didn't want to let me through, but when I showed them their regulations, they conceded.

For 3 years I flew to 12 matches a year. That's 72 trips to the airport with guns and ammo. Any competitor who flies that much could spend hours telling you of dealing with irritation at the airport.

You probably have a gun shop you consider "yours". They probably are pretty good at shipping stuff and do it regularly. Rather than go to the customer hub to ship ammo I like to use my shop relationship and show up with a package all packed so they just do the label and orm d stuff and off it goes with their regular pick ups. I don't do it last second, I don't put time pressure on the shop and I pay them a little extra above just the shipping rate for doing it for me. I like to deal with people who like me if possible.

Edited by rowdyb